Summit to be Decommishened?

rleigh

Also interested in this as we have a deposit on Summit for March 30 2019 out of San Juan

We are on this sailing as well. Since it's so far out, I haven't even checked to see if there's a roll call setup yet. We love the Summit and haven't sailed her in a long while since the last 3 Summit cruises we booked have been chartered. Hopefully this one's a go!

We are on this sailing as well. Since it's so far out, I haven't even checked to see if there's a roll call setup yet. We love the Summit and haven't sailed her in a long while since the last 3 Summit cruises we booked have been chartered. Hopefully this one's a go!

since the last 3 Summit cruises we booked have been chartered.

I've seen statements like this on a few occasions. Are you saying you had cruises booked and they got pulled out from under you? If so, did you get any compensation? I'd want a bundle.

since the last 3 Summit cruises we booked have been chartered.

I've seen statements like this on a few occasions. Are you saying you had cruises booked and they got pulled out from under you? If so, did you get any compensation? I'd want a bundle.

Yes. They chartered and cancelled them on us. Two cruises they offered $200 OBC and one cruise was $100 OBC. They price matched for the same category as long as you booked one of the cruises offered as a replacement. Chartering cruises is pretty common among cruise lines. Summit though has has been chartered frequently in the last few years.

Yes. They chartered and cancelled them on us. Two cruises they offered $200 OBC and one cruise was $100 OBC. They price matched for the same category as long as you booked one of the cruises offered as a replacement. Chartering cruises is pretty common among cruise lines. Summit though has has been chartered frequently in the last few years.

Curious if you already had airfare was anything done to compensate you for any change of destination or canceling of flight

The revolution- so be it- maybe they found a way to add another string of cabins somewhere on the ship, previously public lounges- to cram more pax into their ship- nice idea- and then call it revolution. Add a new sundeck for suite guests and I presume Michaels Club will be renamed( also only suites) !

Hmmmm...we are booked on the Summit for March 2, 2019. Y'all are freaking me out! Why would they let us book/deposit/pay if the ship is going to dry dock? Is there a time when this will be "officially" published so we can make changes?

Thanks for your thoughts!

• 5 months later...
It’s absolutely amazing how these stories get started. If you do any fact checking at all you can see the Summit is available for Bermuda cruises through September 2019, then other cruises beyond that. Fake news !

The Summit is going into dry dock for five weeks in February and March, and is being completely remodeled. We were just on the ship last week.

The Century is/was not a Millennium Class Ship. There are four: Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation.

Century was the C(entury) Class. Century, Mercury and Galaxy.

There was a rumor many years ago that Century was going to be stretched, never happened and Century was a C class ship.

Please read this Press Release from the Celebrity Website. There is a timeline to revolutionize all ships and Summit will be one of the first to be done at the beginning of 2019.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/press-releases/July-17-2018

This is the timeline for completion:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/revolution/schedule/

Please read this Press Release from the Celebrity Website. There is a timeline to revolutionize all ships and Summit will be one of the first to be done at the beginning of 2019.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/press-releases/July-17-2018

This is the timeline for completion:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/revolution/schedule/

And if you had read the date of the original post, you would have realised this is an old thread - 2 years old - easy to miss ;).

I cannot imagine they would as they just refurbished it.

Not necessarily true. We sailed Galaxy right before they sold her. We were commenting how nice it was that they fixed her up, only to hear a few weeks after our sailing that she was sold. So unfortunately I don't think we can take it as a given that all the M class ships will stay, although I certainly hope so!

There’s a major difference between a cleanup on the Galaxy and the major ‘Revolution’ modifications they are doing to the Summit and all other Celebrity ships, so I’d put the chance of the Summit being sold at None to Zero, or somewhere in between.

It’s always nice to see threads such as this that were started in early 2016, resurrected in early 2018 and now again. Neat to see that our guesses about how Celebrity business is run is about a accurate then as it is now.

Den

There’s a major difference between a cleanup on the Galaxy and the major ‘Revolution’ modifications they are doing to the Summit and all other Celebrity ships, so I’d put the chance of the Summit being sold at None to Zero, or somewhere in between.

It’s always nice to see threads such as this that were started in early 2016, resurrected in early 2018 and now again. Neat to see that our guesses about how Celebrity business is run is about a accurate then as it is now.

Den

Good point. There were a lot of refurbishings done to Galaxy but they didn't change the ship to the extent Revolution is.

The M class ships have been touted around ship brokers for a number of years just as the earlier class of ships were. It may be that X have found a buyer for one hence it will be taken out of service. I was on the Century for one of her last cruises. If Summit has recently undergone a refurb it may just be the catalyst for a sale.

With the Edge class of ships coming on stream it would be naiive to say that as they come on stream the M class will fall off. Larger ships are becoming the norm in order to remain competitive. M class may just have had their day

Good point. There were a lot of refurbishings done to Galaxy but they didn't change the ship to the extent Revolution is.

I would be skeptical of the extent of Revolution until it is done. It is easy to announce big plans but sometimes they aren’t carried out to the extent announced.

The M class ships have been touted around ship brokers for a number of years just as the earlier class of ships were. It may be that X have found a buyer for one hence it will be taken out of service. I was on the Century for one of her last cruises. If Summit has recently undergone a refurb it may just be the catalyst for a sale.

With the Edge class of ships coming on stream it would be naiive to say that as they come on stream the M class will fall off. Larger ships are becoming the norm in order to remain competitive. M class may just have had their day

It is a given that someday Summit will leave the fleet. Maybe it will happen in a year, maybe in ten years. Speculation about when is not very useful. This thread was started in 2016 and it hasn’t happened yet. The original poster said 2018. Not much time left.....It really does not matter. It wouldn’t surprise me if they sold it in a year, or kept it in the fleet another ten years.

Off topic but I hate this thread because of the misspelling in the topic header. Very annoying.

Edited by Charles4515

I often wonder how and why these old threads get resurrected. At some point they should be closed for posting, or at least the date of the original post should show up.

MaryLou- agree with you here. Expiration date needed on threads. Maybe 2 years? Older threads should be archived. Users could have the ability to search archives vs current boards but at least they then know the info is old.

MaryLou- agree with you here. Expiration date needed on threads. Maybe 2 years? Older threads should be archived. Users could have the ability to search archives vs current boards but at least they then know the info is old.

Personally IMO threads should be locked after 6 months. Things change so much now that most threads are obsolete after that much time. Like you said you can still search and read but you would not be able to add new posts.

Personally IMO threads should be locked after 6 months. Things change so much now that most threads are obsolete after that much time. Like you said you can still search and read but you would not be able to add new posts.

TripAdvisor which owns Cruise Critic expires old threads like that. You can still search and read but they use different software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading all the ‘why is this thread still alive and be added to’, I deleted my masterful response on why no M-Class will be sold off. Oh well. Can someone else start a thread suggesting that after the major redesign that you think M-Class ships be sold???

Den