Paying full for a 7 month baby?

Extra Kim

A passenger is a passenger - each one brings the ship closer to a full load, which keeps the line from selling any more berths; and babies do not buy drinks, so they do not contribute to profits.

But to pursue OP's thoughts: if a six month-old goes free, how much should a line charge for a one year old, a three year old, a five year old, a twelve year old, etc.?

Perhaps the line made the right decision - they have driven away a possible passenger who wants to be able to limit the line's profitability --- by having non fare-paying, non on-board spenders take up slots they could much more profitably sell.

Hi, NBT,

I don't see your point about at what age the line is drawn for pricing :confused:

It's exactly the same as excluding infants under 6 months on cruise ships, laws for under-age drinking, driving, sex, criminal prosecution, etc, or for "kids eat free", half-price venue admissions and ground transportation and a million other applications.

A line is drawn - simples.

However, you certainly make a valid point about lifeboat capacity - regardless of whether an infant would sit in the parent's lap, I see nowhere in SOLAS regulations any mention of ages, I only see "number of souls on board".

But since MSC don't charge, since one or two more minor lines don't charge, since NCL didn't charge up to a few years ago, and since various lines offer free or cut-price juvenile places on some cruises, clearly too many bean-counters are taking control in most cruise line head offices.

It's all about dollars and cents, with less and less emphasis on customer satisfaction.

Ain't that the way of the world :rolleyes:

JB :)

(in grumpy-old-man-mode ;))

Perhaps it's the cruise line's attempt to keep babies and kids off the cruise. [emoji51]

To ME, this a VERY GOOD THING.

I don't mind kids, if well behaved and not disruptive. I know kids are kids, I even used to be one, there there is a limit.

But few kids these days seem to be under ANY control, and the parents are oblivious to the affect on others around them (screaming kids in restaurants and theaters, kids running amok in inappropriate places).

Royal want us to pay a full cruise fare for a 7 month old baby. Are they kidding me?

Our TA called Royal twice and they told her the same thing both times.

Not kidding. Age is never a factor as to cruise prices. Only berth number in a cabin. Person 3 in a cabin pays the same price whether they are 6 months, 6 years or 66

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well they lost four adults paying for two balcony cabins. We won't pay 1250 $ for a 7 month old baby, others might but we don't. We sail twice every year and I guess that there's other companys that will be happy to take our money. I love cruising but to me this is just gready.

Nope not greedy at all. The cost of doing business. More like parents have unrealistic and miserly demands. Kids are expensive and create a lot of extra work on a cruise( or any vacation). The cruiseline will not miss you and they will have no problem selling those Cabins

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MSC would provide an option with this - just be sure to check the policies and guidelines regarding bookings with this program.

And to be clear it is not just RCI that charges for children - as indicated most mass market cruise lines do. So if it is greedy, it is pretty much industry wide greed. This has evolved over the years and all still offer promo's from time to time regarding this.

But MSC is the exception - for now.........

Nailed it..for now.

Hi, NBT,

I don't see your point about at what age the line is drawn for pricing :confused:

It's exactly the same as excluding infants under 6 months on cruise ships, laws for under-age drinking, driving, sex, criminal prosecution, etc, or for "kids eat free", half-price venue admissions and ground transportation and a million other applications.

A line is drawn - simples.

To the extent that "a line is drawn" at any age, it does have to be drawn somewhere. The quibblers among us (and, I am sure you have noticed one or two on these boards) might argue that some one age or some other should be the threshold. But even so, there must be a line somewhere - so that three-month line (when infants are permitted at all) can also logically serve as the point at which passengers pay.

If some line allows discounts, or freebies of any sort, it does not mean that some other line which does not is acting irrationally.

To the extent that "a line is drawn" at any age, it does have to be drawn somewhere. The quibblers among us (and, I am sure you have noticed one or two on these boards) might argue that some one age or some other should be the threshold. But even so, there must be a line somewhere - so that three-month line (when infants are permitted at all) can also logically serve as the point at which passengers pay.

If some line allows discounts, or freebies of any sort, it does not mean that some other line which does not is acting irrationally.

Just to clarify, with RCI - and I think most cruise lines - the minimum age to sail is 6 months. And it is 12 months if the itinerary has 2 or more consecutive sea days.

If children under a certain age should be able to travel for free or at a significant discount, then anyone over 65 should also be able to travel for free or at the same discount. This well thought out opinion is based on my 67 years of thinking about such things, by the way. ;p:p:):halo:

If children under a certain age should be able to travel for free or at a significant discount, then anyone over 65 should also be able to travel for free or at the same discount. This well thought out opinion is based on my 67 years of thinking about such things, by the way. ;p:p:):halo:

I have a year or so more experience than you of thinking about such things and tend to agree with you - but have to note that most young children do not contribute to wine stewards' or bars' revenues the way we "seasoned" cruisers do - so whatever benefit offered them should be increased in our case as a matter of simple fair play.

Well they lost our money for the next coming years that's for sure.

Might try MSC instead, they have some new ships that look intressting.

This topic pops up frequently.

Highly doubt any cruise line worries that they "lost your money."

Good luck with MSC.

I think children 2 and under should sail free, as long as they promise to purchase a lot of alcohol and shore excursions to off set the discount, and promise to go down with the ship so as not to take up valuable space in a life boat.;p

By the way, I do understand why children are normally charged no different than an adult and it makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by cruzeluver
more info

Good luck with MSC.

Royal is banking on tho OP forgetting about Royal's current kids pricing when the economy/industry turns down and they get despite to fill their ships.

If the OP likes MSC or Princess or another more kid friendly (actually it's 'parents of kids' friendly) cruise line and becomes loyal to that brand, then Royal will start worrying about the OP's lost money.

Good luck with MSC.

And, if a ship does sail full, as many currently do, just how have they "lost" ANY money by charging fares for every person carried - while more of them are better on-board spenders than the typical infant?

Royal is banking on tho OP forgetting about Royal's current kids pricing when the economy/industry turns down and they get despite to fill their ships.

If the OP likes MSC or Princess or another more kid friendly (actually it's 'parents of kids' friendly) cruise line and becomes loyal to that brand, then Royal will start worrying about the OP's lost money.

Or maybe they will start charging more for them if profits increase.

Well they lost four adults paying for two balcony cabins. We won't pay 1250 $ for a 7 month old baby, others might but we don't. We sail twice every year and I guess that there's other companys that will be happy to take our money. I love cruising but to me this is just gready.

Bye. Don't hit the stateroom door on the way out.

DON

On who's part? Yours or the cruise line's? :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan

On MSC, infants under the age of two years sail free, kids under 18 at reduced fares.

That's their standard policy, not confined to "special deals"

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

On DCL, kids have have reduced price, if they are the 3rd/4th guest in the room. The first two people in any room pay full fare, regardless of age.

The children's rate varies depending on the age of the child (under 3 pays less than 3-12)

On MSC, infants under the age of two years sail free, kids under 18 at reduced fares.

That's their standard policy, not confined to "special deals"

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/Cruise-Deals/Our-Fares.aspx

Effective summer 2018, MSC is tightening their rules for "free kids". https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Deals/Kids-Cruise-Free.aspx.

Under age 2, free on all sailings (must still pay taxes, port charges, ins, etc.). Between 2 and 11, free, subject to limited availability on certain sailings. Between 11 and 17, free only in low and mid-season, subject to limited availability.

They are modifying their business model as they more fully engage the US market.

I understand that Royal won't care as long as their ships sail full. But we normaly have the opportunety to sail during the low season. And with more and more mega ships coming out, some day the demand will not be as high as it is right now.

It might take years but some day it might have a impact, we are not the only once with children.

We have been loyal to the Royal family on our last 8 cruises (7 on RCI and 1 on Celebrity). We where planing on bringing family members on this cruise, that's new to cruising. Now this will be on another line.

Time will tell.

however, at 69 years of age my dad will eat his weight worth during the cruise, totally justifying the $619+tax+tips, but a 7 month old won't. :)

however, at 69 years of age my dad will eat his weight worth during the cruise, totally justifying the $619+tax+tips, but a 7 month old won't. :)

You dad will probably generate more profit with onboard sales, which is where most of the profit comes from.