Enjoying the Ship

On our cruise this fall on Jewel I want to try to be mindful of enjoying our ship as part of our vacation. I mean, we're paying a couple hundred dollars a day for the cabin, food and amenities so I want to enjoy it not just look at it as a means to get to the ports. There is even one day I think we're going to spend the day on the ship as we're not excited about the port.

I'm looking for some advice as to the best way to get the most out of the ship if we do stay aboard instead of getting off at port. What do you do if you stay aboard?

Does that make sense?

It does make sense. Lots of frequent cruisers prefer to stay on board at ports they have visited before.

Jewel is one of the smaller ships, so not as much to do or explore as the bigger ships. Pools on any ship tend to be quieter and less crowded. You may find the spa offers special sale prices on certain services. Just a good time to rest and relax as everywhere is less crowded.

My idea of an enjoyable day is sitting at the pool, reading...or if I get caught up in conversation, which happens frequently, then some reading time on the balcony. A leisurely "getting ready for dinner", drinks,....after all, I'm on vacation!

Just do what suits YOU!

Port days are a great day to have fewer crowds aboard!

We did something like this recently in Nassau - it was a 13 hour stop, and we walked around Nassau for maybe two hours to see the sites and get a couple of beers at Pirate Republic. Had no desire to do anything else in Nassau, so we got back on the ship and it was great having it be quiet. Obviously to me it would depend on the port, but we enjoyed it.

We always have a balcony cabin so we sit on the balcony enjoying the sights and sounds around the port. You also have a front row seat to watch for the last minute runners.

Don

We did something like this recently in Nassau - it was a 13 hour stop, and we walked around Nassau for maybe two hours to see the sites and get a couple of beers at Pirate Republic. Had no desire to do anything else in Nassau, so we got back on the ship and it was great having it be quiet. Obviously to me it would depend on the port, but we enjoyed it.

That is funny, we did the exact same thing the last time we were in Nassau. Loved Pirate Republic and were back on the ship for lunch. Also nice to have the pool area so quite.

My idea of an enjoyable day is sitting at the pool, reading...or if I get caught up in conversation, which happens frequently, then some reading time on the balcony. A leisurely "getting ready for dinner", drinks,....after all, I'm on vacation!

Just do what suits YOU!

Port days are a great day to have fewer crowds aboard!

I couldn't have said it better !! While I'm not a 'pool' person, I DO love to walk the entire ship. especially on 'Sea days' just marveling at the beauty of the ship. Or after breakfast, I'll check out the ship's dallies to see IF there's an activity I might check into or as stated above I'll sit outside and watch the beautiful blue-green ocean flow beside the ship. That's the real JOY of cruising, doing what you want to do OR doing nothing !:D

One of the things so many folks avoid is getting to know folks. Your dining table, great place to make friends, same at bars, share a table. Say hello to strangers. Take late night strolls around deck. Catch a sunrise. Catch a sunset. Nothing should be like work, enjoy every minute.

DW likes to sit and soak up the sun. That doesn't interest me much so I like to wander around the ship. During a cruise I will walk every deck from bow to stern. Most people don't realize this but every deck on the ship has a different "theme". The paintings and other artwork will all follow that theme. Some of the themes that I can recall are animals, cars, mountains and beaches. Walk the hallways and look at all the artwork. Also, by walking every deck bow to stern, you may also find a venue or two that you didn't about.

On our cruise this fall on Jewel I want to try to be mindful of enjoying our ship as part of our vacation. I mean, we're paying a couple hundred dollars a day for the cabin, food and amenities so I want to enjoy it not just look at it as a means to get to the ports. There is even one day I think we're going to spend the day on the ship as we're not excited about the port.

I'm looking for some advice as to the best way to get the most out of the ship if we do stay aboard instead of getting off at port. What do you do if you stay aboard?

Does that make sense?

Do a B2B2B 12/10/11 nights every year in Aft/Corner cabin on Serenade. Last year during the 10 nite I didn't even get off on any of the ports...

Ship to myself, quiet, and people watching from my Balcony...

Do a B2B2B 12/10/11 nights every year in Aft/Corner cabin on Serenade. Last year during the 10 nite I didn't even get off on any of the ports...

Ship to myself, quiet, and people watching from my Balcony...

12?

I thought it was always 10/11

Cycle repeating every 3 weeks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12?

I thought it was always 10/11

Cycle repeating every 3 weeks

I do/did the Serenade(Brilliance) Oct Boston/Florida Repo 12nite first with the 10/11 nites. 2013, 2014, 15, 16, 18, and 2019. Skipped 2017, oldest Grand Daughter is 8yrs and never seen them on Halloween or took them Trick or Treating... So in 2017 went in Dec 10/11/7 nites instead

Edited by ONECRUISER

Does that make sense?

Try something new every night.

I LOVED the Jewel and so did the Mrs.

We did a murder mystery dinner one night that was hosted at Chops - cost like $50pp for the dinner and the show BUT they also kept pouring the wine as part of the dinner (score!).

Another area on board we got to enjoy was the Champagne Bar. Use the BOGO coupons or deals you get for C&A for some cheaper than usual drinks (or if you have the package) and enjoy the finger foods and platters set out at sunset before dinner. (Never had caviar 'till that trip. Didn't realize it was complimentary with the drinks 'till the 2nd to last night!) :')

Just pick a different area a few times a day, sit down, and relax (unless you really want to hit up a port!)

Try something new every night.

I LOVED the Jewel and so did the Mrs.

We did a murder mystery dinner one night that was hosted at Chops - cost like $50pp for the dinner and the show BUT they also kept pouring the wine as part of the dinner (score!).

Another area on board we got to enjoy was the Champagne Bar. Use the BOGO coupons or deals you get for C&A for some cheaper than usual drinks (or if you have the package) and enjoy the finger foods and platters set out at sunset before dinner. (Never had caviar 'till that trip. Didn't realize it was complimentary with the drinks 'till the 2nd to last night!) :')

Just pick a different area a few times a day, sit down, and relax (unless you really want to hit up a port!)

Yes, Murder Mystery is good to try once. We had great entertainers...

I do/did the Serenade(Brilliance) Oct Boston/Florida Repo 12nite first with the 10/11 nites. 2013, 2014, 15, 16, 18, and 2019. Skipped 2017, oldest Grand Daughter is 8yrs and never seen them on Halloween or took them Trick or Treating... So in 2017 went in Dec 10/11/7 nites instead
Gotcha, that's a one off trip.

That is funny, we did the exact same thing the last time we were in Nassau. Loved Pirate Republic and were back on the ship for lunch. Also nice to have the pool area so quite.

We just went last weekend. There's a walking tour that I found on Trip Adviser that takes you to several bars, includes appetizers and flights, an art gallery, and then finishes at Pirate Republic. Not the greatest beer I've had, but considering your traditional Caribbean lagers are some of the most boring options out there, Pirate Republic's IPA and wit beer were a welcomed treat. I'd go back the next time I'm there.

I've been on Jewel before for a Southern Caribbean sailing and will be going back this fall for my first TA. Since I will have 8 sea days in total, there will be plenty of time to discover areas on the ship I didn't notice before. Something I like doing while on cruises is watching movies in the theatre, so I'll definitely enjoy that. I also love the outdoor Windjammer seating area so I'll spend a bit of time out there.

My sister and I tried walk every deck to see the art last year on Serenade but we got tired and ended up just walking the stairwells. This year with 3 sea days on Navigator I think I will try it again but divide up over the 3 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is even one day I think we're going to spend the day on the ship as we're not excited about the port. Does that make sense?

This is crazy... from your previous posts I see your on the Oct 15 9-day Med/Greece sailing.

Which ports out of Messina, Mykonos, Rhodes, Athens, Santorini, and Naples don't interest you??????!!!!

What are you doing in Rome... certainly not sitting in your hotel room for a few days.... are you??

I don't understand at all.

Wow. Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch Hoopster. Mykonos doesn't interest me and there is one or two ports on our next 11 night cruise that doesn't interest us. And no, I don't plan to spend my Rome time in a hotel. I was speaking specifically to enjoying the ship as the floating resort that it is.

Different strokes for different folks, right?

I am really looking forward to the outdoor eating area. I can see us eating there everyday. Maybe even playing some cards. I'll check out the mystery dinner, that sounds fun!

Thanks for the constructive thoughts and ideas!