When in port, do you try a local restaurant or eat on ship for lunch?

edmusic

We, too, almost always eat our lunches while in port. I can only think of twice when we have done otherwise. Both times we had gone to the beach in the morning, came back to the ship to shower and change before heading out for an afternoon tour. It was just easier in those cases to get something onboard

I agree with most comments about having lunch off the ship but last year when we were in Bermuda I noticed several folks leaving for a dinner in Bermuda which I found surprising since they have alraedy paid for 5 star dining on the ship. I heard from others that dinner in Bermuda at a reasonably priced restaurant can cost as much as $100+? We had a couple drinks with lunch and it was over $50.

Too each their own I guess

We also like to try new places to eat in port. You can find some fabulous dishes this way. One of my favorites was a sweet salsa served warm in Costa Rica. Oh my!

Every time we walk through the Grande Marche ( the huge marketplace in Papeete) we wish we could walk through with a great big soup pot and fill it with all the strange and wonderful looking veggies we see there.

So much of travel for us is the local flavor and that includes the food. We always eat at the place we are visiting unless it's someplace that we've been to many times before. Since we tend to always try to pick new parts of the world, we do always seem to be eating a meal in each port. We also try to focus on a place that is more geared towards the locals vs going to a tourist spot. But that's just us. Enjoy!

Cathy

ALWAYS out and about on shore when in port, and we don't waste time going back to the ship. Besides, we like discovering those hole in the wall, out of the way, wonderful local restaurants and try their signature dishes!

Same here, Mrs Banjo & I just love finding those hidden gems!

Let's be honest here. Some of the places to eat locally aren't really all that sanitary. DW and I have both paid the price internally for going a bit too native. You have to be careful. Indigenous food can be great tasting but the shipboard food is pretty much always safer. Once burned, twice learned, so to speak.

Love trying the local fare while in port! Looking forward to many different types of food in the Mediterranean this fall, it's a big part of the charm of travel. Mezes, tapas, we love trying them all, at least once. :D

We use tripadvisor.com and try to get recommendations for most ports. Usually we get very wonderful food that has never done us wrong health wise so far!!

It all depends, for me. If I was on an all day tour, or was otherwise far from the ship, I would not waste time returning to the ship just for the 'free lunch'. But if I was in the immediate ship area, say in a smaller port, and there wasn't any special local food attraction to tempt me, then yes, I probably would reboard and have lunch on board before doing further exploriing of the port....

We eat a good breakfast, then don't eat a meal again until early dinner, as we are usually too busy discovering the port to take time out to eat a sit down lunch. However, we will buy a snack, on the run, such as a gelato in Italy.

We enjoy sampling the food of different countries. So, lunch is usually off the ship. Quite often (especially the Med and Europe) going back to the ship is not even an option. Nothing like the flavor of the food to get a flavor of the country you are visiting:)

Archived