Could this happen on =X=?

ECCruise

Azamara boards are ablaze this AM with major changes to the Le Club Voyage loyalty plan. In a nutshell, free internet minutes and free laundry have been removed from the program, although some benefits have been added (but yet to find an Azamara cruiser even remotely satisfied with the changes). And this on a line with a much higher per diem (except for suites) than =X=.

Not taking sides here but looks like a potential gaffe for Azamara/RCCL in most minds. Reminds me of the Royal fiasco with the removal of Diamond cruisers from the Diamond Lounge in 2009. Or, as someone else suggested, the introduction of "New Coke" in 1985.

Azamara boards are ablaze this AM with major changes to the Le Club Voyage loyalty plan. In a nutshell, free internet minutes and free laundry have been removed from the program, although some benefits have been added (but yet to find an Azamara cruiser even remotely satisfied with the changes). And this on a line with a much higher per diem (except for suites) than =X=.

Not taking sides here but looks like a potential gaffe for Azamara/RCCL in most minds. Reminds me of the Royal fiasco with the removal of Diamond cruisers from the Diamond Lounge in 2009. Or, as someone else suggested, the introduction of "New Coke" in 1985.

I just read the post. I would give up free laundry in a minute for the upgrades they are offering, not to mention the free nights when you move from one tier to another.

I think people don't look at what is added (they just expect that and feel that they are entitled to more and more), they only look at what was taken away. In this case, I think the upgrades and free nights more than make up for the laundry and internet, at least it would for me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes, it can. Celebrity has changed the program in the past and will most likely change it in the future if they think a change will support its business plan.

I just read the post. I would give up free laundry in a minute for the upgrades they are offering, not to mention the free nights when you move from one tier to another.

I think people don't look at what is added (they just expect that and feel that they are entitled to more and more), they only look at what was taken away. In this case, I think the upgrades and free nights more than make up for the laundry and internet, at least it would for me.

As long as you're reading you might want to read the terms and conditions associated with the free nights and upgrades before you get too excited about them.

I think they have laundry rooms so losing the "free" part is no big deal

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Even though we have done laundry a few times (Oceania, HAL, Princess) I think there is a world of difference in putting a bag of laundry on the bed a few times during a cruise and spending a couple hours or more in a laundry room. Most think it is a "big deal."

Well any foolish thoughts I had about possibly booking an Azamara cruise have left the building after this news. What in the world are they thinking???

And if this happens on Celebrity, well--there are lots of other ways I can choose to spend my vacation dollars. And other cruiselines besides Azamara and Celebrity.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I think they have laundry rooms so losing the "free" part is no big deal.

Azamara does have a single laundry room on Deck 7--no fewer than two but surely no more than four washers/dryers each [i think it's fewer]--available for guest use on a complimentary basis...

As the laundry room is nestled in a stateroom area, its hours of operation are appropriately limited from a noise abatement perspective... And as Azamara tends to offer extremely port-intensive itineraries ["Longer port calls! More overnights! Night touring!"], everyone seemingly wants to use the laundry facilities at the same time... It's often been mayhem in the past; with the changes to Le Club Voyage it will most assuredly get far worse in the future...

With all due respect, it is--among a whole litany of things announced today [as Ma Bell rightly points out, the devil is in the fine print]--a very big deal...

Edited by Xport

Admittedly, we've never cruised Azamara, & most likely never will because of the cost, for them to eliminate free internet in this day & age when virtually every hotel you stay at provides it gratis is not a good way to reward loyal passengers.

Not an intelligent move on their part.

These look like significant changes that impact the ambiance of the Azamara cruising experience. I'm a bit surprised since I thought cruising was steering toward more inclusive experiences, with pay up front via cruise fair so passengers don't feel nickel and dimed.

I am thinking the opposite: I just read all the info on Le Club, and priced a few Azamara cruises. The same BOGOHO deal is going with their bookings right now, and considering that tips and alcohol/soda, and shuttles are inclusive, it's not that much more expensive per day than the cruises I currently have booked on the Allure and Equinox. We are at their Discoverer level, so there's some pretty good perks to be had. I'm not going to fuss over internet or laundry, since I use internet in ports mostly, and can pay $30 or so for some laundry, if needed.

We might just give Azamara a spin late 2015 or early 2016.

??????

Could you elaborate? Don't know what you are referring to.

Thanks

Hi Miched,

After several months of delays, Azamara announced updates to their Loyalty program (Le Club Voyage). As I also moderate the Azamara forum, I can share with you, that their forum is very hectic today, and the Azamara faithful are very displeased, notably due to the elimination of complimentary Internet & Laundry benefits, amongst other items.

Details can be found on the following 2 Azamara threads : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095279

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2095624

IMO, unless Azamara reconsiders this decision, I agree that it probably benefits Celebrity, as the Captains Club benefits are significantly better - especially after today's "announcement"

BTW, I merged the 2 threads on this topic. Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

NLH Arizona. You are usually quite wise, but I assume that you have not read the fine print re. obtaining those benefits.

NLH Arizona. You are usually quite wise, but I assume that you have not read the fine print re. obtaining those benefits.
Yes, I did read the fine print prior to my post. If I were an Azamara customer, I would would have no problem giving up the laundry and internet to get the comp days when a new tier is reached, not to mention some of the other perks.

Earned Complimentary Nights: Complimentary nights have no cash value, are not redeemable for cash, are not transferable, and must be booked within one year after date earned. Complimentary nights can only be redeemed on sailings 7-nights or longer. Guests are responsible for paying pro-rated amount of prevailing cruise fare rate at the time of booking (calculated as the per night price of the cruise times the numbers of nights not covered by the certificate), as well as full taxes, fees & port expenses for total duration of the cruise. Complimentary nights cannot be combined with any other program or promotion or Restricted Rates. Complimentary nights earned when reaching different levels cannot be redeemed together. A balance of any unused complimentary nights can be redeemed only by Discoverer Platinum members who book 7-9-night voyages within one year of when the complimentary night(s) was awarded. Stateroom category will be based on category guest most frequently purchased on Azamara. The following blackout dates apply: Azamara Journey departing 2/19/15 and Azamara Quest departing 7/4/15, 7/18/15, and 7/11/16. Complimentary nights are earned against original stateroom category booked on cruises departing on or after January 1, 2015. To earn complimentary nights, members must earn at least 50% of their member points on Azamara and must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years. Terms may vary by country.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We have several bookings with the extra bonus points. I admit a few times each day I wonder if the loyalty program has much meaning past the first couple or at the highest level. I also thought free internet to all passengers was the future of cruising.

Although this is Azamara it is a reminder that any line can change at anytime. Just like airlines.

From the sounds, I'm guessing there was abuse of the internet facility. When you have "unlimited" but where there are constraints as at sea, it can cause problems for everyone.

With the discounts, it sounds like they're still trying to offer a good deal for members, but not without limit.

Celebrity doesn't have that issue as there are limits - even for Zenith.

Yes, I did read the fine print prior to my post. If I were an Azamara customer, I would would have no problem giving up the laundry and internet to get the comp days when a new tier is reached, not to mention some of the other perks.

Earned Complimentary Nights: Complimentary nights have no cash value, are not redeemable for cash, are not transferable, and must be booked within one year after date earned. Complimentary nights can only be redeemed on sailings 7-nights or longer. Guests are responsible for paying pro-rated amount of prevailing cruise fare rate at the time of booking (calculated as the per night price of the cruise times the numbers of nights not covered by the certificate), as well as full taxes, fees & port expenses for total duration of the cruise. Complimentary nights cannot be combined with any other program or promotion or Restricted Rates. Complimentary nights earned when reaching different levels cannot be redeemed together. A balance of any unused complimentary nights can be redeemed only by Discoverer Platinum members who book 7-9-night voyages within one year of when the complimentary night(s) was awarded. Stateroom category will be based on category guest most frequently purchased on Azamara. The following blackout dates apply: Azamara Journey departing 2/19/15 and Azamara Quest departing 7/4/15, 7/18/15, and 7/11/16. Complimentary nights are earned against original stateroom category booked on cruises departing on or after January 1, 2015. To earn complimentary nights, members must earn at least 50% of their member points on Azamara and must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years. Terms may vary by country.

If you are at the second highest level, what are the chances of free nights in this lifetime

From the sounds, I'm guessing there was abuse of the internet facility. When you have "unlimited" but where there are constraints as at sea, it can cause problems for everyone.

With the discounts, it sounds like they're still trying to offer a good deal for members, but not without limit.

Celebrity doesn't have that issue as there are limits - even for Zenith.

There was absolutely no indication that this was "abuse of the internet facility." First of all, Azamara cruises are extremely port intensive, including a number of nights in port. Second, the maximum free minutes available was 235 at the highest level, a long way from unlimited.

I find it funny that on the Azamara boards they are running 100% against the changes while it is only on the Celebrity boards that there is some "no big deal" reaction. That was exactly a lot of the Celebrity board's reaction when RCCL changed the Diamond benefits in 2009. "Oh, quit whining. It's no big deal." Schadenfreude perhaps?

Since virtually 100% of the changes to the Celebrity program have been of a positive nature, it will be real interesting to see the reaction here if the same thing happens. It's like the cuts to the cruising experience--it is never a problem until it effects ME.