Time to stop putting pools on X new ships?

bryanjaync

A lazy river could be a real enticement on one of those super sized new cruise ships .Now that would be a first :D. But ,where do they store all the inner tubes???

If they did this, we'd have to be talking about inner tube hogs.:eek::rolleyes::D

Is it time to stop building swimming pools on new Celebrity cruise ships ? Are kids waterpark attractions (the buckets, the fountains, the water guns, etc.) better for safety than a pool ? And for adults, instead of a pool what about a meandering deck paths of misting machines, tunnels of rainforest showers, and other tech alternatives? Should traditional pools go ?

I see Celebrity not as the very "kids-friendly" cruise line - there are others with water slides etc. and Celebrity tries to be different from that. I don't think they gonna change this with the new ships. I would be surprised...

As a fairly weak swimmer who likes to be able to feel the bottom, I always wonder why cruise lines make their pools so deep, quite a lot have no shallow end at all.

But even these are better than no pools at all, however I do rather like the idea of a lazy river.

No. The pool area is one of the most popular on a cruise ship, even for the big kids with no kids. Personally, my idea of a horror holiday is anything with the words 'family friendly'; please let there be some cruise lines that don't over cater to children. A happy balance of amenities for all passengers of all ages is the key.

We loved the pools; wish they would add more chairs/seating around the pools.

Would love Celebrity to get rid of horrible uncomfortable lounge chairs and replace them with plush comfortable cushions. They need more shady lounge chair areas. Since we understand the dangers of sun exposure, the cruise lines should help make us all safer and more comfortable. As they have restricted smoking areas, full sun areas should also be limited. Awnings! keep the pools. Those who do not want to use them should stay out.

Edited by Cruise a holic

If they did this, we'd have to be talking about inner tube hogs.:eek::rolleyes::D

You are so right, I spend about two or three months a year in my time share at Disney and we have two lazy rivers. You don't know how many rude people take the tubes out of the river and put them by their lounges or even bring them to their rooms so they have them. Fortunately, the resort keeps a good eye on it.

As someone who lives in Florida and has my very own cesspool of bacteria - I seldom use a pool on a ship. However when I used to live in Michigan or the Frozen Tundra of the North as I call it - getting out to the cold and onto a warm weather cruise with a pool was a real treat. No they should not do away with the pools on the new builds. Parents need to stay responsible for their children and many of us adults would hate to see water park type attractions on an X ship.

Edited by Jane2357

What.....No pools, no cruise! Not a good idea for us....

we enjoy the outdoor pool when there's no loud DJ , love the solarium as part of a spa -like experience and would love a real T pool like they had on Mercury and Century....or an adult only whirpool area like Oasis...a very nice sanctuary.

adding a lazy river or garden walking path is also a nice idea...maybe on the lawn area...which was turned into an alcove rental venue....

Yes. pools are wasted space as very few use them except to lay around. Don't need a pool to lay in the sun. It would provide more area for the sun worshiper so and ease the chair hog problem.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Is it time to stop building swimming pools on new Celebrity cruise ships ? Are kids waterpark attractions (the buckets, the fountains, the water guns, etc.) better for safety than a pool ? And for adults, instead of a pool what about a meandering deck paths of misting machines, tunnels of rainforest showers, and other tech alternatives? Should traditional pools go ?

No, accidents happen what can you do. if you know your putting your kids in a pool with no lifeguard you should probably watch them, but even saying that an accident can happen the second you turn your head so im not blaming anyone and not the cruise line, hotels don't put lifegaurds at their pools so don't expect cruises to.

However I am all for Celebrity putting slides onboard for adults and kids, now that they area appealing to urban couples and more families this is the main thing missing.

Have done 14 getting ready for cruise 15 use those cesspools on every cruise. Have never had a problem healthwise. Have more important thing to worry about like where is the bar waiter so i can get another drink.

Absolutely NOT. Best people watching on the ship

Agree, the best people watching spot on board if you don't count the buffet where some folks seem to believe that it is their last meal on earth.

When Celebrity turns their pools into water parks, I'll find another cruise line.

I agree, get rid of all the pools. Just think of all the cabins and over priced specialty resteraunts you could squeeze in there.

Now ya'll are talkin!:rolleyes:

I'm another that would say "no pool, no cruise". Actually I'll qualify that - "no adults only pool - no cruise". I'm past the age of wanting to share pool time with shrieking children. Since I don't have a pool at home I thoroughly enjoy floating in a cool pool on a warm day on a cruise, and that is one of the highlights of cruising for me.

Although I like the concept of misting machines and rainforest showers I wonder how popular they would be. I think most people would try them once, for the novelty, then not bother. A rainforest shower doesn't have the same effect as floating in a pool. It might cool you off but it doesn't relax you as much as you are not supported in the water.

Excellent people watching indeed! On my last cruise on the Reflection I actually saw a middle-aged man wearing swim trunks that were made out of multi-colored crocheted granny squares. We couldn't believe our eyes! Really regret not having our camera because we were in the hot tub.