Use of legally prescribed Marijuana on board

ghstudio

I suspect you give up that right when you agree to the cruise contract as well as when you enter another country which has different rights than you believe you're entitled to.

I think that is so. I also think cruise lines will be cooperative with the authorities of any country it docks at that want to search for drugs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From Canadian government website

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/drugs

Prescription drugs may be illegal in other countries

Most of us know that “recreational” drugs, like marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy, are illegal almost everywhere. But in many countries, prescription drugs and medical supplies that are legal and readily available in Canada may also be considered illegal or arouse the suspicions of local customs officials.

Warning

Being authorized to possess or produce marijuana under Canada’s marihuana medical access regulations does not allow you to carry marijuana in or out of Canada.

If you are authorized under Canada’s Marihuana Medical Access Regulations to possess or produce marijuana for medical purposes in Canada, you are not allowed to carry marijuana when you enter or leave Canada. You are also not allowed to import into Canada or export from Canada marijuana seeds or dried marijuana. For more information, see Health Canada’s medical use of marihuana page.

Cannabis is still illegal in Amsterdam and the rest of the Netherlands. The only difference is in Amsterdam they have chosen to decriminalize it. In short, the police can't be bothered to arrest and charge individuals with small amounts. It's not actually legal though.

mmmm.... well, either way, They have businesses called coffee shops that sell marijuana and where they allow people to smoke marijuana. Seems pretty much on front street.

I wouldn't be happy being subjected to second hand smoke, being forced to smell it and breathe it in, especially in our own cabin or on our balcony. We enjoy the balcony for fresh ocean air. DH grew up with cigarette chain smoking parents, he is sensitive to smoke of any kind. If deemed legal I would hope smoking would be limited to smoking areas that could be avoided by those of us who don't smoke and don't want to be subjected to secondhand smoke. If people want to smoke whatever, fine. But I shouldn't be forced to smoke with them.

Same here. To us the smell is very nasty. DH also gets random drug testing. Popping positive would get him fired. If cruise lines ever allow it I would hope they would have a place where people could smoke, but not subject anyone else to it. Maybe on a row boat being towed behind. :D

As for it being medically prescribed, sounds like anyone can get a prescription.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Can they board the ship with anti-4th Amendment doggies and let them provide the "reasonable suspicion" by signaling that a particular cabin door might have drugs behind it?

In other words, if boarding and inspecting is allowed but to search a cabin itself they need "reasonable suspicion" a drug sniffing dog can provide it easily enough.

Even if the dog only wants another cookie.

You do not have 4th Amendment rights in a Customs border search.

This thread started June 2015. Over 7000 people have viewed it. I think that does say something. What I see here that people dont want the smoke. I'm with you. I dont care what the smoke is I dont want to smell it. As I talked about before is pot candy. Laws are laws. Laws change over years. In Seattle you could not buy meat on Sundays. I dont know if it is a law. The Rose bowl parade will not be on a Sunday. For it might startle the horses at the church. It has been a while since I have been to church. But I dont remember horses.

You do not have 4th Amendment rights in a Customs border search.

That's the point, right? And you are also right that coming into this country Customs has a right to search without regard to the 4th Amendment. But they don't board cruise ships with drug sniffing dogs while passengers are out visiting Bar Harbor to try and shake them down for $500.

In the Bahamas, they can board the vessel and bring a dog, and say the dog "alerted" and demand access to the cabin and search it. So my point stands, since we don't know if the dog they are bringing is "highly trained" (only wrong once in ten tries) or if it's the chief's puppy dog, you should not bring any drugs not legal there. Even if you plan to keep them in the cabin.

mmmm.... well, either way, They have businesses called coffee shops that sell marijuana and where they allow people to smoke marijuana. Seems pretty much on front street.

I know I've visited Amsterdam many times. The businesses you refer to are called 'brown cafes'. They're common place in parts of the city center. It's still not legal though. Decriminilisation just means the police leave you alone if you have below a certain amount. The cafes are also limited as to how much stock they can hold.

A few years ago it was suggested only dutch citizens should be allowed to purchase it but the mayor or Amsterdam fought this off as he was concerned about the loss of tourist revenue as a result! :D

I would have reported the ones who were smoking in their cabin. Not much you could do about the ones on deck.

DON

Why would you find it necessary to ruin someone's vacation for doing something that did not affect you. Would it make you feel good about yourself seeing them get carted out in handcuffs. Would you get some kind of pleasure in that? :confused:

Edited by debfew
Extra word

The businesses you refer to are called 'brown cafes'.

Actually they are called "coffeeshops". Brown cafes are pubs with an oldfashioned interior.

A few years ago it was suggested only dutch citizens should be allowed to purchase it but the mayor or Amsterdam fought this off as he was concerned about the loss of tourist revenue as a result! :D

They tried this in southern cities (next to the German and Belgian borders) to prevent drugs tourism. Not surprisingly, the result was that the "tourists" kept coming and turned to shady dealers in the streets. That was also the concern of the mayor of Amsterdam.

Why would you find it necessary to ruin someone's vacation for doing something that did not affect you. Would it make you feel good about yourself seeing them get carted out in handcuffs. Would you get some kind of pleasure in that? :confused:

It does effect you, I would report whether it was pot or regular smoking, it is forbidden on the ship. It is a fire hazard and the smell of either type cam permiate to other cabins. Don't want them arrested, just want it stopped. I'm not ruining their vacation, they're ruining their own by doing something forbidden. About time people took responsibility for their own behavior instead of blaming others.

Edited by dkjretired

That's the point, right? And you are also right that coming into this country Customs has a right to search without regard to the 4th Amendment. But they don't board cruise ships with drug sniffing dogs while passengers are out visiting Bar Harbor to try and shake them down for $500.

In the Bahamas, they can board the vessel and bring a dog, and say the dog "alerted" and demand access to the cabin and search it. So my point stands, since we don't know if the dog they are bringing is "highly trained" (only wrong once in ten tries) or if it's the chief's puppy dog, you should not bring any drugs not legal there. Even if you plan to keep them in the cabin.

Is that anything like Bermuda? Did you read the link you posted? You're giving the Bahamas a bad name, and they really don't need any help in that dept.

Is that anything like Bermuda? Did you read the link you posted? You're giving the Bahamas a bad name, and they really don't need any help in that dept.

The linked story was about Bermuda but it happens in the Bahamas too. Here is a Bahamas link.

http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publish/rbpf/2_American_women_arrested_in_The_Bahamas_for_drug_possession_-_Shotgun_recovered_-_2_male_housebreaking_suspects_being_sought49029.shtml

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No matter what someone may be smoking in their cabin its against the ships policy with no exceptions. If I could smell someone smoking cigarettes, cigars, pipe, pot or vaping (scented) in their cabin because the order was going out in the hall I'd turn the violator in. I'd rather the smoker be pissed because they were turned in than me having to smell it.

Edited by davekathy

I agree with DonaldSC. 2nd hand smoke is a very real thing. It is vile and an infringement on my health not to mention highly allergenic and stinky. Smoking of any kind in a cabin or on a balcony is a fire hazard (and the very worst kind of at sea disaster is a fire). So... I would most definitely report anyone smoking in a non-smoking area (pot, tobacco or otherwise). I have zero tolerance for, nor sympathy for, anyone breaking the law. Those that need medical marijuana have my sympathy but can ingest it via a lollipop rather than smoking (which destroys their lungs).

Smoking of any kind IS going to ruin my trip and I have paid to enjoy my veranda and cabin and public areas without being assaulted by the smell of any form of smoking material. Not to mention your clothes smell as does your hair and person. Don't smokers understand that non smokers are aware you have been smoking even when you try to do it politely. You smell and everything on you does. I simply don't want to smell like a smoker and that's what happens with 2nd hand smoke. Never mind I have Asthma! Sorry JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would get pleasure in knowing that the balcony I paid for is free of smoke.

It would really ruin my vacation if they dropped a burning object in their cabin and the ship caught fire. If you want to talk about vacation-ruiners, that's probably the top choice right there. It's not about ruining their vacation, it's about affecting the safety of everyone else around them.

I just want the smokers to take their smoke elsewhere! Sick and tired of being run off my balcony on ships where it's not permitted to smoke on any balconies. That's what I paid for and that's what I expect. I don't give a rip what they smoke... just don't want it being imposed on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The article was about Bermuda, sorry. There are plenty about the treatment of small amounts of marijuana in the Bahamas, though, and I momentarily had my islands mixed up:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/06/articles/drugs/shakedown-port-nassaus-tourism-police-arrest-us-cruise-passenger-for-pot/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/crime/a-normal-weekend-in-nassau/

The local police in the Bahamas are clueless in solving homicides. They seem to focus their efforts conducting warrant-less searches for marijuana at the port. They enter cruise ship cabins without a hint of probable cause and arrest tourists for small quantities of pot (which they call a "dangerous drug"). It's an easy way to shake tourists down for a thousand or two dollars. They should be called revenue agents.

From http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/drugs/british-man-murdered-us-cruise-passenger-arrested-for-marijuana/

Same policy, same violation of basic human rights, different island.

The article was about Bermuda, sorry. There are plenty about the treatment of small amounts of marijuana in the Bahamas, though, and I momentarily had my islands mixed up:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/06/articles/drugs/shakedown-port-nassaus-tourism-police-arrest-us-cruise-passenger-for-pot/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/crime/a-normal-weekend-in-nassau/

From http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/drugs/british-man-murdered-us-cruise-passenger-arrested-for-marijuana/

Same policy, same violation of basic human rights, different island.

Jeez Louise, have you ever heard of vetting your source? This guy was the best you could come up with?

And how many times must it be pointed out that different countries have different laws. What you consider a basic human right is not universally enshrined in every country's criminal code. Marijuana is illegal there. And they take that more seriously than in some parts of the States. It's not a shakedown. It's a fine for breaking the law. No one says you've got to like it. Just abide by the law in the country in which you find yourself. And be glad you aren't travelling to some of the places in Southeast Asia where you could find yourself looking at life in a squalid prison or even the death penalty.