Everything about Harmony of the Seas

Adding a couple of slides to a view that us already blocked by all the superstructure from the Aquatheatre really won't impact the view too much. Yes it may be significant enough that it makes a difference to a small % of people but certainly not to the point that Royal will regret their decision.

Some people just don't like change. If they aren't interested in using the slides, then they will look at the negative impact to their view. For us, it will add something new and interesting to watch. That's what I like about Boardwalk.

Some people just don't like change. If they aren't interested in using the slides, then they will look at the negative impact to their view. For us, it will add something new and interesting to watch. That's what I like about Boardwalk.

Then again...some like change that makes sense.

Anyone want to resurrect the memories of the wonderful change for the Dynamic Dining? That was a flop as we now know (which is why RCI backtracked).

Change for the sake of change is no better than no change at all.

People in this thread have pointed to both sides of this topic, and we can respect both views accordingly. In the end...the wallet will decide.

Then again...some like change that makes sense.

Anyone want to resurrect the memories of the wonderful change for the Dynamic Dining? That was a flop as we now know (which is why RCI backtracked).

Change for the sake of change is no better than no change at all.

People in this thread have pointed to both sides of this topic, and we can respect both views accordingly. In the end...the wallet will decide.

Absolutely. I think that's why they try different things on different ships. We loved Dynamic Dining. :D

In the end...the wallet will decide.

Now what exactly do you mean by that? The wallet will determine whether the addition of the abyss slide is successful? Personally, I think that is a little extreme. Not many people are going to cancel or not book Harmony for the sole reason of the slide. Yeah, some might decide against a BW balcony, but I am sure that someone will be next in line to take that cabin instead. Many people probably won't even notice the addition before they get onboard.

I don't think this is a change comparable to Dynamic Dining, either.

Now what exactly do you mean by that? The wallet will determine whether the addition of the abyss slide is successful? Personally, I think that is a little extreme. Not many people are going to cancel or not book Harmony for the sole reason of the slide. Yeah, some might decide against a BW balcony, but I am sure that someone will be next in line to take that cabin instead. Many people probably won't even notice the addition before they get onboard.

I don't think this is a change comparable to Dynamic Dining, either.

Extreme?

Not really. Some people will decide to book Harmony with Abyss as one of several positive reasons to do so. Others may pass on Harmony entirely or else change to a different class cabin (ergo the wallet reference) based on the Abyss location or impact to viewing experience.

In reality...this change is actually comparable to the failed attempt for Dynamic Dining, in that:

1) It is being implimented whether it is welcomed by cruisers in general or not.

2) It will be received (liked/not liked) differently by different passengers.

3) Based on it's location on Oasis class ships, it will somehow affect the overall cruising experience of nearly all passengers.

This is not to say it is a good thing or bad thing, but pretending there will be no negative passenger acceptance impact to go along with what others may find as a great "new thing" seems naive.

After cruising both Oasis and Allure...our view is that this new feature detracts from the Harmony passenger experience. In our case, we will indeed vote with our wallet to spend our money elsewhere on either another RCI class ship or another cruise line entirely.

I suspect we will not be alone.

Extreme?

Not really. Some people will decide to book Harmony with Abyss as one of several positive reasons to do so. Others may pass on Harmony entirely or else change to a different class cabin (ergo the wallet reference) based on the Abyss location or impact to viewing experience.

In reality...this change is actually comparable to the failed attempt for Dynamic Dining, in that:

1) It is being implimented whether it is welcomed by cruisers in general or not.

2) It will be received (liked/not liked) differently by different passengers.

3) Based on it's location on Oasis class ships, it will somehow affect the overall cruising experience of nearly all passengers.

This is not to say it is a good thing or bad thing, but pretending there will be no negative passenger acceptance impact to go along with what others may find as a great "new thing" seems naive.

After cruising both Oasis and Allure...our view is that this new feature detracts from the Harmony passenger experience. In our case, we will indeed vote with our wallet to spend our money elsewhere on either another RCI class ship or another cruise line entirely.

I suspect we will not be alone.

I'll start with this...I'm not attempting to denounce your opinion. I just don't see it having as big an impact as you suggest. We can agree to disagree, but here's my opinion.

I do understand the BW balcony complaint. But you say it will affect the overall cruising impact of nearly all passengers - that's what I don't understand. When standing on the actual BW, you can't see the ocean anyway. So that's not a problem. Extra people on the BW? Its never that crowded anyway, except when exiting a dive show. I would guess that if someone is not staying in a BW cabin, it will have little to no impact on them, but that's JMO.

I see how you are comparing it to DD, but I don't view it as nearly the same. You're not forced to try the slide, like your forced to have DD when booking on Quantum Class. I think DD is a good reason to avoid a ship, while a slide in the BW area won't make that much of a difference. I would compare the addition of the slide to the replacement of the card rooms in the VCL area with an Izumi on Voyager Class. Some people might not like Izumi and they miss the ocean views that the card rooms provided. Do you cancel because of that?

I guess it's just that different people think of the slide in different ways.

I'll start with this...I'm not attempting to denounce your opinion. I just don't see it having as big an impact as you suggest. We can agree to disagree, but here's my opinion.

I do understand the BW balcony complaint. But you say it will affect the overall cruising impact of nearly all passengers - that's what I don't understand. When standing on the actual BW, you can't see the ocean anyway. So that's not a problem. Extra people on the BW? Its never that crowded anyway, except when exiting a dive show. I would guess that if someone is not staying in a BW cabin, it will have little to no impact on them, but that's JMO.

I see how you are comparing it to DD, but I don't view it as nearly the same. You're not forced to try the slide, like your forced to have DD when booking on Quantum Class. I think DD is a good reason to avoid a ship, while a slide in the BW area won't make that much of a difference. I would compare the addition of the slide to the replacement of the card rooms in the VCL area with an Izumi on Voyager Class. Some people might not like Izumi and they miss the ocean views that the card rooms provided. Do you cancel because of that?

Well said.

Put a few cabins on deck 16 where I could step out and take the slide down to the Boardwalk for breakfast at JR's and I'd book those in an instant.:D

I respect that and your summation...even though we disagree.

Please note that the view in the Boardwalk area is not just for the ocean itself...but the AquaTheater, etc. having a pair of slides smack dab in the middle of the view will "cheapen" that experience for some folks. Along with the Boardwalk balconies themselves and similar variations of the view change...it will impact plenty of people.

In the end it will come down to like it or not. There will be mixed views from that perspective.

Appreciate your nice and civil counter-perspective. Thanks.

Hi Susiecruisey,

My wife and I are booked for the same cabin, sorry stateroom 9327, for the 26th May 16 cruise to Barcelona from Southampton.

Will take some photos to give you an idea of the view that will remain.

Regards,

Phil

Well said.

Put a few cabins on deck 16 where I could step out and take the slide down to the Boardwalk for breakfast at JR's and I'd book those in an instant.:D

The reality is the slide won't be staffed that early. Nice idea though

Hi Susiecruisey,

My wife and I are booked for the same cabin, sorry stateroom 9327, for the 26th May 16 cruise to Barcelona from Southampton.

Will take some photos to give you an idea of the view that will remain.

Regards,

Phil

perfect and thank you

We actually got a great deal! Booked at the right time, then the new Royal Suite Class was added, so we get the added perks before the prices went up.

I am a lil disappointed in the new Suite Class's. The Lofts and 1bd ATS cost a decent chunk more than the GS/OS, it would have been nice to have 4 tiers rather than 3 tiers in the Royal Class.

However, it is not enough of a disappoint to make me rethink our decision to book the A3 on Harmony!

I wonder if they will have the Prohibition Party like on the Oasis and Allure. I also wonder what the Red Party is. Is it similar to a White Party, but you wear red instead?

Looking forward to hearing about the "Red Party" -- we do come prepared for the White Party, so hope to hear back from someone about it!

• 3 weeks later...