Celebrity just ruined my cruise leaving tomorrow

compman9

Did you not see post #140? I think there is more than a little negative travel advice from the UK Foreign Office.

Or you can just turn on your TV and see the news reports showing what is actually happening there right now.

On the first day do a private tour to Delphi or Argolis. This are 9-10 hour tours so they work for an over night, but too long for a single day.

Delphi is beyond description, and we went there on a one day port stop. Our driver (George'sTaxi) mentioned several other places to visit, had time permitted.

I, too, would be disappointed, don't get me wrong. However, I prefer pre-Christian sites, and Athens is in close proximity to so many places. Ancient Greece is a foundation of Western civilization.

Does Compman our OPs name mean looking for compensation regardless man :)

As he is from the UK he may have relied on a generic annual travel insurance policy provided with a bank or credit card account. He may or may not have read it's exclusions when deciding to rely on it. He may or may not be covered in this situation

I found one major banks policy did not provide medical insurance on a cruise ship when reading the small print

Edited by uktog

Staying in Tell Aviv for 3 nights great price at the Hilton, will use it as a base to go to Jerusalem , Dead sea, Masada, all by rented car, next day Will do the cost to czarina ad Haifa

Galilee trip will be somewhere too third day jut for fun,3 couples at Greece for the rest to do cruise, stay safe. thank you easy jet,

Alex.

I have a friend who has just returned from an Azamara cruise a week ago that did call into Israel she told me that the day they spent in Jerusalem was very scary this year they were also there last year with us and it was fine. We have been on that cruise in 2014 and 2013, both times when we booked we knew that we may not end up there we were lucky, sorry the OP hasn't been this time. Better safe than sorry. I think Celebrity have made the right decision.

Really?? Tell me what you would do for two days and a night on your fourth stop in Athens? Once you have been to the Acropolis, there really isn't much else of interest. Shopping for junk in the Plaka?

That's kind of like saying that once you've been to the Statue of Liberty and strolled Central Park, you've pretty much seen New York. ;)

We had an Italy and Greece cruise this past July and having never been to Greece I was really looking forward to it, but then the Athens stop was canceled. Now, knowing I'd likely be there again at some point, our plan was to not actually tour Athens, but instead we were going to take the hydrofoil to the island of Aegina for the day. I had read that it was much less touristy, quieter, etc. We were planning to find a cab to take us around the island, visit the ruins (much lesser than Athens, but still fascinating to me), visit a beach, enjoy lunch by the water and so forth. Perhaps it's an option for the day you could consider as well, since you have no further interest in Athens.

For those who feel the need to lecture us on the inadvisability of booking a cruise due to the ports of call, please consider where and why you have booked your next vacation. Did you seriously not book it because you had an interest in seeing that region or those ports??

I think the main take away lesson is that there's a difference in booking a cruise because one has "an interest" in seeing that region or those ports, and booking a cruise SOLELY because of an intense desire to see one or two particular ports. There was a mention of a pax in another thread who had planned the trip for several years and spent $15k because they wanted to see Israel. That sounds like more than general interest, that sounds more like it was their dream trip or a trip of a lifetime. And planning to visit a location via cruise ship under those circumstances is inherently riskier. If a particular port is crucial to one's plans, it really does make sense to travel to that destination on a land-based trip, where one has much more control over whether or not to proceed with those plans if circumstances change.

(Plus, I would think that if a particular port was crucial to one's plans, a land-based trip would make more sense because one could spend much more time there than during a one day port call. That's part of the reason we've chosen in the past to fly to Italy to spend a whole week in Tuscany, rather than visit it during a one day port call to Livorno. Which of course could have been canceled at the last minute anyway :eek:)

Staying in Tell Aviv for 3 nights great price at the Hilton, will use it as a base to go to Jerusalem , Dead sea, Masada, all by rented car, next day Will do the cost to czarina ad Haifa

Galilee trip will be somewhere too third day jut for fun,3 couples at Greece for the rest to do cruise, stay safe. thank you easy jet,

Alex.

You're my kind of traveler! That's the way to think outside the box.

Instead of whining, take advantage of the situation to make the best of it. I would do exactly the same thing.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

While I understand why Celebrity made the changes, I certainly do feel badly for the OP.

We were scheduled for a similar Celebrity cruise last year, and just time for the final payment, there was escalation in that area. We expected either cancel ports, an itinerary we did not want, or several extra sea days so we canceled the cruise the day before for payment. I know that the OP did not have this option. Many on our cruise did not have an option to cancel as they had already purchased expensive air tickets.

In May, we took a Royal Caribbean cruise from Dubai to Istanbul. through the Suez Canal that was actually listed as a "Suez Canal" cruise. Unfortunately our Suez Canal passage was totally during nighttime hours and we were not able to see anything. Many of the passengers had been to all the other ports and only took the cruise because of the Suez Canal portion. they were very disappointed to say the least.

Just this past August we were scheduled to take an eastern Caribbean cruise, and the night before sailing we learned it would be Western Caribbean. Again many passengers were very disappointed. Also, western caribbean is generally less expensive than Eastern Caribbean.

In the two cases with itinerary changes, passengers were extremely disappointed. The cruise line offered no compensation as we went to other ports. The Caribbean change was due to bad weather on the east side. We still don't know why our Suez Canal passage was in the evening. Royal Caribbean never let us now that our passage might not be in daylight hours until a few hours prior to our approaching canal. Even earlier in the day, they were offering champagne canal passage lunch packages.

Anyone who cruises, or takes any kind of extensive vacations, understands that there may be changes in itinerary or scheduling. Most people understand why the changes need to be made, but it is still OK to be disappointed.

OK, I understand your disappointment, and hope that you do enjoy your cruise.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I respect your desire to go to Israel. I also respect Celebrity cruises for avoiding Israel at this time. I just got off of the Silhouette yesterday. We went to Israel from Oct. 7-9. you do NOT want to be there! There is too much tension. In Kusadasi last Sunday afternoon, there was a demonstration. It happened after we returned to the ship. There are a lot of tension in the Eastern Med. Enjoy the Greek islands. Mykonos was a delightful experience. Bring cash. Eiros or USA dollars. The merchants are eager to do business and the prices are good.

Just came back from a full day in Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, Israel museum, Western

wall. lots of Israeli security and our driver/guide was packing a hand gun in full view.

Got the tour van at the hotel upon arriving in Israel. Now dinner in Jaffa and a test of nightlife in Tel Aviv. Tomorrow the northern part of Israel, might stay in Tsfad.

We will rejoin the ship in Rhodes.

prices:

Rome to Tel Aviv $93+25 bag fee.

Tel Aviv Hilton $122 per room per night.

Guide and van $350 per day, we are 5.

All was decided over dinner at Rome when we got the news.

Take care, stay safe.

Last year I was in Israel after the official war ended on a 10 day land tour. There was still violence. I will never forget being in Jerusalem old city hearing bombs exploding and watching military moving in. Luckily, I did not get physically hurt. Be safe, stay away from obvious places that are unsafe. Old City is risky. East Jerusalem is off limits.

Last week, when we on the Silhouette, our private guide, kept us away from the old city. We were at the Wall for 15 minutes. We drove in and drove out. We were there on Oct. 8th late in the afternoon. The square in front of the wall was crowded with military.

Those of you who flew into Israel, I hope that you get out safely.

Why is Constellation still scheduled to sail to Israel next week (Oct 23 sailing)?

If it's dangerous now why are they not telling booked passengers that there may be a problem?

I think Celebrity are being tardy for a reason. Leave change as late as possible and they won't have to deal with disappointed guests for as many days, not to mention there are still a good number of cabins yet to be sold on an advertised itinerary that is unlikely to happen. I'm sure they haven't been caught on the hop with the situation in Israel. Perhaps the complaints about losing overnights in Istanbul has put them on their guard!

Phil

Why is Constellation still scheduled to sail to Israel next week (Oct 23 sailing)?

If it's dangerous now why are they not telling booked passengers that there may be a problem?

It's very poor considering it's just about certain to be off limits, to sell cabins for that cruise, with the same itinerary at this point is out of order in my view.

It is a great shame that plans have been upset but Celebrity decide. Venice on one of our cruises was messed up which was not like this but annoying for some onboard.

When we got the brochure from the onboard booking office, all the cruises to Tunisia, followed by Morocco then Turkey were torn out. Why court trouble? We live in France and it seems like every day on the news there is 'something'.

This from a girl who lived in London during the bombing years. Bulldog spirit!

I hope that you all enjoy yourselves and have a safe holiday

Just came back from a full day in Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, Israel museum, Western

wall. lots of Israeli security and our driver/guide was packing a hand gun in full view.

Got the tour van at the hotel upon arriving in Israel. Now dinner in Jaffa and a test of nightlife in Tel Aviv. Tomorrow the northern part of Israel, might stay in Tsfad.

We will rejoin the ship in Rhodes.

prices:

Rome to Tel Aviv $93+25 bag fee.

Tel Aviv Hilton $122 per room per night.

Guide and van $350 per day, we are 5.

All was decided over dinner at Rome when we got the news.

Take care, stay safe.

Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time. Great price on the Tel Aviv Hilton and the guide.

If you have a chance, report back on your visit to the North. I would love to hear what you do and see.

Just heard from a friend who was on an HAL cruise this summer in Alaska. They missed a couple of ports due to mechanical difficulty. Here is what she said: 'A big disappointment, for sure. We got $500 OBC, a free drink and wine with dinner on HAL when we missed Glacier Bay and Anchorage.'

I'm sure that helped ease their pain somewhat. It would be lovely if Celebrity was thinking along those same lines. I'm going to think positively and hope that everyone gets a free drink package to drown their sorrows!

Celebrity had given us a sizeable onboard credit once in Alaska when we missed a port due to THEIR mechanical failure. In turn, they had obtain a sizeable amount of money from the makers of the pod propulsion systems on the M-class ships that created the situation. In the case of mechanical failure, which is due to the cruiseline/ship, Celebrity has indeed stepped up to the plate.

We were also compensated when Celebrity canceled our cruise in favor of a charter almost a year prior to the cruise. In the case of Celebrity opting for a change to benefit their bottom line, they did again step up to the plate however, some saw the compensation nearly enough. To me, it was definitely fair but not overly generous.

This is a completely different situation -- and not the fault of Celebrity so would not expect them to dole huge sums of compensation. Although, free alcohol for those that drink does seem to calm the masses.

I think Celebrity are being tardy for a reason. Leave change as late as possible and they won't have to deal with disappointed guests for as many days, not to mention there are still a good number of cabins yet to be sold on an advertised itinerary that is unlikely to happen. I'm sure they haven't been caught on the hop with the situation in Israel. Perhaps the complaints about losing overnights in Istanbul has put them on their guard!

Phil

There could be a two-fold reason for this. They may still be scrambling, now done for this current cruise, to make arrangements for other ports OR as you mention, trying to sell those remaining cabins (if I read this correctly). However, I would be more likely to book a cruise without ports listed on the state dept travel warning list.

There could be a two-fold reason for this. They may still be scrambling, now done for this current cruise, to make arrangements for other ports OR as you mention, trying to sell those remaining cabins (if I read this correctly). However, I would be more likely to book a cruise without ports listed on the state dept travel warning list.

To be quite clear, the current US State Dept Travel warning has been in effect since February 18 and has not been updated since then. And frankly, there have been travel warnings for Israel every time I have look at the list, going back to 2010 (when I visited twice, once on a cruise and once on a land trip).

If anyone is going to claim that this is Celebrity's reason for changing the itinerary, should they not have done it in advance of the day before boarding....and should they not at least alert passengers on the upcoming cruise(s)?

... should they not have done it in advance of the day before boarding....and should they not at least alert passengers on the upcoming cruise(s)?

Not necessarily. I would expect that Celebrity has contingency plans for what to do to alter itineraries/ports of call in the event that a change is deemed necessary. Whether due to civil unrest, storms, engine problems, whatever. But even if you agree that they have contingency plans, it would still take some time after making a decision to get to the point where they have a new plan in place. Their Alternate Port A and Alternate Port B may both be filled to capacity by other ships on the days Celebrity is trying to change to. Their local agents need to make the contacts and make the deals with local shipping authorities while others need to try to line up alternative tours etc.for the passengers. All of this should be relatively easy for Celebrity right there in their own birthplace but still details can take time to work out.

OK, so there may be a time gap between The Decision "We will not go to Port X next Week" and The Solution "We will instead go to Port Z next week." The accepted best way for dealing with such changes is NOT to alert clients. What are you going to say? "We will be cruising next week but we don't know where? But don't worry, it will be a modern luxury experience!" No, this sort of announcement only generates massive uncertainty, and is a huge problem for customer service for example since they nor anybody else can answer the question "so where are we going?" The best way to deal with change is to get your ducks in a row, and then to formally announce that there has been a change.

We were on Reflection last month and Istanbul was cancelled. Loved Rhodes but Chania was a complete waste. Please do NOT buy the hop on hop off bus tickets.... believe me NO ONE hops off. There is nothing to see. Just use it as a relaxing ship day.

Thanks for the tip. We have a choice of a ship's excursion to Aptera, Georgioupolis and Gavalochori; then we would have time to wander around Chania on our own (or not ;)).