Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

Well, scheduled on the 3/27 cruise, we've been following this all day with interest.

More concerned/resolved that everyone is generally OK, then that the ship is OK.

Remember the Oasis inaugural? Was it 80' wave?

Cruise Critic, and members, are 'great at information sources; thank to all.

There is some banter/counter, and that is fine; helps see all sides.

We (New England) don't really know the weather for the next 12 hours; technology doesn't seem to stay ahead of mother nature.

The 'ships are seaworthy, to the X factor.

As are aircraft.

The 'captains and 'pilots of each treat bumpy rides different than passengers.

This was obviously way over a bumpy ride, that IMO, they didn't expect (they being on the bridge and at the command center in Miami).

They 'rode it out.

It is a real loss for many vacations; hopefully they can take advantage of the chance for a do-over.

Returning to NJ makes sense re: replacement source materials (really, NY/NJ resource materials).

I hope they get the 'important stuff addressed while docked.

I hope that the safety of the ship is confirmed (which I believe it is) and the next cruise takes place (even with timing issues) for the benefit of those with travel, hotel and related itineraries already in place.

Also, for the crew. As we all know, world sourced. A 'normal first couple of months far away from home on a 'ship is quite an experience. Some of the crew have never experienced bad seas; never mind this. Might keep that in mind.

Again, glad for your safety, sorry for you lost vacation; hope it works out for as many as possible in the long run.

Not really, I will be very surprise if the ship did more then 3 kt into this soup, there is no more need to have water flow over the rudder, actually there is no rudder on this ships.

Did I say anything about water flow over the rudder? No, I was speaking about the thrusters. While the ship might not have made over 3 knots, the seas were coming towards her, so the "speed through the water" was far different than the "speed over the ground". With thrusters in tunnels, any significant water flow past the ends of the tunnels (the outside of the hull), causes the thrusters to cavitate and lose effectiveness. I've worked with tunnel thrusters like this on many ships over 40 years.

And, again, if the ship had rudders, heading into the seas creates "speed through the water", which is what a rudder needs, not speed over the ground. Rudders lose effectiveness at very low speeds (under 5 knots, unless they are Becker, or trim tab rudders) or when the seas or current are traveling in the same direction as the ship.

FWIW, I think you have every right to post your opinions and thoughts here. If others don't agree, so be it. I have not seen anything mean spirited or nasty from you. I know what it's like when your opinions don't mesh with the cool kids in class here.

She may be stuck with the baggage from her comments on sharing a drink pkg. Some folks don't forget that. It seems to have spilled over into other threads as well.

There were a number of posts made earlier this evening that have been removed by the moderators that may have lead to the responses.

I have a major interest in this cruise ship as you can see below. If she can hold her own in 150 mph winds and 30 plus foot waves, this was a true test for our cruise in four weeks. I feel safe with the ship and the captain.

My prayers go out to all those currently on board. Please have a safe journey home. You may arrive back in Bayonne to snow and the Jersey shore is currently flooded. El Nino and Mother Nature is not on our side.

Hopefully we'll have an uneventful sailing on the 7th.

A few weeks from now this will all just be a memory until the next cruise ship has a large storm encounter. Then it all starts again, dies down and repeats. Cruising has some inherent risks and occasionally we have really bad encounters with Mother Nature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is kind of fun.. Almost like a lottery to see who will be right in the end.

P.S. I am truly glad we can all argue about something like this and that all are ok. Could be SO MUCH worse. Thank goodness for all involved.

This WOULD make for an excellent Ladbroke's bet....

You guys really need to get your facts straight before your fingers start spewing garbage!!

here is one fact

Giant Royal Caribbean ship damaged in 'extreme' storm will return to port

and she is " the world's most technologically advanced ship"

Was there not any warning that the waters would be rough or a storm was ahead? Was there a bad decision of the Captain? Once a Disney ship sailed near a hurricane with rough water when other cruise lines stayed out away even though it meant returning to port a day or so late. I haven't been able to read a full story. I would have been terrified with my life jacket on.

Not really, I will be very surprise if the ship did more then 3 kt into this soup, there is no more need to have water flow over the rudder, actually there is no rudder on this ships.

An earlier post had a photo of the TV, it showed a speed of 7.5 knots (thru' water or SOG?).

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A8-50F using Tapatalk

Edited by pspercy

Enough of all the finger pointing, and what ifs and mind reading and predicting! Do you negative self righteous blamers really think that the captain thought...."hmmmm screw that weather report. I'm just going to drive this ship straight into a hurricane and risk everyone's life....including my own! Let's just throw caution to the wind".

I can not even begin to imagine the hell that captain went through, the overwhelming feelings of being responsible for his passengers and crew. Bravo, to the captain and crew who did a remarkable job in a situation that was beyond anyone's control. I commend all the amazing passengers for such positive comments on here. I wish all of you a safe return and a wonderful future cruise!

Well that's no use to anyone , unless that wall has been opened by crew member . So , in the event of an emergency , can you imagine the hysteria around that wall of glass as everyone clamours to get their life jacket out of storage . A shockingly stupid move by RC . .

That was my first thought. What if a fire was burning in the area of life vest storage room. I can also see problems, if passengers were forced to go back to their cabins to get their vests. The passageway would more than likely be so crowded, that it might not be passable. I guess the only sure way to make it safe, is for passengers to always wear their vests when out of their cabin. That would not be fun.

Did I say anything about water flow over the rudder? No, I was speaking about the thrusters. While the ship might not have made over 3 knots, the seas were coming towards her, so the "speed through the water" was far different than the "speed over the ground". With thrusters in tunnels, any significant water flow past the ends of the tunnels (the outside of the hull), causes the thrusters to cavitate and lose effectiveness. I've worked with tunnel thrusters like this on many ships over 40 years.

And, again, if the ship had rudders, heading into the seas creates "speed through the water", which is what a rudder needs, not speed over the ground. Rudders lose effectiveness at very low speeds (under 5 knots, unless they are Becker, or trim tab rudders) or when the seas or current are traveling in the same direction as the ship.

Ok, make sense to me, my experience is limited up to 150 ft, Feadships, but back to the beginning, do you think somebody really drove the ship manually during the storm

or just plot the heading?

I agree. I also have paid top dollar for a large suite. I should have expectations that the itinerary will be maintained and the food offered better. (I HAVE SAILED OTHER CRUISES ON RC AND THE FOOD WAS NOT AS BAD AS ANTHEM) Again, I am entitled to my opinion.

Hope the loyalist (inside cabin paying 900 type guests) will always enjoy RC and have a Continued Happy Marriage. Also, Enjoy the food!

Gotta love these "expert's" with only 7 posts starting yesterday:rolleyes: maybe they should start cruising on Cunard which will keep them with the appropriate level of people. Pass the Grey Poupon.

That's why there needs to be an investigation.

Because of the seriousness of the allegations?

Just because we call him senator doesn't make him any less of a idiot. Nothing worse than a politician trying to become relevant.....

Just saying.

JC

Doing Yacht delivery's on the east coast, you NEVER sail your boat west into the shallows of Cap Hatteras, not having local knowledge resulted in unnecessary risk to life and ship, calling the office in Miami and not the local coast guard for advise was not smart. Cat two winds shallow water, dumb.

How close to shoal water were they? Just curious. I know some yachts being run down east coast over the past week for Miami Yacht show.

Enough of all the finger pointing, and what ifs and mind reading and predicting! Do you negative self righteous blamers really think that the captain thought...."hmmmm screw that weather report. I'm just going to drive this ship straight into a hurricane and risk everyone's life....including my own! Let's just throw caution to the wind".

I can not even begin to imagine the hell that captain went through, the overwhelming feelings of being responsible for his passengers and crew. Bravo, to the captain and crew who did a remarkable job in a situation that was beyond anyone's control. I commend all the amazing passengers for such positive comments on here. I wish all of you a safe return and a wonderful future cruise!

No kidding, however common sense is really not that common lately!

###

Not sure if this was mentioned about the damage but half of the elevators are out of service too which is creating issues for passengers with mobility problems and families with strollers. Major backlog trying to get around.

The ship is rocking around significantly right now once again, and there's lightning outside. Also horrible creaking noises all over the ship. The noises are louder than the We Will Rock You show!

A few weeks from now this will all just be a memory until the next cruise ship has a large storm encounter. Then it all starts again, dies down and repeats. Cruising has some inherent risks and occasionally we have really bad encounters with Mother Nature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

These tales last forever. And I bet some will be shared by people who weren't even there. :eek:

Since this thread has high traffic, may I interject with another Anthem related comment?

It's time to merge Anthem onto the main RCCL forum. Please stop hiding Anthem in the subform.

That is all, carry on. Thank you to those on board who are keeping us updated, and for the experts on this thread who are explaining the hows & whys (cheng, aquahound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a happier note - the crew have all been fabulous! By far, the nicest of any ship on which I have sailed! And from talking to my server and room attendant tonight, it seems that they were all very scared last night too! My room attendant said her family heard that the ship "went down in the water" and her family was all crying back at home.

They are trying to make things as normal as possible! 2 shows of both We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret tonight. They said they're working on tomorrow's cruise compass and are trying to fit as much in as they can.

Too bad scrambling trying to make plans to get home as taken up most of my day. I had to pay $500 for a new flight home on Wednesday (luckily my insurance will reimburse it). But no assistance from Guest Services with either the phone or anything else. They advised me to use the free internet to do what I needed to... Not helpful for contacting the insurance company.

Anyway - trying to make the most of my last 24 hours or so onboard! Hoping the seas settle down as they're really rough right now. I'm actually surprised they haven't cancelled the shows again.