Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Okay this is the photo or at least one of them that made me think that the black out shades... are physical shades... vs smart glass... Now it is possible that what I am looking at is not a shade off kilter but a mattress standing up and leaning. But anyway this is why I assumed the Edge would have a shade like the IV cabin on the connie. https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/002062825799/media/124017059831/medium/1532622382666/enhance

Can't really tell what you are looking at...but have not seen any depictions with a physical sun shade or privacy curtain inside the bifolds..

Wonder if we can adjust the degree of darkening? Hate to think it will be all or nothing

The pic you linked to certainly shows the impact of those life boat davits....esp on the lower glass portion of the balc... esp when seated...

Lloyd, you are correct... it took a few questions back and forth, but messaging Celebrity on facebook I got the definitive answer.... the IV windows use 'smart glass'. So unlike the Connie which had a blackout shade that you lower and raise with a push of a button... it appears that the Edge will use the smart glass technology with sends an electrical current through the glass making it clear or opaque. I guess in this case not just opaque but dark. Wow. I really did not think they would spend the money on that. So this is a bit of a surprise. Of course that means you can not lower it some. Now of course this raises questions about how dark does it get and can you adjust it to allow some light. I think I will leave some mystery for later.

Lloyd, you are correct... it took a few questions back and forth, but messaging Celebrity on facebook I got the definitive answer.... the IV windows use 'smart glass'. So unlike the Connie which had a blackout shade that you lower and raise with a push of a button... it appears that the Edge will use the smart glass technology with sends an electrical current through the glass making it clear or opaque. I guess in this case not just opaque but dark. Wow. I really did not think they would spend the money on that. So this is a bit of a surprise. Of course that means you can not lower it some. Now of course this raises questions about how dark does it get and can you adjust it to allow some light. I think I will leave some mystery for later.

Smartglass is awesome if true! I always disliked the curtains/ shades in the rooms because I feel they are filthy. I would love to be able to darken windows at the push of a button.

Really easy for each passenger on the Dreamliner to adjust the amount of darkness. No reason why Edge guests couldn't do it also. Bummer that the bi-fold doors don't do the same (or maybe they will :confused:)

I am sure Celebrity is listening and did their research about shades and curtains and the amount of light from the balcony. While the idea of the IV came from River Cruise Boats, I think Celebrity is trying to take it to the next level.

Since there was talk about curtains and shades I found this picture of a cabin from Crystal Bach.

da0a983259430e1c70fbd09e415060b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I suspected, the glass will be electro optic. I would bring eye masks. The versions I have seen in European buildings are 90% blackout:o. Only negative I see is one can't peak thru the curtains to check the weather. Hopefully the drop of the window will stay in the black out mode. Otherwise we have to be dressed in smart casual all the time in our cabins!

Okay, I just went on facebook and found a message from Celebrity. Now I told all you that they specifically told me the IV had 'smart glass'. As a side note I also tweeted them and got the same response "Smart Glass". Well here is what I am now being told "... I went on to double check for you since we don't have much information out yet on the glass. They explain only the Reflection suite has that type of glass for the glass showers exposed to the exterior, and It's a shade that comes down on the infinite veranda for the staterooms. Sorry for the confusion. More to come.". So it appears that the IV do in fact have a shade.... not smart glass.. I too am sorry for the confusion.... So yes it can be controlled by the push of a button.... but that controls the shade... not the glass itself

Would be nice if they had this on the pier at some of the stops where the distance from the ship to the end of the pier is long.... like Costa Meya or Cozumel. Can be tough for folks with mobility issues, but not using scooter... to get at least to the end of the pier... while promoting the ship as well.

Would be nice if they had this on the pier at some of the stops where the distance from the ship to the end of the pier is long.... like Costa Meya or Cozumel. Can be tough for folks with mobility issues, but not using scooter... to get at least to the end of the pier... while promoting the ship as well.

GREAT IDEA...add San Juan to that list!

Well, according to the pictures Edge is or will be a real beauty inside. That bow is a disgrace though- and does not even deserve the name " BOW". I like the sharp cut front- but that ugly minibow.... the reason for building it that way is obvious- every tinny nook and corner used- to cram more passengers into the ship- they bring in the money- not a nice long bow. LOL!

The Edge’s Bow is not designed to allow increased room for more SR‘s, it is a Straight Bow that was been around for decades. Many military ships use that design. The main positve of a straight bow is it reduces wave resistance and therefore the ship can make higher speeds more efficiently, reducing fuel use. It is for cost savings, not to make more money by adding more passengers.

Bow areas must have a bit of ’crumple‘ area to reduce damage to important sections, especially passenger SR areas, so a straight bow doesn‘t allow more SRs. A straight bow also reduces pitching of the ship a bit more. Which I think most of us would appreciate. It does increase the chance of waves breaking over it since the wave action is straight below the deck, but the Edge doesn’t have a lot of working deck area up on the bow so it’s not a concern, and it’s pretty high above the waterline.

The Edge also has a bulbous bow (that big round ‘bulb’) on the bow also for efficiency cutting through the water, but it appears to be tucked under the bow more than other ships that have it out front of their cutter or raked bow, which is the type we see ***** most cruise ships and some people think is so aesthetic. Myself, I love the way the bow looks. Substantial and effective.

Aren’t you glad you got to read all this great stuff on ship design??

Den

By the way, a straight Bow and an Axe Bow which is similar, usually require more rudder movement to maneuver the ship, and can be a bit tricky at slow speeds, but with the side thrusters in the bow and stern of the Edge, that isn’t an issue.

I can’t help myself!

Den

Cool. The bow is growing on me. Lets face it... unless it is a smaller ship like the Radiance Class on Royal... the larger ships all look a bit like floating condos. So if it saves on fuel and is more stable... I am all for it. I do think the IV give the ship a sleeker look than most ships.

Well, according to the pictures Edge is or will be a real beauty inside. That bow is a disgrace though- and does not even deserve the name " BOW". I like the sharp cut front- but that ugly minibow.... the reason for building it that way is obvious- every tinny nook and corner used- to cram more passengers into the ship- they bring in the money- not a nice long bow. LOL!

I guess you truly dislike the bow! LOL! At least you are consistent in your many posts about it here.

By the way, a straight Bow and an Axe Bow which is similar, usually require more rudder movement to maneuver the ship, and can be a bit tricky at slow speeds, but with the side thrusters in the bow and stern of the Edge, that isn’t an issue.

I can’t help myself!

Den

Denny, don’t help yourself! Great explanations there is nothing wrong with learning something new or different everyday!!! Your explanations were incredibly helpful as my background in ships is old wooden schooners and not cruise ships.

I found this interesting take on Eden. Now I am not sure when it was published... but given that talks about entertainment... it could be fairly recent. Interested in peoples reaction. I could see doing this once, and perhaps that is the idea. A real wow factor to bring home and post about... vs steady diet. http://www.cruisington.com/revealed-the-tasteful-sinful-details-of-eden-on-the-new-celebrity-edge/

I found this interesting take on Eden. Now I am not sure when it was published... but given that talks about entertainment... it could be fairly recent. Interested in peoples reaction. I could see doing this once, and perhaps that is the idea. A real wow factor to bring home and post about... vs steady diet. http://www.cruisington.com/revealed-the-tasteful-sinful-details-of-eden-on-the-new-celebrity-edge/

Good article, it I think is old as it shows the reveal party in nyc

Kearney, great find on this article. Has more information than I’ve seen before on some aspects of Eden.

The food and design of the space sound/look interesting. Have to admit the snippet of entertainment they showed left me bored and disinterested. The “song” and “singer” were irritating. As far as dinner and a show I guess for me it would depend on when this occurs....are we eating or between courses? I would probably find this entertaining between courses but not during the course.

Am still very interested in giving Eden a try although another concern is the exact menu choices as it was difficult to discern if there are any vegetarian options for my other half who’s love of meat does not extend much past ground beef in Mexican, Italian or basic hamburgers.