Second Seating Pet Peeve

geoherb

What I don't understand is why on the last night you would get so upset about 2 new people at the table. Can you imagine how badly those people felt when such a fuss was made just because they were doing what they were told to do? I bet you could have handled that a little more tactfully instead of becoming possessive of your table domain.
Actually they had the table number printed on their cruise cards. They were not newly assigned to the table. We did not make a fuss. We just stood there waiting for our waiters to fix the situation. Our waiter was the one who checked with his boss and moved them to another table. Our waiters could have brought another chair and set another place at the table to make room for nine--although it would have been a little tight and probably uncomfortable for the interlopers to join a table where everyone else was already friends.

I certainly agree with most items covered so far. I am hoping our upcoming 36 night cruise we will be able to get over to late seating as that is our preferred time. We were wait-listed for late dining, but assigned immediately to anytime, which I absolutely hate. The addition I would make to the thread is I wish if you have something you don't want or like, politely communicate with the dining room manager, as early in the cruise I am sure he would like to match people as much as possible with their wishes.

On a previous RCCL, We had early seating as were doing B2B and needed early on the first cruise due to other family members consideration. After our first night at early seating on the 2nd cruise we went and asked if we could move to 2nd seating. He was delighted saying he had 200 people on late seating trying to get ot anytime or early. So I am really hoping we can get off anytime to 2nd when we board! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Roboref (Ron)

So, in the MDR - As You Wish includes both pre-set dining and open dining. The only thing that the pre-set dining option provides is a determined dining time, it does not include a specific table. But in practice, HAL tries to assign passengers to the same tables to ensure that passengers dine with the same table mates and have the same service staff. And that is the cause of most of the strife with MDR dining.

I don't believe the bolded sentence above is correct. I have done fixed dining on every cruise but one. In all my fixed dining, I have always been assigned a specific table. It is noted on my cruise card.

So, in the MDR - As You Wish includes both pre-set dining and open dining. The only thing that the pre-set dining option provides is a determined dining time, it does not include a specific table. But in practice, HAL tries to assign passengers to the same tables to ensure that passengers dine with the same table mates and have the same service staff. And that is the cause of most of the strife with MDR dining.

I don't believe the bolded sentence, actually the whole paragraph, above is correct. I have done fixed dining on every cruise but one. In all my fixed dining, I have always been assigned a specific table. It is noted on my cruise card. I think it works quite well for the most part.

We are definitely going to select open dining. Last thing I want to do is cramp my style or other cruiser's style by assigned seating and then not showing up because we are on an excursion or found a quaint bar to enjoy and missing assigned dining.

I am so glad I have had an option to read about all the choices because originally we wanted early dining because we generally eat early. Do they offer seating possibilities for just two? Or will we always have to eat with a group? Not that I mind but we might want a quiet evening for just the two of us without having to eat in our room.

Yes, they do indeed have tables for two and you can request a table for two when you arrive for your dining.

We choose late dining and request a table for 6. When our table is finally full, usually by day 2 or 3, I ask the other people to exchange cabin numbers so that if one of us isn't coming that night, just call another to inform so that the table isn't waiting for no-shows and can order when "everyone" is there for the night. (I pass around enough pieces of paper with our full names and cabin number on it so that the others can add theirs and then each cabin gets to keep one.) I know this doesn't have anything to do with the OP post, but I think it's a helpful hint.

We are definitely going to select open dining. Last thing I want to do is cramp my style or other cruiser's style by assigned seating and then not showing up because we are on an excursion or found a quaint bar to enjoy and missing assigned dining.

I am so glad I have had an option to read about all the choices because originally we wanted early dining because we generally eat early. Do they offer seating possibilities for just two? Or will we always have to eat with a group? Not that I mind but we might want a quiet evening for just the two of us without having to eat in our room.

We always select Open Dining. After our poor fixed dining experience and rude passengers, we always refuse Fixed Dining. We also request a table for 2 and have never had any trouble receiving it. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, for our past recent cruises, we rarely dine in the MDR, choosing instead speciality dining, port dining and room service.

As you can tell from other responses on this thread, there are assumed expectations from other passengers availing of fixed dining. We would rather pass on this as the only reason that the maitre de sits you at the same table with the same people each night is to ensure that you leave an extra tip at the end of your cruise.

Actually they had the table number printed on their cruise cards....

I don't believe the bolded sentence above is correct. I have done fixed dining on every cruise but one. In all my fixed dining, I have always been assigned a specific table. It is noted on my cruise card.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. We haven't selected fixed dining since our poor experience on our very first cruise. It is great after all this time to still be learning something new. With Open Dining, all that is on your cruise card is your lifeboat number. :)

As you can tell from other responses on this thread, there are assumed expectations from other passengers availing of fixed dining. We would rather pass on this as the only reason that the maitre de sits you at the same table with the same people each night is to ensure that you leave an extra tip at the end of your cruise.

Wow. Talk about assumptions.

I don't believe the bolded sentence, actually the whole paragraph, above is correct. I have done fixed dining on every cruise but one. In all my fixed dining, I have always been assigned a specific table. It is noted on my cruise card. I think it works quite well for the most part.

You are correct, of course. In fixed seating, there is an assigned time, table, and tablemates, for the duration of the cruise.

To suggest that if there are empty seats at the table on any given night, they should be filled by others looking to eat at that time defeats the purpose of fixed seating at a larger table. People choose that option because they wish to get to know their tablemates over the course of the cruise. Newcomers to the table, late in the cruise, throw off the dynamic that's been created. Not nice.

This seems to me to be a case of "There are good options for everyone, as long as everyone truly understands what the options are."

I "get" the confusion of new cruisers regarding "As You Wish" dining; they may have made a choice at time of booking without really understanding what it means; e.g., you CHOOSE a "Traditional Fixed" option, with the assumption that you will dine in the MDR -- either at a table just for your party or at a shared table -- at the same time for the majority of the cruise, OR you choose the so-called "Anytime" dining option, where you can just walk up to the MDR and ask for a table (or sometimes are allowed to reserve one) for your party or at a shared table, with the understanding that there MAY be a wait at peak times, but your schedule is your own.

There are pluses and minuses to both options. I would think that if one does NOT want to partake of the very traditional fixed dining and all that it entails on a majority of nights, one is better off NOT selecting it. You can still have a comparable experience in the MDR with Anytime Dining, plus you have the flexibility of choosing your own timing, and of eating elsewhere without the worry of alerting anyone.

On almost every cruise I've taken with HAL and Princess, the Fixed Dining times tend to fill up first, before the Anytime. So it seems unlikely to me that the scenario mentioned by some (e.g., that someone was assigned to Fixed Dining but really wanted Anytime) could not have been dealt with at the booking time or even once on board. (They seem happy to change you over to Anytime, not so happy to do the opposite....)

Something that was often said by posters on the old, contentious smoking threads: "You have a right to smoke, as long as it doesn't impact my ability to make use of/enjoy the space I paid for" has an equivalent here: if you accept Fixed Traditional dining with others, then you have a right to dine elsewhere, but you also are obligated to let someone know if you are not planning to show up, as it impacts the dining experience of your table mates. One reason I rarely choose Fixed dining is that, as a solo, the last thing you want to do is show up for dinner and be the only person sitting at a large table!

....... We would rather pass on this as the only reason that the maitre de sits you at the same table with the same people each night is to ensure that you leave an extra tip at the end of your cruise.

I personally think the efficient management of staff and table allocation in the MDR involves more than merely the maitre d's pecuniary gain. Food service in confined settings and time periods for large groups is a fine art. Plus we never even think about tipping the maitre d'; only the two table stewards and the wine steward depending on that person's level of personal service for that particular cruise.

This is interesting reading and opinions! I have been on several HAL cruises always have 2nd seating and we always opt for the table for 8. We have met so many interesting people during the cruises and I would say that I am still in contact with at least one couple/person from each cruise that we met! In fact, out of the 8 at our table in 2015, 6 of us are planning on a cruise next year in 2018 together! This year I am cruising with my friend and we wanted the early seating - 8 person table, but that time is closed. If we do the "As You Wish" and go at say 6:00, what are the chances we can be seated at a 6 or 8 person table so that we interact with others?

This is interesting reading and opinions! I have been on several HAL cruises always have 2nd seating and we always opt for the table for 8. We have met so many interesting people during the cruises and I would say that I am still in contact with at least one couple/person from each cruise that we met! In fact, out of the 8 at our table in 2015, 6 of us are planning on a cruise next year in 2018 together! This year I am cruising with my friend and we wanted the early seating - 8 person table, but that time is closed. If we do the "As You Wish" and go at say 6:00, what are the chances we can be seated at a 6 or 8 person table so that we interact with others?

I would say your chances are pretty good. I've only had a problem twice and was able to be accommodated because I was willing to wait a few minutes. Both times it was Formal night (before Gala) and that might have been the problem as more people were eating in the dining room. We could have had a table for two right away, but preferred to wait for a larger table. Another time there was another couple that wanted a larger table, so they put all four of us at two two tops that were next to each other and we pretended it was a large table.

I could go on but I think you get my points and my selection of the kindly human treatment of others - courtesy and consideration. :)

This thread was about late seating and it's very, very rare for the ship to still be at the dock after 8pm. Thus there aren't usually folks gone on excursions.

Most folks know if they're going to use the late seating fixed assignment if that's what they requested.

Most folks who request a large table look forward to sitting with a group at that late fixed seating. It is polite to let others know you won't be there if you've got reservations at a specialty so they don't wait for your arrival at the table to order.

If you're the type that will be catching dinners in the Lido and/or specialty resturants

I could go on but I think you get my points and my selection of the kindly human treatment of others - courtesy and consideration. :)

This thread was about late seating and it's very, very rare for the ship to still be at the dock after 8pm. Thus there aren't usually folks gone on excursions.

Most folks know if they're actually going to use the MDR late seating fixed assignment most nights if that's what they requested.

Most folks who request a large table look forward to sitting with a group at that late fixed seating. It is polite to let others know you won't be there if you've got reservations at a specialty so they don't wait for your arrival at the table to order.

If you're the type that will be catching numerous dinners in the Lido and/or specialty restaurants please request a table for 2 or 4 and leave the large table requests for folks that like the group dining experience or choose any time ahead of time.

We were disappointed a couple of cruises ago when we had a late fixed dining table for 6. One couple changed to any time before the first dinner - the other only came to the MDR on gala night. Felt kind of awkward just us 2 at a 6-top ... and yes ,... I know that's my problem but both couples knew ahead of time they wouldn't be at the MDR table. Consideration?

Most folks know if they're actually going to use the MDR late seating fixed assignment most nights if that's what they requested.

If you're the type that will be catching numerous dinners in the Lido and/or specialty restaurants please request a table for 2 or 4 and leave the large table requests for folks that like the group dining experience or choose any time ahead of time.

We were disappointed a couple of cruises ago when we had a late fixed dining table for 6. One couple changed to any time before the first dinner - the other only came to the MDR on gala night. Felt kind of awkward just us 2 at a 6-top ... and yes ,... I know that's my problem but both couples knew ahead of time they wouldn't be at the MDR table. Consideration?

Yes, I suppose it is "your" problem, but it is not an unreasonable feeling. A table for two is cozy. Two at a table for 6 is lonely. If I were in that situation, I'd ask the Maitre d' if there was space at a table where people were actually showing up. On our cruise last fall, we were at a table for 6. Most nights we were all there, but some nights one of the other couples would be dining elsewhere, and they usually didn't tell the rest of us. One night we were the only ones there. I guess the Maitre d' knew that the others weren't coming, because he brought two people up from open dining to join our table. I suspect they had been looking to join a large table because they were pleased to have company at dinner, as were we.

Not positive about HAL but on RCCL the maître d' had the reservations list for the specialty restaurants cross referenced with the MDR assignments (on computer screen) so he could see who not to expect. Would not help for last minute Lido decision though.

Or if people decided to forego dinner altogether or eat in the room. Unless room service registers those who have ordered up a salad for dinner.

One reason I rarely choose Fixed dining is that, as a solo, the last thing you want to do is show up for dinner and be the only person sitting at a large table!
One reason DH did not want to ask to be moved to another table after the first three nights was that he did not want to leave the solo gentleman dining with us alone. We're glad we didn't.

Back when HAL used to offer the half-price option for the first night at the Pinnacle Grill, we showed up at our table the first night on the Maasdam to let our waiters and tablemates know that we wouldn't be there for the night but would be joining them the rest of the cruise. When we showed up the second night, the two couples we met the first night were not there. Two new couples were at the table. We never found out what happened to the first couples.

Hi there

I am just not able to agree with many voicing their opinions.

It is not a cruisers responsibility to inform fellow guests or staff of their dining intentions. It might be nice but it is not required. Many people may not even know what their plans are for the next day.

Some people have suggested that by not informing staff, those not showing up are holding tables places that could be used by others. Well, that's just not the case. Everyone has a seating place assigned. So that is the place that they would be able to sit if they do show up. These people do not ask for seating at a large table, it is assigned to them by the ship.

If you feel that other people (in this case people not showing up for their assigned seating) is adversely impacting your cruise, it is you who needs to ask to be reassigned. Just the same as if you were at a table and did not like your table mates for any other reason.

The wait staff don't know that you specifically want a large group unless you tell them. There are times that they may ask, but to be clear you should let them know and if you are not happy by the second night, I would ask to move.

hope this helps

Edited by Nic6318

I think what folks are saying deals with consideration not responsibility.:)

Exactly. HAL shouldn't have to include a link to Emily Post in the Know Before You Go information. Adults should have manners by the time they book a cruise.