A Few More Cut-backs!

jelayne

We just got off the Equinox Jazz Fest cruise and wanted to let you know that we received chocolates on our pillow every single night, and we were in a standard veranda cabin. I think a few of your issues may have been your cabin attendant and not Celebrity. Maybe some others can chime in to get a better idea.

Also on the Equinox Jazz Fest cruise and chocolates were left on our pillows each night. Enjoyed my lattes from Cafe al Bacio each morning as I prefer the coffee from that venue to the coffee served in the MDR or Ocean View. Cafe al Bacio did apparently run out of vanilla syrup since skinny vanilla lattes were no longer available the last few days of the cruise.

Sorry to say that the black and white cookies never made an appearance at Cafe al Bacio. Guess they are gone for good. Carrot muffins became the new morning treat, however, and the chiffon cakes were always a nice evening treat with a coffee drink.

Sorry to say that the black and white cookies never made an appearance at Cafe al Bacio. Guess they are gone for good.

Yup the black and white cookies along with the macadamia nut cookies were "deep sixed." I believe this is the appropriate term. "Deep six" acquired its idiomatic definition because something thrown overboard at or greater than this depth would be difficult, if not impossible, to recover.

Hank,

I really don't care about the turndown. We don't eat the chocolates. I do miss the end of cruise buffet a little, but not a big one.

What I don't like is Celebrity's bundled pricing, with drinks packages that I don't want. We all have our personal tastes and if a cruise line becomes noncompetitive with others on benefits, I will simply look for another cruise line.

We sometime cruise NCL (usually our second choice) and they have made more cuts than X in recent years, yet sometimes their prices are too good to skip.

George

If you don't like the bundling of perks then look for state or senior rate. These rates will be without perks. Us we love getting all 4 perks with suites. But that is us.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Cutbacks happen. Sometimes they are things that most people don't miss. That chocolate is nice. However, I usually don't eat it. Taking away take away cups is dumb. I love getting coffee or tea from Al Bacio for my spouse and myself to drink by the pool or in the cabin. I will either take china cups or bring my own insulated drink containers. Maybe, room service can deliver coffee to the pool deck. I wouldn't miss the cheap tote bags or slippers. That Celebrity sparkling wine is terrible. I am allergic to roses. I can pass on flowers. I appreciate that people like some of the perks. It may make more sense if guests can pick the ones that they want from a list. Perhaps, list all available items. Let guests choose. You may be surprised by the results. I often stay in upscale hotels that offer a list of items that you might need. I only choose those items that I really need.

It seems that all lines are cost cutting. Not much can be done unless customers start talking with their wallets. At least most eating places are free. On land you have to pay to eat.

I think you'll find those eating places aren't free, they are "included" having been paid for in the cruise fare...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

It seems that all lines are cost cutting. Not much can be done unless customers start talking with their wallets. At least most eating places are free. On land you have to pay to eat.

Free - I think not! As Harz pointed out, we all pay for our food in the cost of the cruise. It's exactly the same as vacationing at an AI on land.

I must say we have noticed more cuts in hotel amenities than on our cruises in recent years. Just a few examples...

Staying at a chain hotel pre cruise a little card next to the one small bottle of shampoo and shower gel saying if you need anything contact the desk rather than sachets of cotton buds, shower cap etc we had become used to. Not a big issue, would not stop me using this chain again.

A favourite chain of ours with a Club lounge for those in Club rooms now 'selling' club access meaning the previously quiet and well serviced Club has become crowded and unpleasant....Major issue will not book this chain again.

More and more hotels not including breakfast in their prices. In years gone by, apart from in the US, at least a continental breakfast was always included in the price...This is an issue, makes us look at how much they are charging for breakfast, if it is ridiculously priced I will look elsewhere...

I think the whole hospitality sector is changing....They all know we compare and contrast prices.....they are all trying to reduce costs to keep prices competitive so we will book with them.

We have noticed some differences in Celebrity over the years but as yet the changes have not interfered with our cruising pleasure....it is at the point where they are no longer providing the product you want you quite literally need to 'jump ship...'

I must say we have noticed more cuts in hotel amenities than on our cruises in recent years. Just a few examples...

Staying at a chain hotel pre cruise a little card next to the one small bottle of shampoo and shower gel saying if you need anything contact the desk rather than sachets of cotton buds, shower cap etc we had become used to. Not a big issue, would not stop me using this chain again.

A favourite chain of ours with a Club lounge for those in Club rooms now 'selling' club access meaning the previously quiet and well serviced Club has become crowded and unpleasant....Major issue will not book this chain again.

More and more hotels not including breakfast in their prices. In years gone by, apart from in the US, at least a continental breakfast was always included in the price...This is an issue, makes us look at how much they are charging for breakfast, if it is ridiculously priced I will look elsewhere...

I think the whole hospitality sector is changing....They all know we compare and contrast prices.....they are all trying to reduce costs to keep prices competitive so we will book with them.

We have noticed some differences in Celebrity over the years but as yet the changes have not interfered with our cruising pleasure....it is at the point where they are no longer providing the product you want you quite literally need to 'jump ship...'

In traveling the US, we find that the luxury (expensive) hotels tend to charge extra for breakfast, while the Super 8, Motel 5, Holiday Inn Express (lower end) tend to provide at least a continental breakfast.

Overseas, about the only free breakfasts are provided at B & Bs.

Dumb question - we booked a basic inside stateroom on Equinox an it says "complimentary tote bag" So we can take this bag with us when we disembark on the final day??? Most we ever got from Costa and MSC lines were a chocolate/mint on the pillow at turn down time and once in a while if the steward knew how they'd do a towel animal or two but not everyone got one as not all the stewards knew how.

Dumb question - we booked a basic inside stateroom on Equinox an it says "complimentary tote bag" So we can take this bag with us when we disembark on the final day??? Most we ever got from Costa and MSC lines were a chocolate/mint on the pillow at turn down time and once in a while if the steward knew how they'd do a towel animal or two but not everyone got one as not all the stewards knew how.

It's all your to have and hold and take home.

Has the twice daily room cleaning gone by the wayside? We don't need the bed made and the vacuuming, but having clean towels is a nice touch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure if they do a full cleaning but my experience on the last couple of cruises since they changed to a single attendant process has been that the evening "turndown" service includes picking up/replacing dirty towels etc., fresh ice if you have asked for ice (though the ice tongs seem to be MIA most of the time), removing dishes/glasses etc., and of course making bed if it's been used and doing the regular turndown service stuff re moving pillows, chocolate on pillow, curtains closed etc.

Has the twice daily room cleaning gone by the wayside? We don't need the bed made and the vacuuming, but having clean towels is a nice touch.

Sent from my iPad using Forum

It's still there, and other than the fact that our steward has no help we noticed no difference in service.

You never get anything free on a cruise. If you eat it, you have paid for it. There is no free lunch.

Yup the black and white cookies along with the macadamia nut cookies were "deep sixed." I believe this is the appropriate term. "Deep six" acquired its idiomatic definition because something thrown overboard at or greater than this depth would be difficult, if not impossible, to recover.

The term you are thinking of is "86'd"

You never get anything free on a cruise. If you eat it, you have paid for it. There is no free lunch.

While this is true, we've managed to enjoy our cruise by deciding that we are paying for our cabin, and all the rest is free. That way we don't feel we need to maximize our dining opportunities. A friend said her brother felt that he had paid for all the food in the price of the cruise, thus he hit the buffet for breakfast, lunch, and ate as much as he could at dinner, as well as any of the little free snacks during the day. Three days into a week cruise, the only trousers he could wear were his tuxedo pants because they adjusted.

So yeah, we pay for that, but I'm happier not thinking of it that way.

Beth

The term you are thinking of is "86'd"

No - there is a phrase "deep-six"

This phrase is derived from the noun “deep six,” meaning burial at sea and referring to the depth of water necessary for such a burial. The term was later used as slang for a grave (customarily six feet underground) and, by extension, as a verb meaning “to kill.”

86 something - is complicated but seems to have come from the restaurant trade and applies to refusing to serve someone. I thought it was a newspaper term referring to the last line of a teletype article but I didn't see that definition, so likely I am mistaken.

Beth

Just off the Constellation yesterday. Sparkling wine not in our cabin but we were told we could have it when we wanted. I don't usually drink it so I wasn't worried about it.

Card holder - we were given the leather one and hubby lost his Sea Pass mid-way through the cruise. They gave him a different card holder but when he mentioned the leather one, the guest relations person went into the back and found one.

Cafe El Bacio coffee designs were dependent on who made the coffee. To go cups were behind the counter but I don't know if they were given out to anyone who asked. I rinsed mine out and if we were up too early the next morning would go to Ocean View cafe and get coffee in our to go cups until Cafe El Bacio opened.

Had blue tote bag in my room, chocolates every night and instead of daily canapés, I switched to cheese and crackers. Crackers were fine if you were in your room when they were delivered, otherwise they were soggy.

A question. Can Elite Members still get free Bloody Marys and Mimosas at the Elite Member's breakfast? I asked a Captain Clubs rep and she wasn't even knowledgeable that this was being done. Thanks.

empehi

We have 3 cruises booked which will probably be our last. Not the cruise line we have experienced in the past. The venues we enjoyed are gone or will be removed. Unless our next cruise excels

we may kiss X good bye. We feel for the employees who seem to work to please the people who cruise while the Queen sits on her throne. When will new items be added to the specialty restaurant? Not $10 hamburger. I guess X wants only new people not us veterans. The value of X has not increased while the prices have increased. Missing the chocolates, animal towels or Seapass holders are not critical to us. We have many unused X bags. I expect the X loyalist to flame me.

No - there is a phrase "deep-six"

This phrase is derived from the noun “deep six,” meaning burial at sea and referring to the depth of water necessary for such a burial. The term was later used as slang for a grave (customarily six feet underground) and, by extension, as a verb meaning “to kill.”

86 something - is complicated but seems to have come from the restaurant trade and applies to refusing to serve someone. I thought it was a newspaper term referring to the last line of a teletype article but I didn't see that definition, so likely I am mistaken.

Beth

It is both a restaurant and bar term - in the restaurant, if a food item is not available, it is 86'd - I worked in a place which had an 86 board in the kitchen to inform servers that an item had sold out. Do in the case of the cookies they were 86'd