Ridiculous new Azamara "Sale"

AllisonJames

I love Azamara but I am starting to dislike their revenue managers who must assume we don't have a brain in our heads for prices. I was hoping the new promotion would be a real sale such as BOGO 50% off so I could book onboard this summer. Instead we get what appears to be a very disingenuous game with the prices and supposed "free" nights. Ha, ha, not funny. Since when is the actual price of a veranda suite an amount such as $8,316.10 (good heavens don't forget the 10 cents) only to be discounted down to an amount which is very close to what it has been all along? Come on Azamara, give us some credit here (and not just the onboard kind!) I have been tracking the prices on the website for certain cruises for months and no, you are not fooling me into booking. Please give us a real sale. And by the way, many of us have real free nights as club benefits to use when there aren't promotions so we don't need fake "free" nights!

Not fully sure I understand this sale, I have just made a comparison with our Journey cruise for 30th August 2018.

We booked this cruise in January 2016 and at that time before taxes and discount the cost for a N2 grade was £4728 per person or £429.82 per person per night for the 11 night cruise.

Today's price with the new sale applied the cost is £5222 per person, or with 3 of the 11 days being free £652.75 per person per night.

Now either there's a mistake on the website or the price per night has increased by 52% since we booked.

Our other 2018 has sold out in our grade so I've been unable to check it out but maybe someone else can verify this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Azamara prices do tend to increase. The best time to book is usually as far ahead as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While what you said might be true Grandma Cruising on our booked cruise for Nov. 2018 and which is included in this so called promotion, it is NOT a promotion at all. Had looked at the current fare yesterday and just now after reading this thread and the new price for our CC suite is exactly to the penny what is needed to get the 4 free nites which gets to the exact price we booked at.

This so called promotion is nothing more than making it look like you are getting free nites when the actual fare today is exactly the same as the fare was yesterday. This means this is NOT a promotion but, a way for people who didn't know the price yesterday to think they are getting free nites when in fact the fares yesterday and today are exactly the same and the promotion is really NO promotion.

Thanks RallyDave, for adding more proof, because I have been tracking a few cruises but did not check prices yesterday. And the odd dollar amounts and charging cents in the prices is also a dead giveaway that existing prices were manipulated to fit the "sale." I am so disappointed with this approach, this is not a great way to keep customers.

Thanks RallyDave, for adding more proof, because I have been tracking a few cruises but did not check prices yesterday. And the odd dollar amounts and charging cents in the prices is also a dead giveaway that existing prices were manipulated to fit the "sale." I am so disappointed with this approach, this is not a great way to keep customers.

I agree with you Allison. We have also been tracking prices on several itineraries and have found the same results as you and RallyDave. Very disappointed too.

We booked earlier this year during the 'buy one get one half price' offer. If we booked now it would be cheaper but as we are on the UK we can't do anything about it. Not impressed.

They're only doing the same thing our grocery stores do. They raised the price of a 2ltr bottle of Coke to $1.98 and made it a buy one get one free. Before and after that sale I had never seen the price above $1.59. They're both raising the price to lower it. Except the Coke deal is really better at 99 cents than Azamara is at the same price as before.

Celebrity Edge Jan. 13, 2019:

• Sky Suite S3 5/30/17: $4,599

• Sky Suite S3 5/31/17: $4,799

• Sky Suite S3 6/01/17: $4,599 [because it's 'on sale']

and this was true for every category from 08 and up -- but the lowest cabin categories did have a real (smaller) discount today

Keep up the good work folks and perhaps Azamara will take notice. However, it's not realistic to expect double upgrade or other offers until such time as the powers that be decide that sales are lagging and they need to increase demand by dropping prices. With the full 2018 and 2019 schedules out, there's probably a long time to go before that point is reached.

It is apparent though that Azamara will recoup the capital costs of their refurbishments - the cost was always going to be passed on, leading to increased prices. However, if they continue on their present pricing path, then their cruise prices move much closer to the true luxury lines than in the past.

A good example is the April 2019 Japan cruise. A balcony is presently AUD10,189 per person (excluding taxes). For a 15 night cruise, this works out at $1,358 pp per day, before taxes, excursions, flights. Silverseas also has a Japan cruise in April 2019. Their 13 night cruise is AUD9,895 pp - $1,516 per couple per day. However, if paid in full by 30/6/17, there's a 10% discount, reducing the daily cost to AUD1,385. They also guarantee that we can apply and receive the benefit of any reduced prices after booking - something which Azamara will not do for Australian clients - only in North America.

While I think the itinerary on Azamara's Japan cruise is preferable, Silversea suites are considerably more comfortable and luxurious than Azamara's balcony cabins and their suites. They also have top shelf drinks included. For effectively the same money, Silverseas is undoubtedly luxury compared to Azamara. So, it comes down to whether Azamara's itinerary is so much better than Silverseas' to give up the higher standard cruiseship experience that Silverseas offers.

Tony

We booked earlier this year during the 'buy one get one half price' offer. If we booked now it would be cheaper but as we are on the UK we can't do anything about it. Not impressed.

Bouff,

It may be worth checking if this is still the case. We are on Quest at the moment and had a drink with Amanda, the Future Cruise Manager the other night. She told us that the price guarantee has now been extended to include UK guests and not before time. Why not drop a quick email to Richard Twynam?

Hope you manage to save some £££

Bouff,

It may be worth checking if this is still the case. We are on Quest at the moment and had a drink with Amanda, the Future Cruise Manager the other night. She told us that the price guarantee has now been extended to include UK guests and not before time. Why not drop a quick email to Richard Twynam?

Hope you manage to save some £££

It's not quite as good as Amanda is making out. It was explained to us onboard that it only applies to onboard bookings, you are allowed one price drop only and of course you are responsible for monitoring your booking and claiming the drop. But yes certainly a good change though maybe one they felt safe introducing given where the £ is now to a year ago. All our bookings are still much lower than current £ prices.

As we have enjoyed 4 Azamara cruises in suites over the past 18 months I am sad to say Seabourn is much better value and maintaining ships in Europe for summer hols 2018 and 2019.

We are trying them this summer as Azamara price increases have taken them out of our comfort zone. I too was waiting for the June promotion and knew to the penny how much certain cruises were. Obviously the Sales team must think Guests cannot do Maths. Our travel agent is now giving us details of what he calls 'proper' luxury cruise lines.

I just book at a price I'm happy with. I ignore all of the sales and promotions. They aren't worth it. I do monitor my booked cruises daily, though, because I have been able to take advantage of huge price drops.

Michael

I just book at a price I'm happy with. I ignore all of the sales and promotions. They aren't worth it. I do monitor my booked cruises daily, though, because I have been able to take advantage of huge price drops.

Michael

Perhaps Azamara has always used the shell game for promotions. The difference now is that prices have increased so much causing many of us to hope for a real "sale". As this thread illustrates, most of us comparison shop. If a CC Suite costs $US1100 per day for two (the current price on a 9 day Adriatic Cruise in an N1 is $10,274) we will definitely look to other cruise lines at that price point. We like Azamara very much, but we don't think they are competitive at this price point.

As we have enjoyed 4 Azamara cruises in suites over the past 18 months I am sad to say Seabourn is much better value and maintaining ships in Europe for summer hols 2018 and 2019.

We are trying them this summer as Azamara price increases have taken them out of our comfort zone. I too was waiting for the June promotion and knew to the penny how much certain cruises were. Obviously the Sales team must think Guests cannot do Maths. Our travel agent is now giving us details of what he calls 'proper' luxury cruise lines.

Hello Welshfamily,

I'm sorry to learn you're moving on from Azamara, as your posts regarding prior cruises have been fun and informative reads for me. Would like to suggest that you share any "other" cruiseline reviews on this forum, as I believe we may become more and more interested as fewer European sailings are slated by AZ...

Perhaps Azamara has always used the shell game for promotions. The difference now is that prices have increased so much causing many of us to hope for a real "sale". As this thread illustrates, most of us comparison shop. If a CC Suite costs $US1100 per day for two (the current price on a 9 day Adriatic Cruise in an N1 is $10,274) we will definitely look to other cruise lines at that price point. We like Azamara very much, but we don't think they are competitive at this price point.

Well said 👍

We also love Azamara but after 16 cruises with them havejust returned from our first sailing with Seabourn on their new ship Encorebecause the cost was LESS than the equivalent CC suite on AZ.

Very impressedwith Seabourn...beautiful new ship, larger suite (tub plus walk-in shower, twinwash basin), far superior complimentary wine selection ( in fact over 30, anyof which can be ordered) It includes champagne, many well known brand wines suchas Penfolds, Kendal Jackson, R Mondavi, Oyster Bay, all liquors and brandies).

The food, entertainment and crew were also outstanding.

We were so impressed we have just booked another cruise withSeabourn to Alaska, and again it's less than an AZ. equivalent.

So sorry Azamara, but there is a lot of choice in thissector of the cruise business, with some lovely modern ships, and we feel thatAzamara is charging a premium which does not work for us anymore when comparedto the competition. (Others may not agree and that's fine)

I'm disappointed in Azamara and I haven't even taken my first cruise. It's not the quality. It's not anything more than the limited availability and the jump in prices.

I hit Elite on Celebrity two cruises ago. My spousal unit hits the equivalent on the upcoming AZ cruise. I had decided to move up in line so I booked an Azamara cruise. Our first is this August. I was hoping to make Azamara our next go to cruise line from Celebrity. But alas, they played the rate game to their detriment with me. As I was searching for a couple of 2018 and then 2019 the costs caused me to also include Oceania. We had cruised them once before in 2014 and considered the two lines similar since they both use R class ships.

When I priced, I found a VX on AZ much more expensive per night than O's Concierge for the identical cabin location/number aft. But O also included four nights in their specialty restaurants, unlimited WiFi and airfare! I wound up putting three O cruises on the books. One 16 night, one 14 night and a 10 night.

I understand AZ has no choice. They only have two ships that fill on probably ALL cruises. So they can get the rate from the loyalists. Unfortunately I was hoping to be an AZ loyalist but the rate rug got pulled out from under me.

I hope we can find an AZ cruise in the future which itinerary and price will work for us. However since I usually book as soon as they're released, I'm a little skeptical.

I am really looking forward to our upcoming Journey 12 day to the Baltic's and expect to be really impressed.

This thread has been very enlightening.

I have been waiting for a double upgrade offer from Azamara for a cruise that appeals to us for 2019.

However, the references to the alternatives at equal or better cost to Azamara has me looking into other cruise lines that are now in the mix.

I think like every industry new price promotion techniques are used, then customers get wise to them, so new ones are developed. Azamara is no different in that respect.

Loss of goodwill is never good but I wonder how much they really are losing. Cruisecritic is a really small % of their cruising market. It seems the rest of the market are paying the prices though. Several of our cruises for 2018 have very little room availability and people are continuing to book now at prices which are higher than 12 months ago. Of course in the US some of these bookings might not convert into cruisers but elsewhere in the world, where there is not the cancellation flexibility they probably will.

Our last two cruises had US guests being No3 and No2 respectively in numbers on board and looking back past Pursuits US guests haven't been No 1 for over a year. So maybe the global market is shaping up differently for Azamara.

The other thing, onboard repeat cruisers on these two cruises were at the two highest figures ever and rebooking onboard was doing very brisk business. With only two ships, if almost everyone who is a repeater rebooks and the number coming over from other lines especially Celebrity stays at its current level, demand is going to stay high.

In the end of the day, if they are filling their ships pricing is all about supply and demand and whilst it is always nice to see last minute offers I've made my 2018 and 2019 bookings as I'm not expecting big discounts to kick in.

Time will tell if I've got it right or wrong as I'm saving my limited use crystal ball for picking lottery winners to fund this addictive cruising habit.

I think like every industry new price promotion techniques are used, then customers get wise to them, so new ones are developed. Azamara is no different in that respect.

Loss of goodwill is never good but I wonder how much they really are losing. Cruisecritic is a really small % of their cruising market. It seems the rest of the market are paying the prices though. Several of our cruises for 2018 have very little room availability and people are continuing to book now at prices which are higher than 12 months ago. Of course in the US some of these bookings might not convert into cruisers but elsewhere in the world, where there is not the cancellation flexibility they probably will.

Our last two cruises had US guests being No3 and No2 respectively in numbers on board and looking back past Pursuits US guests haven't been No 1 for over a year. So maybe the global market is shaping up differently for Azamara.

The other thing, onboard repeat cruisers on these two cruises were at the two highest figures ever and rebooking onboard was doing very brisk business. With only two ships, if almost everyone who is a repeater rebooks and the number coming over from other lines especially Celebrity stays at its current level, demand is going to stay high.

In the end of the day, if they are filling their ships pricing is all about supply and demand and whilst it is always nice to see last minute offers I've made my 2018 and 2019 bookings as I'm not expecting big discounts to kick in.

Time will tell if I've got it right or wrong as I'm saving my limited use crystal ball for picking lottery winners to fund this addictive cruising habit.

On the LCV cruise we were told 47% of Azamara passengers overall are from the US.