Going from Aqua to MDR--will I survive?

signora

We've done Aqua class the last two cruises and loved it but alas we are in a regular balcony cabin on the next cruise to save $ for the cruise after that (lol)--we are doing the 3 specialty restaurant package bought with OBC but I think it will be so hard to not be dining in Blu! Has anyone else survived this change?

[emoji15]Yes! We surprised friends last August by turning up on Equinox with them when they didn't know we had booked. It was last minute and we couldn't get AQ. Got Concierge with balcony GQ so were happy. First time in MDR for ages. It wasn't Blu but was fine, and we did the speciality restaurants and the buffet too. You'll live! Trust me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Aqua class on one occasion and have chosen not to book it again. My husband prefers the greater variety of choices in the MDR, and we did not find the Aqua class food quality to be exceptional enough to justify the increased cost. If you are open minded about the MDR you may find it to be better than you expected​.

If your plan was to save money, then you can definitely find something to eat in the MDR and be just fine. Yes, it is easier to move up than down, but you will be rewarded with another cruise! Yay, as some people never get to even do one cruise! Have a great time...My DH and I went back to Blu even though we had Luminae as our restaurant. It was an awful choice, as we had to sit in the back and waited an hour just to get a salad! That was the only poor experience that we have ever had in Blu, but it scares us to return. One never knows for sure what will happen anymore, but since you have a package too, you should be just fine!

We've done Aqua class the last two cruises and loved it but alas we are in a regular balcony cabin on the next cruise to save $ for the cruise after that (lol)--we are doing the 3 specialty restaurant package bought with OBC but I think it will be so hard to not be dining in Blu! Has anyone else survived this change?

Yes. We have "survived" and enjoyed the MDR. There was nothing wrong with it.

There are more choices in the MDR which pleases us. Plus you get to meet people at your table and share what you did during the day. We are not thrilled with the new dessert menu in Blu. Some nights, we found the buffet as being a really good option as they had theme dinners.

We have gone up and down frequently and love Blu, but sometimes we go with an oceanview on port intensive cruises. Really enjoyed the MDR on Millennium from Singapore to HKG. Was surprised at how good the food was. Did Summit last month and enjoyed Blu. You'll survive. :)

We are doing the same on our next cruise.

My DH does not like breakfast in BLU and prefers to just get a banana at the buffet. At home he doesn't eat breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our last cruise..Infinity/ABC Islands in Oct..BLU was off its usual standard. We ate out more than ever and on one nite made MDR res...it was very good, We had great, prompt service, very nice menu choices...no Squab, pheasant, etc...the trick is to find a time that works, a nice table and good servers...We were so happy with the dinner and would consider it if need be on a future cruise...

we would miss BLU for breakfast but would survive,,

Plenty of good responses here, and of course you will manage to weather the change!

We did find, in moving from Blu to the MDR, that we had difficulty with the noise level in the MDR. Even after moving to a "quieter" section, it was still much much noisier than we found Blu to be. We ended up in the buffet on more than one occasion just to escape the non-stop din of the MDR.

Our last cruise was in a 1A cabin rather than AQ because of the difference in cost. I, like you, was concerned about going back to the MDR. We opted for Select Dining - and chose to sit at a table for 2 (reminds us of Blu) each night. The noise level in the front part of the MDR was way too loud for us, and we were not impressed with the sommeliers the first few nights. So, we made the decision to move to the other side of the MDR and ask to be seated in a quieter section. We were seated in the "private" section which is in the back. The noise level was much reduced and we enjoyed eating in our "private" area so much we asked to be seated in that section each of the remaining nights. The food was very good and, despite having lots of OBC, we decided to pass on the specialty dining and have all of our dinners in the MDR.

I was surprised that we were not offered a wine list in the MDR. I suppose that is because a very short list of wines was printed on the bottom of the dinner menu. Having a premium beverage package, I decided that the list of 4 or 5 wines and uncommunicative sommeliers was not working for me. So, by the fourth night, I decided I would have to take matters into my own hands. I asked for the wine list when we were seated that night - and each of the following nights. The wine list was much longer and gave me the options I was hoping for. I enjoyed two of the wines that have been mentioned quite often on the Celebrity boards - Mer Soleil Chardonnay and Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon - in the MDR. Tried a few other wines in the MDR too.

We had breakfast in the MDR or in the Aqua Spa cafe - and enjoyed the choices for breakfast in both of those eateries. We chose to stay away from the buffet - too hectic and we decided that healthier breakfast choices were the better direction. Fresh fruit/melon, oatmeal with berries and muesli in the Aqua Spa Cafe, accompanied by a latte and muffin (carrot or blueberry) from Cafe al Bacio were my choices, unless we went to the MDR for eggs, bagels etc.

Your comment about using the saved money for another cruise is spot on. I'd rather take an "extra" cruise than spend twice as much for pretty much the same experience. Of course, I'd grab a AQ cabin in a heartbeat if the price was right.

Enjoy your cruise!

We love Blu not just for the food but the ambience. It is much quieter and more private than the MDR. And we can always get anything that is on the MDR menu at Blu thanks to great waiters. Counting the Persian Gardens also, I can't imagine not having an Aqua Spa cabin. I hope your choice works for you. Everyone is different after all.

Another option is the buffet for dinner, it is much less crowded than lunch or breakfast. Lots of options plus they now have the grill with made to order steaks, ribs, chicken and salmon. We usually do it at least once per cruise.

After sailing in AQ for many cruises on Celebrity we "took" a chance and sailed in a regular balcony because we couldn't justify the extra cost. We planned at worse to dine in the specialty restaurants if required as the cost difference would have more than paid for it.

We found the MDR using select dining and always having a table for two was just as good and in some cases better than Blu. We couldn't find that the meals weren't as healthy as what they claim in Blu and there were more choices. We also dined every morning in the MDR for breakfast. Again more options, they also came around with the same juices and pastries.

Unless the cost differential isn't that great we will continue to sail in a regular balcony.

Yes you will survive

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Unlike many I am not over impressed with Blu. Quite like breakfast there but found the dinner menus uninspiring.

Found lots of choice in the MDR but the noise was a little off putting.

Nevertheless, I am sure you will have a great cruise knowing you have another one to look forward to

Due to the price difference, our last cruise booked an A1 cabin vs our usual Aqua. I too was concerned that we wouldnt like the MDR, so on the first day we purchased a 4 specialty dining pkg. We ate in Tuscan the first night and MDR, the 2nd night, we were so pleased with main dining that we canceled the specialty pkg. Perhaps we lucked out getting a great serving team and sommelier.

Ours was a 9 night cruise and we survived! :)

We're doing the same on our next cruise, we've been in AQ for the last 4, so this will be a big change, we may not even eat in the MDR though, we have the 7 night dinner package, plus two overnight ports, so that only leaves 5 nights to fill, I figure we may do MDR on the first night only.

I'll miss the ambiance & service in blu, however, we've grown a bit weary of the menu. Even though thier breakfast is delish, the elite breakfast in Tuscan is wonderful too... We'll both buy passes to the persian gardens...

AQ was priced well over $1000 each above a balcony cabin when we booked, which simply is not worth it when we could eat in Murano every night for far less with a package. :)

We got a price drop/upgrade to Aqua last September on our Silhouette cruise from Amsterdam to Rome and loved Blu. When I booked our Asia cruise for last March Aqua was an extra $2000 and we were traveling with cousins who were already booked in a veranda and quite happy with it so we saved the $2000, enjoyed the MDR and couple of nights in the Tuscan Grille and put our savings towards our upcoming trip on the Constellation from Venice to Barcelona. Did we miss you Blu? yes, a little but we really did enjoy the MDR and loved the savings. When the price is right I will go with Aqua but when the cost gets into four figures it is just not worth it to me.

We love Blu not just for the food but the ambience. It is much quieter and more private than the MDR. And we can always get anything that is on the MDR menu at Blu thanks to great waiters. Counting the Persian Gardens also, I can't imagine not having an Aqua Spa cabin. I hope your choice works for you. Everyone is different after all.

Whether they will leave Blu and get you a meal from the MDR varies from cruise to cruise. They try to discourage it, especially on the S Class ship where there are separate galleys. The M Class ships share the same galley so food can be served at the proper temperature. If you are in Blu and want a meal from the MDR you should make arrangements to go to the MDR for that meal. Staffs have been reduced and sending someone out to get a meal just slows down service for others.

We've done suites and regular balconies and enjoy both. But, after the recent prices hikes that made the price spread between the two just plain silly to justify, we have sworn off suites unless there is an amazing deal. But more importantly, when we dined in Luminae or Blu, we found that we missed the camaraderie of sitting with the same tablemates over the course of the cruise. The last few cruises we have found the food in the MDR to be just fine and appreciate the lovely large salads and tasty soups especially. Not only will you survive, you might actually come to prefer the MDR!

Yup!

Tho Blu was nice, after trying it, we found nothing overall special except the smaller room. You will be fine.

The dining room in Blu is quieter, but like another poster mentioned, I do like the camaraderie of sitting at a large table with the same people. I've made some life-long friends that way. As to the food, in 2014, I did two B2B, 28 day cruises (Constellation EB TA & Baltic; Reflection Eastern Med & WB TA). On each B2B, I was in Blu first cruise and MDR for second. The food was the same. Really. Presentation was different, i.e, corn soup in Blu came out with the corn on the bottom of the bowl, over which was poured the liquid with much panache. In the MDR, it came out as a bowl of soup and was set in front of me. Exact same recipe. I like the ambiance in Blu but won't pay a premium of more than a couple hundred dollars for it. And I also enjoy the Oceanview for dinner occasionally. It's quiet and the staff will bend over backwards for you if you talk to them about their home.

We ate in Blu on our first cruise and MDR on our most recent.

The food was fine. Our reflection was that we didn't have any memorable meals but all were enjoyable. We ate at a table for 2 but often with the same neighbours.

Next cruise we are back to Blu but mostly because the difference was only about £200 by the time we got the extra perk for booking AQ at Future Cruises.

You will survive and will probably have a good time. I like the MDR. Ask for a quiet table on the side. Spending extra for an AQua class cabin is not my choice. Neither will I pay extra for a suite and dine in Luminae. Celebrity created a marketing winner when they made concierge and aqua class. Selling the concept of being more elite can attract some people. The cabins are the same as the regular veranda cabins. The extra features may or may not be really attractive to you. Suites offer you more space which is attractive to some cruisers. If saving money is your goal, book the cheapest cabin that you will enjoy. Oceanview cabins are good. I started cruising many years ago before verandas, aqua, luminae, concierge, etc. The cruise was the destination. Everyone enjoyed the same food and entertainment. Once you paid your fare, the ship welcomed you to enjoy all the venues. Just go and enjoy!