Hooray!!!.....not stopping in Nassau

cowboygene

The Allure will not be stopping in Nassau as we will do a Western itinerary...i may be in the minority, but, Nassau is my least favorite port.On our last two visits we stayed aboard the ship.

On our prior visits, we were constantly harrased to buy things, had someone demand money, and almost robbed on tbe number 10 bus.

Our driver knew what was going to happen to us, stopped and threw the guy off who was stalking us.

Don't think you are in the minority about Nassau. Chased by a woman in a bloody white dress there on our first and last cruise there. Will never book another cruise there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went to Atlantis for the day and loved it. We'll have to do that again if we ever go back, because it seems to be all horror stories about Nassau!

There is a lot to do there, you just have to research. We liked Atlantis, RIU, Breezes, and the Hilton, plus saw some great reviews for private islands and boating charters. It's not a place you just want to wander around the port.

I'd take Nassau twice over Falmouth. I'd do a 7-day stay at Nassau over Falmouth. At least Nassau has a free beach I won't get stabbed walking to or covered in weed smoke.

Jamaica hater surfaces to start tangent in Nassau thread:rolleyes:

We've spent two week long vacations in Jamaica and ported their many times. Always a great visit. Haven't been stabbed yet.......

We've spent two week long vacations in Jamaica and ported their many times. Always a great visit. Haven't been stabbed yet.......

You may be on borrowed time now [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all of our 10 cruises on various ships, have done the eastern 2x, and the western 8.

Something about the western ports keeps us going back.

Something about the eastern ports (Nassau) keeps us away.

Personal preference, maybe, but we travel to where we enjoy, and bring in the new as we go.

To each their own, as long as THEY enjoy where they cruise.

Safe travels.

We always find something interesting and fun to do in Nassau. This last time we really enjoyed a culinary/history walking tour that opened our eyes to even more history and culture...plus some really good restaurants! Going to one of them that we really enjoyed (and had no idea was there) for lunch on our next trip there next month.

Thanks again Bob!! :D

Itinerary has never been a factor for us. We do like western better but will go the other anytime. We consider Cozumel our vacation home. We just stay on the ship most Nassau and Jamaica runs. Or go over to Margaritaville in Jamaica. It's the ship and the people who are on it we go for.

Of course we've been there done that in both places and never had a problem away from the port. Even on the #9 gentney to Breezes in Jamaica.

I always find something to do in Nassau, but as time passes spend less time ashore and more time onboard enjoying quiet ship for a few hours. It it flat geographically and once you get out of port tourist trap area it is mostly rundown. Cheap stop to do a few things but I don't mind when we miss Nassau.

Well, back in the day, Ocho Rios was a great destination compared to many of the others. I used to do business in Kingston for about a decade, so Jamaica never bothered me for work related purposes, but for vacationing I think they need to do a bit more. I also know that a US corporation building a megaport makes it hard for locals to compete, though.

There used to be a gorgeous locals beach in Falmouth (this is going back 5ish years) that was converted to a private "beach club". I preferred the locals beach -- took my inflatable paddleboards off the ship, spent $5 on a taxi to the beach, paddleboarded all day teaching locals. Lots of good memories...

It isn't Jamaica itself I don't like, it's Jamaica today compared to other ports -- I cruise enough that I constantly have to rediscover, so I am hopeful I'll discover something new in Falmouth. One never knows.

Nassau definitely isn't a hated spot for me. Junkanoo continues to be a fun beach for me, and it's a close walk from the ship. $10 a day for a beach chair and a free coconut isn't too shabby. I also do a lot of the 3-day weekend cruises on MJ/EN and they're 100% Nassau and CocoCay and I always have a pleasant time on both, but for someone who may only cruise once or thrice a year, I understand Nassau being a bit rundown.

I've found ways to enjoy everyone of our visits to Nassau. I always look forward to returning. I also feel the same way about Jamaica.

I totally agree. If you go with respect for the country and the people, you usually find a way to enjoy and maybe learn something.

I totally agree. If you go with respect for the country and the people, you usually find a way to enjoy and maybe learn something.

Been there many, many times...and this is always the case for us also. Just need to think outside the box (or the

usual tourist trappings. ;))

Add me to the list of liking Nassau. There is always something fun to do there Atlantis, fish restaurants, the fort, private beaches on the back side of the island, lighthouse, etc. We usually walk over to Atlantis with the big bridge then walk back to the fish restaurants for a quick bite to eat then stop by the beach on the way to the ship. Makes a very nice day.

Also if you are on one of the cruises that leaves at midnight sitting on the back deck of the ship with a bottle of wine and some snacks as you sail away watching Nassau disappear behind you can be very enjoyable.

Add me to the list of liking Nassau. There is always something fun to do there Atlantis, fish restaurants, the fort, private beaches on the back side of the island, lighthouse, etc. We usually walk over to Atlantis with the big bridge then walk back to the fish restaurants for a quick bite to eat then stop by the beach on the way to the ship. Makes a very nice day.

Also if you are on one of the cruises that leaves at midnight sitting on the back deck of the ship with a bottle of wine and some snacks as you sail away watching Nassau disappear behind you can be very enjoyable.

Totally agree with all of that!! :D

I was considering this excursion. Thanks for your comment. I've done Atlantis and really have no reason to go back.

We always find something interesting and fun to do in Nassau. This last time we really enjoyed a culinary/history walking tour that opened our eyes to even more history and culture...plus some really good restaurants! Going to one of them that we really enjoyed (and had no idea was there) for lunch on our next trip there next month.

Thanks again Bob!! :D

I was considering this excursion. Thanks for your comment. I've done Atlantis and really have no reason to go back.

You are most welcome!

It was a fun tour, with lots of history, a little easy walking exercise, some good food and treat samples, and

it pointed out some places that we did not even knew existed! Has great reviews, but what steered us to it

was Bub's excellent recommendation. He was not wrong! :)

Have actually never done Atlantis. Not our type of thing. ;)

Just did a stop in Nassau last week (Grandeur), and had a reasonable time.

We did the Seahorse and Snorkel. Out on a catamaran and snokeled and came back. Nice afternoon.

After dinner onboard, we walked out and on the advice of the gate guard, had drinks at the Via Caffe, right outside the port area. Happy Hour until 9PM with half price drinks. And they made DRINKS. Table had Yellow Birds and Bahama Mams and they were POTENT. $44 for 8 drinks.