Regal Princess: Has Princess Corrected the Mistakes

stevenr597

We are currently do some research on the Royal Class of Princess ships. In respect to complaints (we realize that there has never been and will never be a perfect cruise ships) were the following comments. We do question whether Royal has made an attempt to correct them.

1) Wrap around Promenade Deck. We understand that both Regal and Royal did not have this, but was this corrected when Regal was in dry dock.

2) Central Staircase: In the original design it did not go above deck 7. We have heard that both Regal and Royal has had the crew staircase in the center opened up for general traffic. Is this true.

3) No in inadequate aft-pool. It is our understanding that Regal did have a pool placed in the aft of the ship, but that individuals have said it was small. Any comments.

4) Finally, Celebrity has always prided themselves on the fact that their ships are not crowded. Does one feel “crowded” on the Royal Class.

Overall, we do know that this is a great class of ships.

We are currently do some research on the Royal Class of Princess ships. In respect to complaints (we realize that there has never been and will never be a perfect cruise ships) were the following comments. We do question whether Royal has made an attempt to correct them.

1) Wrap around Promenade Deck. We understand that both Regal and Royal did not have this, but was this corrected when Regal was in dry dock.

2) Central Staircase: In the original design it did not go above deck 7. We have heard that both Regal and Royal has had the crew staircase in the center opened up for general traffic. Is this true.

3) No in inadequate aft-pool. It is our understanding that Regal did have a pool placed in the aft of the ship, but that individuals have said it was small. Any comments.

4) Finally, Celebrity has always prided themselves on the fact that their ships are not crowded. Does one feel “crowded” on the Royal Class.

1) No, Princess did not do a major ship overhaul and completely redesign the promenade deck to have a wrap around deck for walking there. They have that on 18, the sports deck. The Promenade deck still only goes forward and aft, nice comfy quiet sitting areas, and you can stroll forward and aft.

2) Yes, central staircase refurbished for passenger use and open as of drydock.

3) no changes to aft splash pool. Still small, cooling and easy to lounge around - although near a smoking area.

4) have never felt crowded on Royal class ships. We fell less crowded on Royal class than on Solstice class. Much more space to spread out both indoors and out. Lots more quiet spaces - especially indoors as the Atrium music and such doesn't spread throughout the ship as on Solstice class.

Royal class is our favorite class of Princess ship while Millennium is our favorite class for Celebrity (Solstice class is great, just compact on pool decks, and the newer ones have no dance club at all!)

If you've enjoyed Celebrity, you'll likely enjoy Royal class in Princess.

Here is my input to your questions:

1) There is no wrap around promenade deck. They did open up a section behind the life boats , but you still can’t go to the bow. It is also doubtful this will be “corrected” given the design of the ship and the fact that not every passenger sees this as an issue .

2) The central staircase was opened up on the Royal and I believe now on the Regal during its last dry dock in Hamburg Germany.

3) It is small and doubtful it will be “improved”. The other three pools are actually fairly big for a contemporary cruise ship and I would argue the forward adults only pool I actually huge. Again this is one item that is subject to personal opinion and preferences.

4) I love this class of ship and have never felt crowded , but your mileage may very depending on your personal preference and the length and season of the cruise ( holiday / families vs. off season )

That’s my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There hasn’t been a wraparound Promenade deck on any Princess ship in many years. The Regal was designed with a narrow passageway behind the lifeboats and tenders if you want to walk forward or aft outside. There’s a walking/jogging track on Sun deck.

FYI, the deck plans on the Princess website show the answers to most of your questions.

Been on the Royal (sister ship to the Regal) several times for longer cruises and never felt crowded. The Horizon Court and Horizon Bistro (the buffets) are massive and far better than what I’ve experienced on Celebrity in terms of food and seating options.

To me, the biggest design defect for the Royal class is the 4-foot-deep balconies for most balcony cabins. Those are as impossible to correct as the Promenade deck. We like a lot of other things about the class, though, and have booked the Regal for a Baltic cruise next summer.

Never felt that the ship was any more crowded than any other ship.

Jim

. . . .

We have been on the Royal twice and the Celebrity Eclipse once in the last 3 years. IMHO, the Eclipse felt much more crowded as the passageways on the public decks are much narrower and hence more crowding when going from the dining room to the theater, e.g. Never felt that way on the Royal (or any Princess ship). The crowding on the Eclipse was primarily in the evenings, esp. on Deck 4, which is ironically the "Promenade Deck." The Eclipse has a Grand Foyer but it's only one deck high, compared to the Royal's Piazza which is 3 decks high. OTOH, the buffet on the Eclipse has very high ceilings (2-decks high maybe) so it's a lot "airier" than the buffet on the Royal. Although I never use the pool area on any ship, I have walked thru them frequently. I thought the Eclipse pool upper deck was very crowded feeling.

Definitely felt more crowded on Equinox than Regal in the public areas. Walking from showroom to the shops was sardine city. Buffet way more crowded. Really noticed the impact this last month. However, we feel that the pool space felt less crowded on Solstice class than on Regal.

1. I do not think Princess feels this is a design flaw at all. This is the way they designed this ship. I think this is the way it will be in the future no more promenade all the way around decks. I was worried the first time we cruised on this ship that I would really miss it but didn't miss it at all. We really liked walking on the outside track better.

2. They did open this up people were really complaining about it.

3. This could be a very nice area but we could not enjoy it because it is a smoking allowed area. We are non smokers just could not stand the smoke. Not a problem found somewhere else to enjoy.

4. I can't comment on Celebrity we have not cruised on their ships. I do not feel the Royal class ships are anymore crowded that other Princess ships. If you are cruising in bad weather where people can not go outside it will feel crowded on any of the ships. This has happened to us a few times on Transatlantic cruises in rough seas when they have had to close the outside decks.

We have enjoyed our cruises on the Regal. We have cruised on it twice a 17 day transatlantic & a 10 Caribbean cruise. We will be on the Regal again over New Years for 10 days. It is one of our favorite ships.

To me, the biggest design defect for the Royal class is the 4-foot-deep balconies for most balcony cabins. Those are as impossible to correct as the Promenade deck. We like a lot of other things about the class, though, and have booked the Regal for a Baltic cruise next summer.

Never felt that the ship was any more crowded than any other ship.

Jim

How deep would you like the balconies to be?

Not starting an argument, just wondering.

We love the Regal and The Royal and we have cruised on many lines and many ships. We were on Silhouette this past January and we did not like the decor, we did not like what seemed like music always coming from somewhere in the atrium area (not really an atrium like Princess). The Silhouette (solstice type) just felt cold. We missed the Princess panache and style. We always wanted to try Celebrity but had to choose a ship that was comparable to Regal and Royal. Will not go back. In terms of balcony size, I have to agree that the balcony size in a standard balcony cabin on Regal and Royal is smaller than the old ships, e.g. Emerald, Crown, Ruby. Cost cutting I guess. What is fabulous on Princess ships however, is the closet area (you walk in and there is a great closest area even in smaller interior cabins and lots of mirrors - great for us ladies getting dressed and there is a bit of privacy so we can get dressed outside of the bathroom!! Yes, there is no promenade deck as in the olden days where you could walk a mile on Deck 7 type of thing. But there is a great International Cafe with lots of seating!!! There is great Alfredos! I find there are enough pools and hot tubs. Theatre on R and R is a tad small so it is imperative that one arrive 30 minutes earlier which can be a bit of a drag. But all in all, I will return to R and R every time I can. And of course, it is so great to have the large MUTS (Movies under the Stars) and the cookies and popcorn even on TAs. There are some really great deals on line today with Princess for November and December on Regal and Royal. If only I was not already booked for Harmony of the Seas on Dec 2.

I'd be perfectly happy with the 5-foot balconies that are standard on most earlier Princess ships.

The 4-foot balconies force you to sit almost sideways if you want to stretch out, and make it hard for one person to get past another to get in and out the slider.

Jim

my previous experience was on NCL breakaway

answer to your number 4: WHERE were all the people. other than the muster crush at the elevators,i had no idea there were people on the ship! where were they? no fighting for seats, buffet, hot tubs. nothing. i forgot to ask the steward if we were half empty or something. also on the one bad sea day there was TONS of indoor seating and activities to keep us busy. we were bored stiff on the breakaway and the crowds there were insane.

i really did think the ship was sailing half empty . i dont know if its the 3 sets of elevators that keeps it not so busy or maybe they gassed half the pax and they were sleeping all day and nite, but i just cannot get over how much better the flow of people was on this ship compared to the other i was on. if i can get a steal of a price again id sail in a minute.

also except for day 1 in alfredos with them pushing wine tasting, we never had any issues with trying to sell us stuff. no pushy people. no crowds in the hallways. it was great!

I'd be perfectly happy with the 5-foot balconies that are standard on most earlier Princess ships.

The 4-foot balconies force you to sit almost sideways if you want to stretch out, and make it hard for one person to get past another to get in and out the slider.

Jim

I would like them deep enough to put out a lounge chair or two

Exactly my thoughts. I don't need a massive amount of room but it sure would be preferable to what they offer now. :(

I'll bet the sales for balcony dinners must have really dropped off. I couldn't see eating more than coffee & danish on my balcony.

1. I do not think Princess feels this is a design flaw at all. This is the way they designed this ship. I think this is the way it will be in the future no more promenade all the way around decks. I was worried the first time we cruised on this ship that I would really miss it but didn't miss it at all. We really liked walking on the outside track better.

QUOTE]

I agree. I think it is more of a design specification by Princess to have more revenue-generating public space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jim

I'm long legged and with the chair turned facing out, I could not fit. We generally like to have room service breakfast out there, but that was out of the question. For us, it was a waste. That extra foot makes a lot of difference. It would seem they could shorten the room by foot and have a foot of overhang to make it 5'. I'd hope that would be a consideration on future builds.

I'm long legged and with the chair turned facing out' date=' I could not fit. We generally like to have room service breakfast out there, but that was out of the question. For us, it was a waste. That extra foot makes a lot of difference. It would seem they could shorten the room by foot and have a foot of overhang to make it 5'. I'd hope that would be a consideration on future builds.[/quote']

stay off NCL breakaway. since this was the same size as there, i didnt know any better how tiny these were

well that is except the angled balcony i got there, which was nice 2nd time around

I'm long legged and with the chair turned facing out' date=' I could not fit. We generally like to have room service breakfast out there, but that was out of the question. For us, it was a waste. That extra foot makes a lot of difference. It would seem they could shorten the room by foot and have a foot of overhang to make it 5'. I'd hope that would be a consideration on future builds.[/quote'] fishin' musician what a great name I like it. Right up my alley (y)

We'll be on the Royal for the first time in December. We have a regular balcony cabin. I'll miss the extra size because we have tried for Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand-class ships when we've had balcony cabins. But this one will be a lot better than the inside cabin we had on the Caribbean Princess in August. We've even booked the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It will be on my birthday while the ship is sailing away from Martinique, so we will make it work.

f73c87f184735cc41dbc4f8310f2c0033d5e6d1c1aee49dab8b00caec4d975ed.jpg

The balconies on Celebrity Solstice are a nice size. Deep enough to have a chair facing out to sea. You can't do that on the Royal class balconies, you have to sit at an angle.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't need a massive amount of room but it sure would be preferable to what they offer now. :(

I'll bet the sales for balcony dinners must have really dropped off. I couldn't see eating more than coffee & danish on my balcony.

Royal wasn't too bad for a balcony dinner. They set the table by the balcony rail and there was enough space for service and to go in and out of the cabin if you wished.