Project Icon Class

I also see the opportunity to maybe get in some great wish list ideas with this thread, while I don't have any significant ones I can think of some things that might be fun to have.  And here we have a chance to give RCCL all kinds of ideas on what might draw us to book another cruise just that much sooner.   We once met a young crew member who happened to be the one who suggested the idea of the computer terminals onboard, all from watching passengers rush ashore in search of the nearest coffee wifi spot.  Granted this was before it became so common to bring your own laptops but great ideas are always out there. 

On the chance these might inspire and although not that great.... my biggest wish would be for an Oceans Adventure room for kids similar to the teen room, our grandson isn't a group joiner but enjoys Disney because there is space for individual fun, whether it is a small movie screen, board games, cards or interactive games, or even a small indoor area for occasional basketball, things that you don't all have to do with one whole group.  Other than that he much prefers RCCL.

A makeover area for women, although there may be such a thing in the spa.  Or in our city the fluff/blow bars are popular and I have to admit there has been many an excursion where i wouldn't have minded just relaxing after an excursion and having my hair washed and dried in time for dinner.  They could be especially busy on formal nights.  I never have all the hair things in my luggage that are so convenient at home.  This may also already exist and I just didn't know. 

CC is Huge, I bet you guys could come out with some real awesome ideas, you can easily out do mine, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.  Maybe an interactive game they can do around the ship- Great Wolf lodge has an impressive one in their hotels as does the Disney Fantasy and Dream.

I just want to add, we just got off the Symphony a couple weeks ago and it was the most incredible cruise we have ever taken.  I really, really wished I could just stay onboard another week and our 9 yr old had the best time of his life (his 13th cruise, ours over 40).  So RCCL never fails to impress me and although we have tried 9 other lines over the decades, we now sail on RCCL more than all the rest combined.  How they will outdo the Oasis class with an Icon class is a true challenge, but I know they will WOW us yet again.   Let's make it interesting while we wait :0)

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Bring back the Viking crown lounge 

But there will be endless chants here of "but it does not make enough $$$$+, how will the stockholder's service, what about the stock price, managements sole job is to please investors, right?

On 2/14/2018 at 5:58 PM, soremekun said:

Promenade instead of Esplanade.

I hope this is true.  The Promenade is a RCL feature that we've fallen in love with for a number of reasons:

• Sense of a large space inside of a ship
  • Easy navigation around the ship
  • One location and hub for events (dance parties, parades, sales), bars, stores, etc...

Dan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Bring back the Viking crown lounge 

They'd probably just sub-divide the VCL into tiny, almost useless  sections to accommodate:  Suite Lounge, the Pinnacle Lounge, the Diamond Lounge, the Diamond+ Lounge, The Key Lounge, Coastal Kitchen, etc

On 3/8/2019 at 3:31 AM, gkbiiii said:

But there will be endless chants here of "but it does not make enough $$$$+, how will the stockholder's service, what about the stock price, managements sole job is to please investors, right?

They will bring Crown Lounge back to all ships but of course will have 50 new Cabins in it...

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 3:02 PM, Captain Billy Bob said:

Can we have it home port in Cape Liberty?

On 3/7/2019 at 3:09 PM, soremekun said:

My vote is for Boston, but we both have our bias.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:16 PM, Captain Billy Bob said:

This is where Florida jumps in and tells us they need the latest ship because  not enough ships are based down there.

Well... not speaking out of a Florida bias but I'm guessing that Port Canaveral will be in contention because they are building out the infrastructure for homeporting the Carnival Mardi Gras there. Granted, I don't know much about Cape Liberty or Boston but I don't know if they'll have the ability to fuel an LNG ship. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tahqa said:

Well... not speaking out of a Florida bias but I'm guessing that Port Canaveral will be in contention because they are building out the infrastructure for homeporting the Carnival Mardi Gras there. Granted, I don't know much about Cape Liberty or Boston but I don't know if they'll have the ability to fuel an LNG ship. 🤷‍♂️

I could be wrong about this but I believe Icon class is going to be an all weather ship similar to Quantum class. As far as refueling LNG bunkering is probably not much different than any other fuel it will just be delivered on a barge designed to carry LNG. Maybe someone who knows all about ships can help us out with that. Boston does have an LNG terminal. Don't know about NJ.

1 hour ago, Captain Billy Bob said:

I could be wrong about this but I believe Icon class is going to be an all weather ship similar to Quantum class. As far as refueling LNG bunkering is probably not much different than any other fuel it will just be delivered on a barge designed to carry LNG. Maybe someone who knows all about ships can help us out with that. Boston does have an LNG terminal. Don't know about NJ.

According to this article from last December the only port on the East Coast with LNG fueling capabilities is Jacksonville -- https://www.ship-technology.com/features/lng-bunkering-facilities-around-the-world/. Well, Montreal also, but I was looking at American ports.

And in 2020 Port Canaveral will join the list.

As for Boston, it appears that the LNG bunker there is a receiving bunker and not necessarily for fueling ships. And in Boston they take extreme precautions in regards to that bunker -- "U.S. officials have historically treated LNG with extreme caution in U.S. ports. When an LNG carrier[1] comes into Boston Harbor, for example, for deliveries to an LNG receiving terminal in the port, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) instates a safety zone around the vessel; as such, there may be no cross traffic and no outgoing channel movements while the LNG vessel is inbound. The LNG carrier is accompanied by armed USCG and police vessels" -- https://stillwaterassociates.com/lng-bunkering-in-u-s-ports-change-is-coming/

There are LNG bunker barges but as of right now it appears that Jax is the only port with those.

I'm not saying that Cape Liberty or Boston are out of the running (though closing the Verrazano Narrows Bridge everytime an LNG ship goes under is probably a non-starter), but it appears that ports that have already declared an intention to fuel LNG ships probably have a head start.

If can't get  into Bermuda and can't refuel at Cape Liberty then it must be going somewhere else. :classic_sad: Asia probably.

Jacksonville is driveable from NJ so there is that possibility:classic_biggrin:

It will still be interesting to see what kind of design they come up with. These new ships are a marvel of engineering.

Edited by Captain Billy Bob
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 6:35 PM, AlanF65 said:

The "mattress" $39 a day for a mattress firmness of you choice, can change every day, add $10 for premium linens.

Communal showers, pay showers.

On our Indy cruise last week I would have paid a good price for anything softer lol - that bed was ROUGH!

42 minutes ago, tahqa said:

According to this article from last December the only port on the East Coast with LNG fueling capabilities is Jacksonville -- https://www.ship-technology.com/features/lng-bunkering-facilities-around-the-world/. Well, Montreal also, but I was looking at American ports.

And in 2020 Port Canaveral will join the list.

As for Boston, it appears that the LNG bunker there is a receiving bunker and not necessarily for fueling ships. And in Boston they take extreme precautions in regards to that bunker -- "U.S. officials have historically treated LNG with extreme caution in U.S. ports. When an LNG carrier[1] comes into Boston Harbor, for example, for deliveries to an LNG receiving terminal in the port, the United States Coast Guard (USCG) instates a safety zone around the vessel; as such, there may be no cross traffic and no outgoing channel movements while the LNG vessel is inbound. The LNG carrier is accompanied by armed USCG and police vessels" -- https://stillwaterassociates.com/lng-bunkering-in-u-s-ports-change-is-coming/

There are LNG bunker barges but as of right now it appears that Jax is the only port with those.

I'm not saying that Cape Liberty or Boston are out of the running (though closing the Verrazano Narrows Bridge everytime an LNG ship goes under is probably a non-starter), but it appears that ports that have already declared an intention to fuel LNG ships probably have a head start.

PC will use barges. They will come down from Savanna.  PC will also use LNG for the space program.  We are very used to handling very cold liquid fuel. The Jacksonville fuel is dedicated to cargo vessels