Project Icon Class

20 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Daughter on 9nite Cruise in June Celebrating her 10th Anniversary, she's considering going Wonderland. Haven't myself, what's your opinion?

We absolutely LOVED Wonderland. I actually didn't want to do it, I thought it was gimmicky and weird but I think they ran a special on the first night on our Anthem cruise so we decided to try it. We have a 5 year old son too. It turned out to be SO much fun. It was just a fun and interesting experience. We loved the food as well as it being fun. It was a really nice way to start our cruise, so much so that on our next Anthem cruise in Sept. I want to start the cruise the same way, in Wonderland. 

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Daughter on 9nite Cruise in June Celebrating her 10th Anniversary, she's considering going Wonderland. Haven't myself, what's your opinion?

Dissapointed on Harmony. We had a bad waiter. The fish is decent. Chocolate ball is fun.

10 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

Unfortunately I think/fear that RCI will put the "infinity verandas" from Celebrity Edge on Icon class.  

What about them is bad? I have only seen pictures and thought they looked nice.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, soremekun said:

Everything the Quantum class has plus water slides.

Promenade instead of Esplanade.

All I can say about this is the Navigator was such a pain in the ass in dry dock it was stated more than once she will be the ONLY ship to have that slide in the fleet. We'll see if they stick with that or not.

9 hours ago, SakeDad said:

All I can say about this is the Navigator was such a pain in the ass in dry dock it was stated more than once she will be the ONLY ship to have that slide in the fleet. We'll see if they stick with that or not.

Interesting.  What source did these comments come from?  That's the first I've heard that. 

The slide still isn't operating (as far as we know as of today, 3-13-19), but that isn't the first time on a RCCL ship (Tidal Wave on the LOS).  

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

Unfortunately I think/fear that RCI will put the "infinity verandas" from Celebrity Edge on Icon class.  

Actually after sailing Edge recently and previously Anthem, Edge shares a lot of features with Quantum Class.  I doubt RCCL will go to Infinite Verandas on one of their new ship classes after the mixed-to-negative overall feedback about the IV's on Edge.  The IV's will also be on Apex.  I guess time will tell.

13 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

What about them is bad? I have only seen pictures and thought they looked nice.

My problem is that the infinite veranda is just a big window that opens, not a real balcony.  Yes it looks cool and gives you more room in the cabin but you no longer have your own outdoor space.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  

8 minutes ago, MacMarauder said:

My problem is that the infinite veranda is just a big window that opens, not a real balcony.  Yes it looks cool and gives you more room in the cabin but you no longer have your own outdoor space.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  

It's more boxed in looking for sure, even with the window open, but there are some major benefits (for me) as well.  I would prefer it to a typical balcony.  I haven't been on the X discussion board in a while and I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death by now, with both sides loudly making their case.  :)

Dan

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

Ok I understand. I think I would like it better, but I guess I can not be sure until I try it. 

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Ok I understand. I think I would like it better, but I guess I can not be sure until I try it. 

Pretty sure I'd prefer it. I mean it can't be worse than a cove balcony like Adventure

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pretty sure I'd prefer it. I mean it can't be worse than a cove balcony like Adventure

I prefer the cove balconies as they provide much more privacy and protection regarding smoke, noise and views from left and right.

• Like 1

I just got off the Symphony. I realize this is not a new design as ships go, but what a pleasure to have a full balcony with recliners, foot stools, and enough room to stretch out on our standard balcony. I haven't been on a Quantum clas ship, so I don't know about the balconies, but I would hope the Icon Class would be like the Symphony. A big difference from the newer ships of Princess, NCL, and MSC, where the balcony depth is about half of what we had on the Symphony. We were on all those lines so I can compare.

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I feel like we'd like it too, but not sure when I'll be trying it.  I will say our balcony on Indy felt much more spacious than our balcony on our last cruise on Carnival - I forget how much I enjoy feeling like I can move around on the balcony.  

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cws said:

Richard Fain says in this 2-month-old L.A. Times article that there will be Infinite Veranda staterooms on a new Royal Caribbean ship:

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-cruise-edge-20190127-story.html

Given the negative feedback from Edge-cruisers, how much you wanna bet Royal Caribbean is busy redesigning the Icon-class to remove the Infinite Verandas?

Honestly, the IV’s feel like the worst cabin design blunder since the Nor. Epic’s split bathroom design. When you get past the hype, Infinite Verandas (Like Epic’s odd bathrooms) were an attempt to reduce overall cabin size in order to fit more cabins. It was a cost saving decision, not a brilliant design innovation passengers would love and pay a premium for. I’m just surprised the IV design was first attempted by a premium like like Celebrity. I would have expected it first from NCL or Carnival or some Asian start-up. I suspect RCI/Celebrity is working overtime to determine how to reduce the number of IVs on Epic III and IV (Opus and Luxe), as well as the Icon-class. It was a rare misstep after decades of design innovation wins for the company. 

On 3/12/2019 at 2:04 PM, Captain Billy Bob said:

I've never seen more than a few people there and there is usually a bartender standing there to assist the robot in making the drinks.🙄 I think some groups also use it s a meeting place. A hugh waste of space.

Totally agree. Just returned from Anthem. The Bionic Bar was usually empty. The two times I tried to order a drink there the system didn’t work. And watching the human attendant use a mop to clean up the liquid on the “bar” spilled by the robots wasn’t very appetizing. Dumb gimmick and waste of prime space onboard. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 1:13 AM, Chiliburn said:

Bring back the Viking crown lounge 

I read somewhere that RCI had the original VCL removed from the funnel of Song of Norway before the ship was sold and stored. If that’s true, I’d LOVE to see them incorporate that original lounge into the design of the first Icon-class ship as a tribute to the line’s first ship. Maybe make it into a small museum with RCI memorabilia.

Carnival is honoring their original ship by naming their first LNG newbuild “Mardi Gras.” Maybe Royal Caribbean should go nostalgic and name their first Icon-class ship “Song of the Seas” to honor Song of Norway. 

28 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

Given the negative feedback from Edge-cruisers, how much you wanna bet Royal Caribbean is busy redesigning the Icon-class to remove the Infinite Verandas?

Honestly, the IV’s feel like the worst cabin design blunder since the Nor. Epic’s split bathroom design. When you get past the hype, Infinite Verandas (Like Epic’s odd bathrooms) were an attempt to reduce overall cabin size in order to fit more cabins. It was a cost saving decision, not a brilliant design innovation passengers would love and pay a premium for. I’m just surprised the IV design was first attempted by a premium like like Celebrity. I would have expected it first from NCL or Carnival or some Asian start-up. I suspect RCI/Celebrity is working overtime to determine how to reduce the number of IVs on Epic III and IV (Opus and Luxe), as well as the Icon-class. It was a rare misstep after decades of design innovation wins for the company. 

I still cannot grasp this. It is more private, more interior cabin space to use as you wish. I have not experienced these, but I just cannot grasp that they are a blunder of any kind. Every since I saw them announced, I have thought they were great. I would actually pay for a balcony if RCI had these. 

9 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I still cannot grasp this. It is more private, more interior cabin space to use as you wish. I have not experienced these, but I just cannot grasp that they are a blunder of any kind. Every since I saw them announced, I have thought they were great. I would actually pay for a balcony if RCI had these. 

I too really like the looks of IVs but what concerns me is seems like they are frequently locked by the captain, during sail aways, under slightly bad weather, etc etc.  

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn Bridget said:

I too really like the looks of IVs but what concerns me is seems like they are frequently locked by the captain, during sail aways, under slightly bad weather, etc etc.  

I didn't even know that was an option. I would not like it lock during sail away.