Not a happy camper on FOS & C&A coupons

I have always asked them to use the coupon. Some people do not want them used automatically. This was a way to make almost everyone happy.

I've never had mine automatically applied, but in the past the bartender or other crew member would ask me if I wanted to use the applicable coupon. Honestly sometimes I forget some of the discounts/freebies I get (my fault, I know).

I have had inconsistent results. Sometimes they automatically apply it, sometimes they need me to tell them. Sometimes it varies on the same ship on the same cruise at different bars. No biggie, and GS can fix it, just something to be aware of.

No guesswork when they had a paper coupon ;) .

mac_tlc

Keep in mind, if they used the coupons automatically, there would be a different set of people that would be upset. Let's say I want use a buy one get one free on two expensive glasses of wine for my anniversary on day 3. But when I try, I'm upset to find that the bartender already used my coupon on the two cheap drinks I ordered right after boarding on day one. So which policy is better - automatically using discounts or waiting for the customer to ask?
This!

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

I would much rather have to let the server know to use a coupon than to have them do it automatically. It would be nice if they asked but if I can't depend on them to ask me then I would much rather that I let them know when to apply it instead of them deciding.

Agree.

When things change folks should be told. That’s about all I was saying. This in #32 with royal.

Maybe take your money elsewhere? I'm not a big cruiser, but I fly for a living, and if an airline pisses me off enough, I take my (well, my company) money to another airline. They're mostly all the same...and cruiseines are no different. Why continue giving money to a company you clearly dislike?

Maybe take your money elsewhere? I'm not a big cruiser, but I fly for a living, and if an airline pisses me off enough, I take my (well, my company) money to another airline. They're mostly all the same...and cruiseines are no different. Why continue giving money to a company you clearly dislike?

Ding ding ding! And that's why the cruise lines continue service cutbacks. They can screw their customers and their customers will keep coming back for more. The one-sided loyalty is an interesting phenomenon.

It had been this way for several years on every Royal ship we have sailed on....

Hmmm... they've automatically used our coupons on all of the ships we've been on, since they've went to paperless? Sometimes they mention the coupon before using it, other times they just use it without saying anything... We've never had to ask before using one. Note, we've never used a drink coupon, we've just used the other coupons...

We board in 4 weeks on Liberty. We are Platinum. Will there be a list of C & A coupons in our stateroom so we know what coupons we are getting? Or better yet could somebody post them here?

We board in 4 weeks on Liberty. We are Platinum. Will there be a list of C & A coupons in our stateroom so we know what coupons we are getting? Or better yet could somebody post them here?

Yes, there will be a list in your stateroom. If the website ever starts to work properly again they are also listed there under the C&A section.

It had been this way for several years on every Royal ship we have sailed on....

Since the introduction, I've never had a problem getting the benefits applied automatically. The only benefit that I have to tell them is the specialty coffee in the specialty restaurant. If not applied, you will get a receipt with a charge to sign and at that point I re-iterate the C&A benefits due based on tier.

Having to specify when you want to use the discount is a good thing. Otherwise if you get an inexpensive glass of wine the first day, that gets the coupon, and then when you go for a $40 glass of wine you have no coupon to apply to it. And so forth.

Also keep in mind the three drink vouchers are not for all drinks. They have to be the same ones they serve in the lounge, AND during the same hours.

I don't have a problem handing my card to the bartender or waiter when we use our vouchers with a simple reminder I am using my drink voucher. Never gave it a second thought.

And...I tip them in cash...rather than on the charge slip. Sometimes they don't even run the card when they serve. I want to be sure they get their tip.

OP the last time I was on Royal Caribbean I got a paper in my stateroom stating all the C&A Discounts. The directions specifically said that you have to inform the venue before you use the discount. For instance I would like to use the BOGO Beer and Wine benefit. It worked flawlessly!

It works like Starbucks Rewards. When I want to use my Free Drink Coupon or Birthday Reward I just tell the Barista my order and by the way can you please apply the Free Drink Reward. You have to inform them you want to use the reward if not then the award is not applied.

The POS system onboard has a Coupon Code and a list of available coupons should populate on the POS and the cashier will apply for instance the 10% off the photo package or whatever applies to that venue.

For accounting purposes you are charged the full amount and then the discount is applied and then you are charged the discounted price.

Yes you could ask for the discount after the fact but it may take time for it to reflect your onboard account hence why they want you to ask them to apply the discount at the time of purchase.

Its so easy as its electronic and you just have to remember as I do to bring the discount sheet with you and mark it off as each discount has been applied or leave it in your stateroom and mark off each discount. after its been used. So much better than losing the paper coupons.

Edited by travelplus

Just making people aware, not complaining , stating a fact. When things change people should be notified, just stating facts

Kind of changed a couple of years ago, and when it was paper, you had to remember to hand the paper to the cashier. Now, you need to tell the cashier, you have an e-coupon. When I go to the grocery stores, I hand over coupons. Sometimes at a restaurant I have an e-coupon, and they scan that. Basically, what is the issue, since nothing changed, and everything is being handled, like everyplace else.

The one-sided loyalty is an interesting phenomenon.

I did a research project in grad school about travel loyalty schemes (because I travel for work and was super loyal to airline, hotel, and car rental companies) and it was interesting to see that the "perks" that come from loyalty are generally not worth the money spent. For example, in many cases, the things you get for your loyalty can be purchased anyways (free upgrades, free meals and drinks, etc.) and the total cost is less than the cost of being loyal to that one company over a lifetime (because, generally, people are willing to pay a little bit more to use the same travel provider because of what they get from loyalty).

It's different, to an extent, with business travel, because you're generally not paying for it personally (which is why I am still fairly loyal to an airline, a hotel chain, and a car rental company), but on leisure travel...I'm not loyal in the slightest. They don't give a darn about me, in reality.

. The one-sided loyalty is an interesting phenomenon.

...I'm not loyal in the slightest. They don't give a darn about me, in reality.

Not so much airlines but cruise lines are incredibly good, or at least they used to be, at creating the illusion that you are the most important person in the world to have ever been aboard one of their ships and when you step back aboard the ship it is as if you are returning home. To an extent I think it is partially their fault that they end up with customers who complain about issues. Their marketing is so good at creating this illusion that some of the people who fall for it end up being disappointed when the cruise line falls short. People really need to remember, and this does not apply to the ships' crews, but as far as corporate is concerned we are all C&A numbers that just happen to own credit cards. And if people would just keep that perspective in mind maybe they would not take it so hard when the cruise line falls short of expectations. They might also rethink this concept of loyalty to a company.

I did a research project in grad school about travel loyalty schemes (because I travel for work and was super loyal to airline, hotel, and car rental companies) and it was interesting to see that the "perks" that come from loyalty are generally not worth the money spent. For example, in many cases, the things you get for your loyalty can be purchased anyways (free upgrades, free meals and drinks, etc.) and the total cost is less than the cost of being loyal to that one company over a lifetime (because, generally, people are willing to pay a little bit more to use the same travel provider because of what they get from loyalty).

It's different, to an extent, with business travel, because you're generally not paying for it personally (which is why I am still fairly loyal to an airline, a hotel chain, and a car rental company), but on leisure travel...I'm not loyal in the slightest. They don't give a darn about me, in reality.

Makes perfect sense. Businesses aren't in business to give away free stuff. At the end of the day, the customer always pays one way or another.

Not so much airlines

Oh, airlines do a very, very good job too. With my frequent flier status, I get upgraded the majority of the time, I can change my flight seemingly on a whim, I get business or even first class lounge access even when flying economy, etc. etc. They give a very good illusion to their top-tier frequent fliers. But when push comes to shove, if there's an airline that is going to give me a better product or a more efficient route, I'll take it...loyalty or not.