Travel Insurance recommendations

TroubleT

Would you please recommend a good travel insurance?

I know I can google it but I need insurance that someonebought, unfortunately had to use and it was hassle free process.

I am covered during my cruise, but I am staying in BuenosAires for 6 more days and would like to have something for that period.

Thanks!

I know I can google it but I need insurance that someonebought, unfortunately had to use and it was hassle free process.

I am covered during my cruise, but I am staying in BuenosAires for 6 more days and would like to have something for that period.

Thanks!

I travel frequently and only interested in covering medical and evacuation. I have an annual policy with GeoBlu. Has worked well. Only you know what you want so check insuremytrip.com for policies.

We had to use the cruise protection plan that Celebrity offered through AON. They emailed a link to the forms that had to be filled out, including a two page form for the doctor. They were simple to fill out and we had our refund within 30 days, although they have 60 days to respond.

You are smart to shop around

As a general rule of thumb, you will get the best value, coverage and flexibility from a third person policy (not the cruise lines). Check insuremytip and squaremouth. You will be able to compare policies and find the one that best meets your needs and budget.

For us, medical evacuation was of the upmost importance. Although many policies offer this, almost all will only cover your evacuation to the closest qualified facility (no matter what country you are in). They determine that. You may find yourself in a foreign country with no means to transfer to a hospital in the USA. We purchased an annual policy from a MedJet Assist, which will fly us home, to the facility of our choosing, if or when we are stable enough.

We have a credit card that we use to book all travel. The card covers trip cancellation, delays, lost baggage, etc., so we feel no need for additional insurance.

We use Allianze. Recently had to cancel a trip for medical reasons. I uploaded all of the requested documents and they direct deposited our refund into our bank within 7 business days. Couldn’t have been any easier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it's always best to speak to a live professional so they can help determine the best policy for your specific needs for each trip. We have always used The Trip Insurance Store...Steve or one of his associates are just amazing and couldn't be more helpful.

Check out their website and then call them.

http://www.thetripinsurancestore.com

(888) 407-3854

I travel frequently and only interested in covering medical and evacuation. I have an annual policy with GeoBlu. Has worked well. Only you know what you want so check insuremytrip.com for policies.

Absolutely perfect advice.

If you have insurance that covers you on your cruise...check with that company and see if you can change the start day of the policy to cover your pre-cruise week. Most will do that without charge....and you will be covered for medical, etc.

Read policies to know what you are buying.

Most policies, Geo Blue included, do not guarantee they will get you home, only to the nearest facility that is qualified to treat your illness.

https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/marketing/article-medicalevacuation101.com

Med Jet Assist gives you the power to choose to be repatriated to a facility near your home if you are stable to travel. Huge difference to us. We do not want to stay in a foreign country if there was a medical emergency.

Only you can decide what is best for you but be informed about the coverage you are buying.

I recently read all the details about the insurance purchased through Celebrity. I don't think it is adequate in several ways. The coverage for medical is very low ($10,000). Emergency evacuation is only covered for $25,000 and will only get you to the nearest "suitable" hospital. The medical evacuation is subject to the approval of the insurance company's Program Medical Advisors. The medical insurance is secondary, so you would have to file with your own insurance first before they would pay anything.

Carolyn

I recently read all the details about the insurance purchased through Celebrity. I don't think it is adequate in several ways. The coverage for medical is very low ($10,000). Emergency evacuation is only covered for $25,000 and will only get you to the nearest "suitable" hospital. The medical evacuation is subject to the approval of the insurance company's Program Medical Advisors. The medical insurance is secondary, so you would have to file with your own insurance first before they would pay anything.

Carolyn

to be fair, this isn't just Celebrity's insurance. It pretty much applies to all cruise lines and other travel provider insurance offers. Useless.

Our TA always recommends Allianz (sp?), so that is what we get. As an experienced traveler himself, he said it offers a broad coverage at a reasonable cost. The cost has always seemed reasonable to us.

We have been using Insuremytrip dot com for years and no complaints. Like being able to compare insurance co.

We do as well. The Chase Saphire Reserve and Bank of America Premium credit cards have trip insurance included, so long as you pay 100% with them. They won't cover the pre/post cruise activity, but not a bad backup.

I think it's always best to speak to a live professional so they can help determine the best policy for your specific needs for each trip. We have always used The Trip Insurance Store...Steve or one of his associates are just amazing and couldn't be more helpful.

Check out their website and then call them.

www.thetripinsurancestore.com

(888) 407-3854

DITTO this recommendation. Have used them for years!

I would also like to second the Travel Guard Gold policy because it is one of the few policies that also automatically includes cancellation due to work reasons. I realize that won’t matter to many, but if you are working it is great since most other plans include it as an add option. I also like that if you purchase your trip insurance within 15 days of your deposit they upgrade your medical to primary and up some of your other amounts as well. With all this included we have found their prices to be the most reasonable when comparing plans.

We have had to file two claims with them over the years. One was medical and the other was using the cancel due to work option. Both times it was minimal hassle to get the appropriate paper work to them and they reimbursed us quickly.

I would also like to second the Travel Guard Gold policy because it is one of the few policies that also automatically includes cancellation due to work reasons. I realize that won’t matter to many, but if you are working it is great since most other plans include it as an add option. I also like that if you purchase your trip insurance within 15 days of your deposit they upgrade your medical to primary and up some of your other amounts as well. With all this included we have found their prices to be the most reasonable when comparing plans.

We have had to file two claims with them over the years. One was medical and the other was using the cancel due to work option. Both times it was minimal hassle to get the appropriate paper work to them and they reimbursed us quickly.

This is very helpful. I’ve had to add the “cancel for work” clause to our Allianz policies. The medical insurance point is also of interest, and it’s nice to know they’ll pay claims promptly. Thank you!

This is very helpful. I’ve had to add the “cancel for work” clause to our Allianz policies. The medical insurance point is also of interest, and it’s nice to know they’ll pay claims promptly. Thank you!

Glad I could be of help! Some friends we met cruising years ago told me about it and I've been so thankful to them ever since. Just as an FYI to get the cancel for work included you need to buy the gold or platinum plan. It is not offered as part of the sliver plan.

The medical insurance is secondary if you don't purchase it within 15 days of making your deposit which is why we just buy it right away. They will allow you to change the destination/dates once so we have never really had any problem if we changed something after the fact. I personally prefer the medical insurance to be primary just because it means I can just go through one source if something happens. Again, I've always had great interactions with their agents over the years and have found them to be extremely helpful.

Glad I could be of help! Some friends we met cruising years ago told me about it and I've been so thankful to them ever since. Just as an FYI to get the cancel for work included you need to buy the gold or platinum plan. It is not offered as part of the sliver plan.

The medical insurance is secondary if you don't purchase it within 15 days of making your deposit which is why we just buy it right away. They will allow you to change the destination/dates once so we have never really had any problem if we changed something after the fact. I personally prefer the medical insurance to be primary just because it means I can just go through one source if something happens. Again, I've always had great interactions with their agents over the years and have found them to be extremely helpful.

Thank you for the FYI. I’ve been purchasing Allianz policies within 14 days of deposit for the cancel for work, so that works for me:).