Cruising Ducks --- anyone else aware of this?!?!?!

6 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

Can't wait for the next norovirus outbreak to be traced back to these things. Maybe it would be a good idea to attach a little packet of hand sanitizer to each duck instead of a tag?

Thats a GREAT idea!!

4 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Did I really just read a post saying they're going to take 50-75 of these things on to a ship and hide them?  Seriously?  

Its a JOKE for gods sake.  Im taking some but I didnt pay all this money to spend my time hiding that many ducks.  

13 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

Can't wait for the next norovirus outbreak to be traced back to these things. Maybe it would be a good idea to attach a little packet of hand sanitizer to each duck instead of a tag?

I guess you don't know that hand sanitizer does NOTHING again noro?

And you are that worried about germs on the ducks, DON'T TOUCH THEM.  Don't even look for them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

It is still littering, no matter how sanitary the objects are. You can rationalize it all you want by calling it "cute" or "fun", but leaving items all over private property without permission is littering. Some of us are old enough to have been raised in an era where we were taught to respect other people's property and to not dump junk all over it. Being one of those respectful people, I find this ridiculous "duck" fad disturbing. Clearly some people feel much more entitled than I do.  

You have used the word entitled in two posts.  Do you really think that people just trying to spread a little joy and have some fun are people that sound entitled? 

You have also compared leaving the ducks to finding used coffee cups among the Central Park plants. Are you perhaps exaggerating, or do you honestly put the people having fun with the ducks in the same category as people who carelessly leave behind trash expecting someone to clean up their garbage? I don’t. One of these groups is thoughtless and one is trying to be thoughtful and put a smile on the face of a future cruiser.

Those of you worried about germs certainly aren’t expected to pick up the rare duck you might spot. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, SRF said:

That's not exactly true.... it's recommended to wash with soap and water, and there is nothing to guarantee that hand sanitizer will kill the norovirus, but if your options are to do nothing or to use sanitizer, the recommendation is to use sanitizer.  

Hand sanitizer is not as effective against norovirus as proper hand-washing, but that is not the same as being completely ineffective (or "doing NOTHING") against norovirus.  

On 6/19/2019 at 4:53 PM, spencersquad said:

But this thread is about those of us who litter on ships as you call it.  I am just curious as to why you follow this particular thread if you dont enjoy or find fun in the whole duck thing.  I am not trying to be mean, I am seriously curious.  I make a post about what this thread is about and I get attacked by people who dont like the cruising ducks idea.  So why are you guys even on this thread.  It would be like me going on a naked beach thread and saying I dont think people should be naked on a beach.  Again, not being mean, trying to figure it out.  

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend that he just doesn't see"  Bob Dylan

14 hours ago, SRF said:

And you are that worried about germs on the ducks, DON'T TOUCH THEM.  Don't even look for them.

The better solution is to put on a pair of rubber gloves and dispose of every duck you find. Hmmm... maybe I'll do that on my next cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

That's not exactly true.... it's recommended to wash with soap and water, and there is nothing to guarantee that hand sanitizer will kill the norovirus, but if your options are to do nothing or to use sanitizer, the recommendation is to use sanitizer.  

Hand sanitizer is not as effective against norovirus as proper hand-washing, but that is not the same as being completely ineffective (or "doing NOTHING") against norovirus.  

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/really-the-claim-hand-sanitizer-stops-norovirus-spread/

"But against norovirus, the severe gastrointestinal illness gripping many parts of the country, they may be useless."

"Some viruses, like influenza, are coated in lipids, “envelopes” that alcohol can rupture. But non-enveloped viruses, like norovirus, are generally not affected."

"THE BOTTOM LINE

Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water."

Hand sanitizers only work on noro by removing them, like washing does.  They do not kill or inactivate them.  So you need to use a bunch of sanitizer and wipe it off with a clean towel.

I hid 2 ducks a day on my cruise on the Anthem. It was fun looking for interesting places to hide them. It was awesome seeing the smiling faces of the children and adults who found them. It is about bringing smiles to people, so those of us who like to make other people happy will hide ducks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like the idea of the ducks.  I will look for them when we sail with the grandkids in Dec. At the risk of being flamed I can see hiding a dozen or so but the other day someone posted they were hiding 150, that's excessive. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 PM, Sizzlechest said:

The better solution is to put on a pair of rubber gloves and dispose of every duck you find. Hmmm... maybe I'll do that on my next cruise.

Hey, The Grinch decided to make an appearance on CC!

Edited by PlanetX

• 4 weeks later...

so, touching every rail, slot machine,  silverware, anything is sanitary? c'mon ya'll.  on a cruise, have fun or don't involve.  can't believe you are even questioning.  gonna eat the duck, might be an issue,  lol. 

6 hours ago, little britain said:

I’m trying to find the gnome on Oasis.. it’s in CP somewhere...

It was until someone decided to take it.  Note it was only one gnome not multiple like the ducks.

i saw on another board that one person found 12 ducks during their cruise.  It looks to me that this duck thing is getting out of hand.

11 hours ago, finsfamily said:

so, touching every rail, slot machine,  silverware, anything is sanitary? c'mon ya'll.  on a cruise, have fun or don't involve.  can't believe you are even questioning.  gonna eat the duck, might be an issue,  lol. 

This ^^^^^

I am regularly bemused by how "germophobic" some people are. I have read of people saying the first thing they do on entering their cabin for the first time is to wipe every surface down with antiseptic wipes. Really ??? After 15 or so cruises, l have never done so, AND never been ill. Now its "don't touch the hidden rubber ducks, you'll get norovirus".

Sheesh.

(Theres a TV advert over here in the UK which says "dirt is good". You cannot sanitise the world)

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo
  • Like 2

Definitely hiding a couple on Mariner in October. I participated in a similar game when Pokemon Go got big, we crocheted little pokemon toys and left them in places where Pokemon players congregated. I worked across the street from a park and got to see a bunch of kids get really excited when they found the toys. Gonna crochet them this time around too! 😊

• 1 month later...

So the latest trend is to hide the little stowaways around the ship (not in the stores) with a note attached around neck of each indicating ship name, where he originated, cruisers family name and date "set sail". If you find one you choose to keep him or rehide for another happy cruiser to find. Anthem of the Seas..watch for the quackers on the Oct 19-24 sailing.