Theft from Cabin Safes?

I would like to know about others experiences with theft from their cabin safes. After an extremely lovely cruise on Allure (review to come), the theft of money and medications from our cabin safe while on Labadee, left a bad taste in our mouth. Much worsened by the way security handled the situation, and kept changing their instructions to us and their poor follow up. Worsened by fact that we had requested the safe be replaced multiple times during the cruise due to problems with locking it and having to call staff to assist in this. So we return from Labadee to a closet and safe wide open and alarm in bathroom blaring. Both closet and safe had been closed when left. Honestly, if not concerned for those who would cruise after us, I would not have even reported the theft since knew would not get items back. So when we did reluctantly report out of a sense of responsibility to others, the confusing and changing instructions to us from security and the mess we were put through really was not the way we wanted to top off our trip. Because of this, I would like more info as to how common this is. I wish I had never reported it at all because it would not be doubly upsetting. It would have been just a theft. RCCL will be hearing from me when I can figure the best way to do so.

Sorry about the theft.

But, the issues should have been dealt with whilst you were on the ship. You lost any leverage once you stepped off the gangway. You should have been talking directly with the Hotel Manager and the Captain, not some junior officer from Security. You should have demanded a report of every key card used to access your stateroom that day. More than likely, they fulfilled your request and replaced the safe. Your safe and belonging were probably sitting in a repair shop on the ship. But, junior Sheriff Snuffy could not get around the word "theft" to get to the root cause and resolve your issue.

When we have had safe problems on Allure they would not even enter the cabin unless we were present. And I don't understand the "alarm blaring in the bathroom" part of the post. Normally a problem with locking is just a battery issue. They come in, check the trouble code and replace the battery.

Never had a problem with theft from my room or the safe on any cruise ship. On land and land based hotels...yes! But, never on a ship. What kind of an alarm was blaring from your bathroom?

...the issues should have been dealt with whilst you were on the ship. You lost any leverage once you stepped off the gangway. You should have been talking directly with the Hotel Manager and the Captain, not some junior officer from Security. You should have demanded a report of every key card used to access your stateroom that day....

I am also sorry to hear of the theft. That must have felt incredibly violating. But I agree with the above member; it should have been handled on board ship.

Yes, can you explain the blaring alarm? That lost me too.

On the Allure they have cameras monitoring the hallways, they should have been able to watch the footage to identify anyone who accessed your cabin while you were in Labadee.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Fortunately not happened to me. In similar circumstances, I would have pushed harder to determine how and when the theft took place. The CCTV cameras would have provided some definite answers. Plus you might have got your belongings back. Looks like security weren't that helpful.

Like an above poster, when our safe needed new batteries on our recent cruise, they would not enter the cabin to repair it without one of us there.

So sorry you had this happen---and am also curious about the bathroom alarm---I do hope you return to explain what that was and how it related to the safe.

Having taken more than 100 cruises with Royal Caribbean, we have never had anything stolen from the safe or any other area of the stateroom.

We have had problems with the safe batteries and have called to report that we were unable to lock the safe. As others have said, we had to be present in the room before anyone would enter to change the batteries.

There definitely are ways of tracking and identifying all who have entered the cabin.

The statement about the alarm sounding form the bathroom is odd.

I find the original post most interesting and hope they return to tell us more.

We have had problems with the safe batteries and have called to report that we were unable to lock the safe. As others have said, we had to be present in the room before anyone would enter to change the batteries.

Not only present, but with the door to the room wide open too.

If a theft did occur, I doubt the perpetrators would follow standard procedure nor should you expect Royal to be cooperative. Be prepared to be attacked by the royal defenders on here who feel RC or any of the employees could never do wrong. Much of the skepticism from passengers and RC is because so many folks try to pull one over to get something for nothing. Not suggesting this is you, just telling you why. It seems cameras and electronic lock logs should be of assistance but it may be too late. Good luck in getting to the proper resolution.

You know this, how?

Not all the lock types as used on Allure have logging capability.

I certainly cannot comment on EVERY ship, however after speaking to different security officers on SEVERAL ships, I was lead to believe that this was a consistent practise. (My mother frequently forgets the code, battery failure, code failures etc etc). I undoubtedly could have been misinformed.

Even many years ago my mother had several times of items stolen and security was able to check data to determine it was the cabin steward who took the items and he ultimately admitted to it.