What do you use duct tape for?

You could use it to stick a couple of ducks together :D

There is nothing that duct tape cannot fix -- a broken piece of luggage, torn fabrics, ripped hems, broken shoes -- the list is endless.

Okay, I'll bite: I'm seeing lots of experienced cruisers say they travel with...duct tape! What for? What uses do you find for it? I wonder how to justify the extra 3" it'll take up in my luggage!

As noted, great for fixing hems. Also, patching ripped luggage. Sealing a broken shampoo bottle cap. Lint roller. Bug catcher. Broken toothpaste tube.

Okay, I'll bite: I'm seeing lots of experienced cruisers say they travel with...duct tape! What for? What uses do you find for it? I wonder how to justify the extra 3" it'll take up in my luggage!

Hi

I always bring some...you don't have to bring a whole roll, so it doesn't have to take any space at all. I might wrap it around a pencil, or a bottle that I have in with my toiletries. Just 2 or 3 feet is more than enough.

As far as what you can use it for...it would be the same as what you could use it for at home. It's one of those things that you don't need until you realize could use it. It's also one of those things that they don't sell on the ship.

It's just another thing like a bottle opener/corkscrew, small night light, small sewing kit, etc...I am sure you have read some threads talking about all the things you should bring. Just pick through the things that make the most sense to you.

hope this helps

My first cruise, last night, my cruise companions' suitcase wouldn't close anymore. The room steward fixed it using duct tape.

So if you'd ever think "My vacation is ruined. Why didn't I bring duct tape! Everyone said I should!" ask your room steward.

I never used duct tape for anything

Repairing broken luggage - a gash in the side big enough to let something fall out.

Sealing a lotion bottle cap for the return trip

Fastening cabinet doors and drawers shut in very rough seas to stop them from clanging all night.

Fastening the door between our cabin balcony and the one next door when it came loose and started banging in the middle of the night.

And, for CB at Sea, the maintenance department surely has some but good luck getting them to bring it to your cabin at 2:00am when you need it (or ever!). Similarly, fixing the balcony divider door ourselves was easier than waiting for someone from maintenance to show up in the middle of the night.

I use lime green duct tape to mark my luggage.

I put a short piece of it on all sides and I have no trouble picking out my suitcase anywhere!!! ;p

My husband always says “you might be a redneck if you use duct tape to mark your luggage”.....:')

I am a prepare for anything overpacker type but stop at duct tape.

I suppose it is more useful that various things people take on holiday although I would rather take spare shoes than spare tape I guess. :)

Its different strokes for different folks I think...some people would not consider bringing over the door hangers, water bottles,alarm clocks etc but for others it's essential.

You do not need to bring a big roll.

It is sold in convenient small "blister packs" normally found the the office/school section of WalMart sort of stores. Manco Tape offers it an a variety of colors. :)

I use lime green duct tape to mark my luggage.

I put a short piece of it on all sides and I have no trouble picking out my suitcase anywhere!!! ;p

My husband always says “you might be a redneck if you use duct tape to mark your luggage”.....:')

We used duct tape with peace symbols on it......

Apparently, not many sailors in the above group of posters.

Duct tape leaves a gooey residue, which is extremely hard to remove and can easily damage all sorts of finishes.

If you want to carry something like that for "emergency" repairs, use "gaffer's tape" instead. It's preferred by sailors (when rigging tape won't do the job), entertainment venues, et al. for it's strength, versatility and easy no-mess removal. Most decent hardware stores will carry it.

Also, no need to bring it on a cruise ship. Rather just ask the entertainment folks onboard to give you some.

To seal luggage well enough to get it home.

To place over a bandage to seal a blister on my heel. (Backpackers trick)

To seal a lotion bottle so it doesn't leak.

I don't bring a whole roll. I wind some onto an ink pen that I am going to bring anyway. (Another backpacking trick.)

I prefer gaffer's tape.

It sticks well, but does not leave the residue that duct tape leaves.

You can get it online. It was designed to be used in the theater to tape down cords, or bundle them, etc. And you do not want all your cables to be a sticky mess all the time.

It is so tempting to make a funny comment or two about using it to keep people quiet...but with so many folks having no sense of humor on here I best not. Someone would get their knickers in a twist. :rolleyes:

and i know I'm not the only one to think this either ;)

I prefer gaffer's tape.

It sticks well, but does not leave the residue that duct tape leaves.

You can get it online. It was designed to be used in the theater to tape down cords, or bundle them, etc. And you do not want all your cables to be a sticky mess all the time.

Thanks for the business. I work in a duct tape factory and we also make 510 Gaffer. Got some new colors last year. Keep buying.

Duct tape was the only suggested item I didn't take on my first cruise, and turned out to be the one I needed most.

I use a CPAP machine to sleep, and had to run the extension cord across the cabin from the outlet to my bed. Turned out this is a trip hazard in the middle of the night! And I had to put everything up every morning so the steward wouldn't trip either. Next cruise, I covered the cord completely with duct tape and was able to leave it the entire time. No mess on the carpets, either. I did end up with bits of tape wrapped around the CPAP cord, but it still works just find keeping me alive and all.

(On another note, TruckerDave, you are a naughty, naughty fellow. Report to me next cruise. I have duct tape.)