Frightening experience on morning of debarkation...has this happened to anyone else

redmonne

My friend and I sailed to the Caribbean on the Norwegian Escape this past March. It was a wonderful trip, not one complaint. At about 6:30 AM on debarkation day, I was up and dressed, doing my final packing. My friend had just gotten up when there was a fearfully LOUD banging on our cabin door. I opened it to find 4 or 5 fully armed law enforcement officers (Customs, INS??) telling us sternly to get our papers and get out of the room. In the few seconds it took us both to get our stuff together another couple of officers and a K9 had appeared. They had us stand in the hall while they searched the cabin. We were so stunned, and did ask why but the officers wouldn't say...just that this was routine. It sure didn't feel routine to us. It was actually quite terrifying. One can't help but think that they could have taken us off in handcuffs with us having no clue as to what had prompted this!

I'm certain that they were searching for drugs, but again... why us? We're just run-of-the -mill Kentucky girls, having a great time on a great cruise. No drugs, no contraband. We both smoke, and might have had an occasional cigarette on the balcony late at night (in site of the bridge). Could that have been why they chose our cabin??? We are baffled.

Finally, as we disembarked through customs, she was pulled aside again, and taken to customs for questioning. It turned out that we had been "flagged", and they failed to remove her "flag" after they searched our cabin. That doesn't sound really random to me. Has anyone else had an experience like this, and if so, did you find out why or are you confident that it was one of the random searches?

Has never happened to me and it doesn't sound random. "Flagged" probably means that they suspected drugs. Did you smoke perfumed cigarettes on your balcony and other passengers reported it in the belief that it was an illegal substance? Cigarette smoke travels far and is very annoying.

. We both smoke, and might have had an occasional cigarette on the balcony late at night (in site of the bridge). Could that have been why they chose our cabin??? We are baffled.

Has anyone else had an experience like this, ?

Baffled? Why? No one I know had experience like this because we follow the no smoking rule and respect our cruise neighbours unlike you and your pal. Zero sympathy.

Nothing like that has ever happened to us in 26 years of cruising. Also never have seen that happen on any ship we were on. Sounds very unusual and certainly not "routine". "Flagged" implies to me that they were suspicious of something associated with you or some activity with which you were involved. Highly doubt it was the smoking on the balcony - they simply would have informed you it was against the rules and warned of a possible cleaning charge for the violation. Unless they didn't think it was cigarettes.....

Baffled? Why? No one I know had experience like this because we follow the no smoking rule and respect our cruise neighbours unlike you and your pal. Zero sympathy.

Really doubt it had anything to do with their smoking on their balcony - unless, as mentioned previously, someone suspected they were not smoking cigarettes.

That is very frightening but does not sound random.

It seems they were looking for something or someone specififc. But who knows

Unless t here was an outstanding warrran t, who knows why it happened.

Did you hear any chatter during the cruise of something of value missing? suspected to be stolen ?

Have ei ther of you left the country and re-entered since? If so, was there any hint of an issue?

In what city did you disembark? Miami?

Th e badges on their uniforms indicate to which law en forcement Department or Agency they belong.

Most h ave insignias on the shoulder of their shirt or jacket.

Edited by sail7seas

My friend and I sailed to the Caribbean on the Norwegian Escape this past March. It was a wonderful trip, not one complaint. At about 6:30 AM on debarkation day, I was up and dressed, doing my final packing. My friend had just gotten up when there was a fearfully LOUD banging on our cabin door. I opened it to find 4 or 5 fully armed law enforcement officers (Customs, INS??) telling us sternly to get our papers and get out of the room. In the few seconds it took us both to get our stuff together another couple of officers and a K9 had appeared. They had us stand in the hall while they searched the cabin. We were so stunned, and did ask why but the officers wouldn't say...just that this was routine. It sure didn't feel routine to us. It was actually quite terrifying. One can't help but think that they could have taken us off in handcuffs with us having no clue as to what had prompted this!

I'm certain that they were searching for drugs, but again... why us? We're just run-of-the -mill Kentucky girls, having a great time on a great cruise. No drugs, no contraband. We both smoke, and might have had an occasional cigarette on the balcony late at night (in site of the bridge). Could that have been why they chose our cabin??? We are baffled.

Finally, as we disembarked through customs, she was pulled aside again, and taken to customs for questioning. It turned out that we had been "flagged", and they failed to remove her "flag" after they searched our cabin. That doesn't sound really random to me. Has anyone else had an experience like this, and if so, did you find out why or are you confident that it was one of the random searches?

Next time, don't break the rules by smoking (anything) on the balcony.

A possible scenario?

You were smoking cigarettes on the balcony.

That annoyed your neighbours.

They could report your cigarette smoking to ship's security but what better retaliation (or belly-laugh) it would be to call the police and say they smelt drugs being smoked on your balcony.

Just a possible scenario.

JB :)

I would almost bet that one or more of your neighbors anonymously tipped off the authorities that you were running drugs. Interesting idea that others might want to remember if they see folks smoking on their balcony :).

Hank

Remember, when you take a cruise, the ship completes a manifest — a list of the name and details of each person on board — that it presents to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. While you are out cruising, law enforcement then scans that list looking for anyone with outstanding warrants.

They don't just routinely pick someone's cabin to search . . . there had to be a reason. Perhaps someone (either passengers or crew) saw what they felt was suspicious activity while you were on a shore excursion or around the ship and reported it to security. BTW, when they say no smoking on the balconies, they really mean it.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

if it was just smoking on their balcony I do not think they would wait to dock & have CBP address the issue

the ship's security would be at their door long before docking

Maybe they were suspected of bringing something illegal aboard in a port

JMO

if it was just smoking on their balcony I do not think they would wait to dock & have CBP address the issue

the ship's security would be at their door long before docking

Maybe they were suspected of bringing something illegal aboard in a port

JMO

Ship security is notably lax in dealing with smoking issues and will often say this is nothing they can do unless they catch somebody in the act. But you know the old saying that "payback is a b^%$$! One wonders if somebody decided to get some real payback. While we would never consider anything that drastic, we do salute anyone who would do such a thing to a smoker who ignores the rules.

Hank

Nope never witnessed this kind of thing. Once got stopped by the Highway Patrol because they were looking for someone in a car like mine. Same thing happened to my sister a few months later, same car. We were both blonde at the time.

I agree with all posters, you were either turned in by your neighbors or you or your friend have something on your record that made them suspicious or something you did made you suspicious. Or you were mistaken for someone else. Things like this are not random.

OP, If the security team did not tell you why they searched your cabin, then everything anyone on this forum tells you is nothing more than pure speculation. And how did you know they were law enforcement?