How do I best simulate morning "daylight" in an interior room?

This isn't RCI-specific, but thought I'd run it by the experienced cruisers here. I'm all about ports, and my next two cruises are solo, so I'm sticking with interior rooms because the price difference to upgrade is high for my priorities.

The main issue I have with interiors is waking up and not knowing if it's morning or not. Yes, I can check my phone, but that sometimes wakes me up too much if it's the middle of the night. I'd like to be able to set a relatively dim light to go on at the time of my choice.

Have any of you done this? Did you use a phone app, wake-up light (alarm clock), or what? I'd like something that's not huge to pack, and would prefer it not be my phone, but if that's the best option, that's OK too.

Any suggestions would be great - thanks!

Edited to add that I'm not talking about a certain color of light that's like daylight, just some light what it's daytime!

This isn't RCI-specific, but thought I'd run it by the experienced cruisers here. I'm all about ports, and my next two cruises are solo, so I'm sticking with interior rooms because the price difference to upgrade is high for my priorities.

The main issue I have with interiors is waking up and not knowing if it's morning or not. Yes, I can check my phone, but that sometimes wakes me up too much if it's the middle of the night. I'd like to be able to set a relatively dim light to go on at the time of my choice.

Have any of you done this? Did you use a phone app, wake-up light (alarm clock), or what? I'd like something that's not huge to pack, and would prefer it not be my phone, but if that's the best option, that's OK too.

Any suggestions would be great - thanks!

Edited to add that I'm not talking about a certain color of light that's like daylight, just some light what it's daytime!

Some people put tv on that can show a live outside view of the ship. Not sure if your ship has this view. Check

Definitely use the TV...there is a channel that shows the outside. (Turn the volume all the way down). There are also clock/lights that can be programmed to come on at a certain time...gradually.

I would NEVER get an inside cabin for that reason....not that I could sleep all day, because I couldn't, but because I'd need to use lamps in the daytime...and I HATE that!

I find that the TV tuned to that channel emits too much light, even though it's showing darkness.

I would try a phone app. There are a lot of them available, and they do a very good job. You can have them gradually raise the light level to simulate sunrise.

I find that the TV tuned to that channel emits too much light, even though it's showing darkness.

I would try a phone app. There are a lot of them available, and they do a very good job. You can have them gradually raise the light level to simulate sunrise.

I found that too I like complete darkness when I sleep. I think an app that wakes you with light would be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always booked balconies or JS...but on the three day Bahamas cruise we just returned from, we booked an inside. We were SHOCKED to discover we really enjoyed it. It was cool, dark & quiet. We decided if we ever booked a short, 3 day again, we’d have no problems in an inside.

We both used our phones to check the time...and set an alarm. I know, crazy, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When looking at the prospect of a "MyVegas" cruise reward and an interior (not a problem as we upgraded to ocean view) I was considering something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773KQ871/ref=asc_df_B0773KQ8715509592/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B0773KQ871&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232831470222&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9994285209924980005&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019698&hvtargid=pla-388744241490

(basically an alarm clock to gradually increase the light in the room)

Its vacation... whats the difference?

I might wake up at 4:00 in the morning. If I check my phone for the time (to see if it's late enough to get up), it wakes me up enough that it can be hard to go back to sleep. If a dim light came on in the room at the earliest time I'd want to get up, it would be like being at home on a Saturday: dark = roll over and go back to sleep, light = get up if I feel like it.

Thanks, all for your comments!

Why not just use the alarm clock function of your phone. Set it for the time that the sunrise will happen the next day. Alternatively, use the phone for a wake up call. If you don't hear either of these just roll over and go back to sleep.

Why not just use the alarm clock function of your phone. Set it for the time that the sunrise will happen the next day. Alternatively, use the phone for a wake up call. If you don't hear either of these just roll over and go back to sleep.

Same reason I don't set my alarm on Saturdays at home. I don't necessarily want to get up at 6:30 a.m., but if I woke up at 6:30 without my alarm, I'd probably get up. Just looking for a way to know, if I half wake up, if it's daylight or not.

We always booked balconies or JS...but on the three day Bahamas cruise we just returned from, we booked an inside. We were SHOCKED to discover we really enjoyed it. It was cool, dark & quiet. We decided if we ever booked a short, 3 day again, we’d have no problems in an inside.

We both used our phones to check the time...and set an alarm. I know, crazy, right?

I hate when people make realize I’m not as odd as I think i am, lol. My wife cruised as a kid & took me on my first ever cruise for our honeymoon (Voyager in 2002 when the promenade was a new thing). She had only ever had balconies growing up & was convinced she needed one. After having them & not using them much for a couple more cruises we did the exact same thing. Took our first ever short cruise (just to get the 4 points we needed to get to Diamond at the time) & found the cheapest interior from our home port we could. Like you, we LOVED the cold, dark “cave” & actually prefer it now. My in laws got us a balcony on Oasis last summer & we used it once. All it did was make our room hot. That said, we. do have one on Radiance next week since it’s Alaska, but when we go back to the Caribbean we’ll go back to our cave.

Apologies to the OP. I have no advice as I don’t mind waking up & checking my phone. It’s what I’m doing right now in fact since it’s 3:15am here in Alaska & my internal clock is still screwy. Sounds like an app is the way to go.

I'd use a "wakeup light" over the TV, simply because I'm a major fan of total darkness when I sleep and a TV would be pretty bright.

I know what you mean about looking at the clock. I keep my alarm clock at home covered because if I wake up at 4 and know it's 4, my mind will not allow me to fall back asleep and I lay in bed frustrated for over an hour before I give up.

I personally usually set an alarm. That way I don't get out of my 'routine' and when I return to work I'm not a zombie for days until I re-adjust.

I might wake up at 4:00 in the morning. If I check my phone for the time (to see if it's late enough to get up), it wakes me up enough that it can be hard to go back to sleep. !

I"m not meaning to be confrontational at all, but this is a mental hurdle that you can overcome. I fought insomnia for many years and learned a lot about the mental aspects of sleeping. Keep the phone close enough that you don't have to reach excessively and don't let your mind start to engage. Sure that sounds easier than it might be, but you can train your mind.

I like to be out on deck for sunrise every day. Different people have different priorities for their vacations.

Not only do we enjoy the sunrise and sunset- but I would feel much too claustrophobic in a small inside cabin. We like the extra walking and storage room of a balcony and above cabin. While we aren't big people- I do not like tripping over my DH when walking around cabin. Some cruise lines have tiny bathrooms also.

I have been in a Celebrity Suite on the M class ships which gives you a dark bedroom and a sunny living/dining room, including a balcony. Also a decent sized bathroom. But may not work for everybody's budget.

I understand that especially young people on a limited budget, manage with an inside cabin and it works for them. Guess not the best for the over 50 crowd- IMO!

I hate when people make realize I’m not as odd as I think i am, lol. My wife cruised as a kid & took me on my first ever cruise for our honeymoon (Voyager in 2002 when the promenade was a new thing). She had only ever had balconies growing up & was convinced she needed one. After having them & not using them much for a couple more cruises we did the exact same thing. Took our first ever short cruise (just to get the 4 points we needed to get to Diamond at the time) & found the cheapest interior from our home port we could. Like you, we LOVED the cold, dark “cave” & actually prefer it now. My in laws got us a balcony on Oasis last summer & we used it once. All it did was make our room hot. That said, we. do have one on Radiance next week since it’s Alaska, but when we go back to the Caribbean we’ll go back to our cave.

Apologies to the OP. I have no advice as I don’t mind waking up & checking my phone. It’s what I’m doing right now in fact since it’s 3:15am here in Alaska & my internal clock is still screwy. Sounds like an app is the way to go.

We booked this three day cruise about 3 months out, and I just couldn’t see the value in a balcony/JS for three days. We do have two more cruises booked (JS...which will make us Diamond after the second one) but I’m glad to know that insides are okay, and that I could happily cruise in one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums