I need my wifi!!

If it were up to me we would get WiFi, I struggle with not being able to check up on our home and pets all week. But my husband is pretty insistent about not getting it, because he just needs to switch off from work and knows he would not if he was able to log in to his email. So we don’t get it and I fret all week!

Put me in the disconnect completely category. I even bring a wrist watch so I have no need to carry my phone.

My manager still thinks there's no Wi-Fi at sea. I tell them I'll be off the grid for the week so don't call, email or text. They're not cruisers so they're clueless. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

But what if cell phones or the internet didn't exist? You would still be a small business owner, correct? You would give someone back home an emergency number of the cruise line to call if something were to arise, wouldn't you?

:cool:

Things are ran differently now. Don’t forget that businesses did not use internet 20 years ago either. We are in a digital age where some business decisions are expected to made immediately. Our businesses today are also tied to the electronic storage and communications now more than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Times change and old people don't deal with it very well. They look back with fond memories of how good it used to be.

Used to be no phones, then phones came along. By golly, if I wanted to talk to someone, I'd go talk to them.

Then phones became the norm

Used to be, nobody had radio's in their house. Old people hated it and said it was just noise

Used to be, nobody had cars. Damn contraptions just scare the hell out of the animals.

Well, now we're connected 24/7 with instant access to information. Don't like it? accept that you're probably older and either don't know how to use it, or just want things the way they were back in the day.

Why can't people just disconnect? Well,, why can't people just accept change and move on?

BTW,,, I'm 61. I'm old in age but trying to stay young mentally.

We get connected because it is included to Star Class suites. I home school my granddaughter so we log online every morning and spend 2 minutes then put the computer away until the next morning. Unfortunately we might need it more with our longer cruise in September but at least it is still included.

Times change and old people don't deal with it very well. They look back with fond memories of how good it used to be.

Used to be no phones, then phones came along. By golly, if I wanted to talk to someone, I'd go talk to them.

Then phones became the norm

Used to be, nobody had radio's in their house. Old people hated it and said it was just noise

Used to be, nobody had cars. Damn contraptions just scare the hell out of the animals.

Well, now we're connected 24/7 with instant access to information. Don't like it? accept that you're probably older and either don't know how to use it, or just want things the way they were back in the day.

Why can't people just disconnect? Well,, why can't people just accept change and move on?

BTW,,, I'm 61. I'm old in age but trying to stay young mentally.

Well said. For me to disconnect for a week or more could potentially cost my business tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars in a lost opportunity. Or cost me a valuable client because I couldn't get a problem resolved in a timely manner. That's my reality. If you can afford to disconnect for your cruise good for you. I can't.

My SO and I share a wifi connection on board.

Mainly to keep in touch with family. Check emails a couple of times a day. And look up something when we are having a conversation and need some info.

In my case, my Dad is 91 and lives alone (he does fine), but I do like to check in with him every so often.

My husband needs to stay connected with his students. He has to take his vacation time around when he can get time off from his full time job but that doesn't always line up with breaks from his teaching job. Thankfully he only teaches hybrid course so it is easy for him to just be available online during our time away. He just needs to check in 1-2 times a day to answer questions and make sure everything is running smoothly.

Our kids will also log in to check assignments or turn in something. I am sure there will be a few mins. of social media time for both of the older kids as well, though they don't spend a lot of time on SM when we are traveling in general. Also, I like to check in with family here and there and also like to check in with our friends watching our dog every few days.

People moved on.... They are so connected, they are actually more disconnected.

:cool:

Those that are disconnected, in that they don't engage with those around them, didn't engage before the age of the smartphone either.

My question is why do you get the WIFI package and what do you do with it?

When I'm home, work is a 24/7 thing for me. As a result, I travel for leisure- A LOT. I try to get away at least for an extended weekend every three weeks or so. I cruise for a week 2-3 times per year, spend another 2-3 weeks on land based vacations, and have numerous long weekend getaways to Florida, Vegas, and other domestic locations. Doing so allows me to strike a much better balance in my life.

HOWEVER, since my business is still somewhat 24/7, while I CAN get away without being connected, I find doing so makes my vacation more relaxing, as I'm not waiting to get home to discover what I need to deal with. And it makes my time home easier as I am not constantly overwhelmed upon my return cleaning up the messes that festered while I was gone.

I receive 200-300 emails a day that either need to be acknowledged, saved, or discarded. When I go away, I do put an auto reply on my email, so people looking for an immediate response know to seek it through other means. But to take a few minutes here and there and keep the inbox empty, instead of coming home to 1500-2000 emails is much preferable.

I need to be connected to post something on Facebook everyday. The reason for this is that I manage a Facebook Page for a Travel Agency.

So I'm happy to buy the voom package, since I don't pay for my cruise fare or air fare :-)

If you put your phone in the safe, why don't you just leave it at home?

The Internet is a tool, nothing more.

Because people use their phone prior to getting on the ship. Boarding pass at the airport comes to mind, letting family know they have arrived, etc. without any problems along the way. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I arrive at the ship, with my baggage, without any hiccups! Then the phone goes in the safe!

Put me in the disconnect completely category. I even bring a wrist watch so I have no need to carry my phone.

My manager still thinks there's no Wi-Fi at sea. I tell them I'll be off the grid for the week so don't call, email or text. They're not cruisers so they're clueless. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

First and foremost go birds! What you said I believe is very important regarding work.I'll be off the grid for the week so don't call, email or text!!

We leave our phones in airplane mode and just use them for taking pictures or music. Even though texts and calls from the Caribbean and Mexico are included in our plan we enjoy the time disconnected.

For those who have to have access for work; that's not a robust system. If somebody can't go out of contact for a week then there are some serious problems with delegation and authority.

OK, this is a question I think a lot of people would like to discuss! People now are connected 24x7 to the world. Be it social media or work. It's now too easy to be contacted but in some cases, that's a good thing. I see more and more people on cruises with their face buried in a smart phone or a tablet posting to Facebook, Instagram, or Snapchat. To me (maybe I'm getting old.. ugh) a cruise is a time to cut off contact from the world and enjoy a relaxing time in a lounge chair with a drink and letting the stress of your real life melt away for a precious few day.

My question is why do you get the WIFI package and what do you do with it?

One of the major selling points of a cruise to me is colleagues, clients, solicitors, etc. can not reach me. I use my one free day of internet to catch up on news and check in with family.

I realize many are self-employed and without internet they could not as easily take a vacation and so having internet access to manage their business is an absolute must and the difference between going or not going.

But some are just completely absorbed and can't pick their head up from Facebook on vacation, they live for social media credibility and their entire world exists around it, which I find pathetic.

One of the major selling points of a cruise to me is colleagues, clients, solicitors, etc. can not reach me. I use my one free day of internet to catch up on news and check in with family.

I realize many are self-employed and without internet they could not as easily take a vacation and so having internet access to manage their business is an absolute must and the difference between going or not going.

But some are just completely absorbed and can't pick their head up from Facebook on vacation, they live for social media credibility and their entire world exists around it, which I find pathetic.

While I mainly unplug and have never gotten wifi, I am not sure why people feel the need to call others names because they have different ideas or beliefs. Calling somebody pathetic simply because they feel different than use does nothing but create animosity. Why not try and see that everybody is different?

The goal of a thread like this should not be to try and shame others or get them to change their ways. I find it interesting to hear other people's ideas and why (or why not) they make the decision to buy the package.

While I mainly unplug and have never gotten wifi, I am not sure why people feel the need to call others names because they have different ideas or beliefs. Calling somebody pathetic simply because they feel different than use does nothing but create animosity. Why not try and see that everybody is different?

The goal of a thread like this should not be to try and shame others or get them to change their ways. I find it interesting to hear other people's ideas and why (or why not) they make the decision to buy the package.

I didn't call anybody anything, re-read.

We leave our phones in airplane mode and just use them for taking pictures or music. Even though texts and calls from the Caribbean and Mexico are included in our plan we enjoy the time disconnected.

For those who have to have access for work; that's not a robust system. If somebody can't go out of contact for a week then there are some serious problems with delegation and authority.

This is a ridiculous assumption.:o