Will we like the Koningsdam?

ASIWISH

We're taking a Med cruise next June on the Koningsdam and this will be our first cruise with HAL. We chose HAL because of the itinerary. I know this question has been asked thousands of times but how are the pax dressed on the gala nights. I've heard that for European cruises, they tend to dress up.

My other opinion is that, as the newest of its fleet, I believe that the best of the HAL personnel was assigned to K-dam when she launched. This covers everything from the Captain down to the person who sews the buttons.
Not true. Our waiter in Sel de Mer was on his first HAL contract, as was one of the workers we talked to in the Grand Dutch Cafe, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones on the ship. They don't "raid" all of the other ships to staff a new ship. Top, key people yes, but many at lower levels are not long-time employees. And I can think of many reasons why a "top-notch" employee would not want to be on a large new ship. Edited by catl331

Not true. Our waiter in Sel de Mer was on his first HAL contract, as was one of the workers we talked to in the Grand Dutch Cafe, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones on the ship. They don't "raid" all of the other ships to staff a new ship. Top, key people yes, but many at lower levels are not long-time employees. And I can think of many reasons why a "top-notch" employee would not want to be on a large new ship.

Yes I believe you may have a good point.

Not true. Our waiter in Sel de Mer was on his first HAL contract, as was one of the workers we talked to in the Grand Dutch Cafe, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones on the ship. They don't "raid" all of the other ships to staff a new ship. Top, key people yes, but many at lower levels are not long-time employees. And I can think of many reasons why a "top-notch" employee would not want to be on a large new ship.

Totally agree with your entire post but especially the part I bolded. My most recent cruise is the Prinsendam but I think the same can be said for many of the smaller ships in the fleet. The crew love where they are and the attention they can give. I suspect they will be going into a bit of "shock" when they have to move to a bigger ship.

I recognized many of the crew on the P'dam because they want to be there. In fact one new crew member who has a twin sister was separated because she didn't want to go on the Koningsdam. she chose the P'dam and she is a charming, excellent waitress. Her sister was assigned another ship (not the King).

they are both talented in the crew performances.

Totally agree with your entire post but especially the part I bolded. My most recent cruise is the Prinsendam but I think the same can be said for many of the smaller ships in the fleet. The crew love where they are and the attention they can give. I suspect they will be going into a bit of "shock" when they have to move to a bigger ship.

I recognized many of the crew on the P'dam because they want to be there. In fact one new crew member who has a twin sister was separated because she didn't want to go on the Koningsdam. she chose the P'dam and she is a charming, excellent waitress. Her sister was assigned another ship (not the King).

they are both talented in the crew performances.

Our Prinsendam room steward was on his first contract with HAL. he didn’t seem too thrilled to be there. He told us crew space was not as nice as on the newer ships he had worked on for other cruise lines. Officers were even taking up a collection to improve crew quarters- selling light up pins in return for a donation.

This is the only time sailing eight cruise lines that we were solicited for money to improve a ship.

On every cruise line we have sailed, crew members say they have no choice on which ship they are assigned to.

They don’t pick their ships. Every line we have sailed has a mix of newbie and experienced crew.

"Quote" Officers were even taking up a collection to improve crew quarters- selling light up pins in return for a donation. Taking up a collection

I find it hard to believe that Hal would allow such thing to happen. :confused::mad:

Also I thought anyone including staff were could not to reserve lounges for someone. This a "new" rule.

Edited by boards

Kenevenpar - Please do tell, how does one go about reserving pool loungers???

Simply getting out early??? ( or VERY early )

And, I have sailed Princess... Just by photos, nope, I would not say that they are similar, at all.

That MDR on HAL.. OMG....

Cabins....

etc...

Different for sure.

We are looking at our first cruise with HAL on the new-build.

Seems it will be an almost carbon-copy of the K.

Uggggghhhhh,

Take a look at the Princess new-build. (and other lines as well)

Princess just released Artist Renderings.

All others are updating and making nice departures from the past.

But, doesn't look like this is so with HAL at all.

"Quote" Officers were even taking up a collection to improve crew quarters- selling light up pins in return for a donation. Taking up a collection

I find it hard to believe that Hal would allow such thing to happen. :confused::mad:

Also I thought anyone including staff were could not to reserve lounges for someone. This a "new" rule.

True story, no one could make this up.

We received flyers in the cabin asking us to buy pins so the ship could improve crew quarters. These blinking light pins were being sold at a table, evenings outside the show lounge. Usually the physician, her husband and the nurse manned the table and explained the purpose of the sale. They were also sold mornings in the show lounge to people claiming tender or tour tickets. The physician’s husband sold the pins.

We asked our room steward about the fundraiser and he told us it was his first contract on HAL. He said newer ships offered more in crew quarters.

On every cruise line we have sailed, crew members say they have no choice on which ship they are assigned to. They don’t pick their ships.
We once talked to a waitress in the Tamarind of the Eurodam who was excited that her request to be assigned to the K-dam had just been approved. I can't believe that HAL doesn't try to match employee wishes to staffing needs as best they can.

Last October the Cabana Stewards told us that they had to excel at their jobs in order for them to be allowed to work on the Koningsdam and they were very happy to be there. Now, I am certain that they don't staff the ship with ALL seasoned employees, but they did say the transfer to the K was something the crew aspired to.

And, I have sailed Princess... Just by photos, nope, I would not say that they are similar, at all.

That MDR on HAL.. OMG....

Cabins....

etc...

Different for sure.

Uggggghhhhh,

If you go looking for the negative you will certainly find it. Personally, I like to keep an open mind.

We're taking a Med cruise next June on the Koningsdam and this will be our first cruise with HAL. We chose HAL because of the itinerary. I know this question has been asked thousands of times but how are the pax dressed on the gala nights. I've heard that for European cruises, they tend to dress up.

In my experience, yes, the passengers do tend to dress up a little more. Now, having said that, it all depends on the makeup of the passengers. I'm sure there will be others who will post that they have had a very different experience.

Funny, some people say KDam was TOO much of a departure from traditional HAL style. Have you actually sailed on KDam, or just looked at pictures. I am confused.

At any rate, it just goes to show you can't please everyone, and there is no way we are going to be able to answer the OP's original question...is the OP going to like KDam. How would we be able to answer that question ? We don't know the OP, or anything about their tastes, likes or dislikes!

Uggggghhhhh,

Funny, some people say KDam was TOO much of a departure from traditional HAL style. Have you actually sailed on KDam, or just looked at pictures. I am confused.
I have read several posts from Wishing that bashes the look and design of the K-dam, on multiple threads. I find this especially frustrating because I think we will be on the same Nieuw Statendam sailing next year. I don't like negativity while I'm on vacation, and in my mind, this person will wander the halls and audibly "tsk tsk" everything he/she sees (even after already having done it it for months online, pre-cruise). I know that's an extreme presumption, but I just don't understand why, if a person hates a ship's design that much, he/she would book a sailing on it. If I'm spending that much money, it better be at least 95% to my satisfaction, if not more, before I commit. We should vote with our dollars.

If I'm being harsh, please forgive me. It's not my intention of hurting any feelings.

In my experience, yes, the passengers do tend to dress up a little more. Now, having said that, it all depends on the makeup of the passengers. I'm sure there will be others who will post that they have had a very different experience.

I just got off of the Koningsdam. I saw way fewer formally dressed men and more dark blazers. There were more women in glitzy dresses but still didn't look overly formal. I think it is up to what you want to do.

Exceptionally early. I was shocked at the number of people who were saving both "shade" chairs and "sun" chairs, while the staff watched.

By the way, they also jam the chairs so close together that you need to move other chairs just to get on your lounger. If you are early enough, you can get an end of the row seat.

I honestly hope I never have to chair hog again. It is not pleasant!

I have read several posts from Wishing that bashes the look and design of the K-dam, on multiple threads. I find this especially frustrating because I think we will be on the same Nieuw Statendam sailing next year. I don't like negativity while I'm on vacation, and in my mind, this person will wander the halls and audibly "tsk tsk" everything he/she sees (even after already having done it it for months online, pre-cruise). I know that's an extreme presumption, but I just don't understand why, if a person hates a ship's design that much, he/she would book a sailing on it. If I'm spending that much money, it better be at least 95% to my satisfaction, if not more, before I commit. We should vote with our dollars.

If I'm being harsh, please forgive me. It's not my intention of hurting any feelings.

After a few months reading posts on this board I’ve arrived at the conclusion that some of the most frequent posters on here haven’t taken a cruise in years and that most of their input is anecdotal and dated. What you are reading is a combination of nostalgia and their opinion of the way things oughta be - in their mind of course.

They’re so detached from the current state of things that they’re just plain wrong.

I’m just off the Koningsdam and no one gave a flip about gala night attire. Everyone was pleasant and friendly (passengers and crew) and the ship was beautiful. Ignore the negative nellies on here. Go have fun.

We chickened out, and booked the Nieuw Amsterdam!

Maybe next time... but, thank you everyone!

I can totally understand-it's your comfort zone!

There are pros and cons on every ship. We really enjoyed our 3 weeks on the Koningsdam in December going in with an open mind and waiting several days to decide if we liked the ship. We ended up loving her and have 2 more cruises booked on her early 2019.

Enjoy your NA cruise. Maybe one day the itinerary on the K will convince you to give her a try.

We are are the K'dam in October. I and hubby plan on dressing up on gala nights. Just our preference. It's no more hassle taking the tux with a couple of shirts vs. blazer, slacks and shirts. As for me, I rarely get an opportunity to dress up and enjoy it. On our past couple of cruises I've noticed less and less passengers getting dressed up for gala nights.

Wine director on K ??? Not sure.

We are just off a week ago. Beverage Manager is Eileen. Very approachable and helpful.

Various servers in the various Restaurants are noticeable by wearing their "tastevin"

They too are helpful.

deeko