My Travel Agent has disappeared! What are my options?

rsail203

If you received a Celebrity Booking Confirmation - Guest Copy from your TA, in the top left hand corner under "General Information" you will see some information from the "parent company" that hosts your TA. I don't know of any TA (if a single home agent) that doesn't work with a company, or with a consortium.

In that top left corner, on my booking confirmations, I have the name of the website of the parent company, then the first name of my TA, then a string of 9 numbers which is the telephone number of the parent company. This is not the phone number where I reach my TA, but if I can't reach my TA and I need an answer, I can call the 9 digit number and reach the parent company. This is not a toll free number.

If I go to the Travel Agency website, I can find the toll-free number of the parent company.

You should be able to find out what is happening with your TA through the parent company, and very likely be able to get the extra OBC and free gratuities that you were promised.

I used this TA before and he was always super fast in responding to emails. Sounds like something unfortunate has happened.

Same.

Coincidentally received another of his sales emails today. I suspect it comes from the network centrally though rather than generated by him.

Most of the discussions on this TA disappearance has to do with current issues prior to the cruise. I have found my TA to be extremely helpful during and after the cruise with various issues. So just saying all is OK because your reservation/deposit/final payment/OBC covered, doesn’t cover the whole situation. There maybe complications that a TA you can actually contact would be more than helpful.

That’s why I use a local TA who is a person, not a website/800 number.

My TA called us during an Ireland tour to give us a heads up that our flight into NYC could be an issue over weather and had backups for us. When we got to NY, she called and tracked us until we got on our flight. Try that with a discount website company. An extra bit of OBC is not worth it to me as a trade off on true assistance beyond getting my ticket.

Den

Do people actually make payments directly to a TA? Although my deposits and final payments are usually made by my TA, the charge always goes directly to the cruise company. I would never accept a charge going directly to the TA.

Why would anyone do it differently?

I had similar experiance, only I had to make TA disappear before she really goofed up more. I called Celebrity and explained whole scenario. They were great despite it being months past 60 day mark, and all perks etc were honoured.

Do people actually make payments directly to a TA? Although my deposits and final payments are usually made by my TA, the charge always goes directly to the cruise company. I would never accept a charge going directly to the TA.

Why would anyone do it differently?

I think what we do (at least me) is I give my TA my CC# and info and she makes the deposit to the Cruise Line. It shows up as a direct charge to the Line.

Den

I think what we do (at least me) is I give my TA my CC# and info and she makes the deposit to the Cruise Line. It shows up as a direct charge to the Line.

Den

Do you give your CC info on phone or email. Is it safe to do so

Many travel agents operate independently under the umbrella of a large "franchise" travel agent. I looked into this when I retired as a "fun" vocation...but never followed up. Sometimes the agent uses their own address even if officially (legally if selling travel in Florida) they use the address of the franchise agency. One of the larger franchise agents is in Maitland, FL. You might try your agents name with the franchise location rather than the agents address.

Okay. Thanks again everyone!. I called Celebrity today to turn the reservation back to them. The Captains Club lady put me on a pretty long hold and talked to the agent that I had talked to several days ago. I guess they were looking into it further as she came back and told me that Greg was on medical leave and his reservations were being handled by 2 people in a Host Agency. She gave me their phone numbers and I called them. I talked to one lady who told me that they just got this info last night. She wasn't able to pull up my reservation, but said they would have it as it's too soon, so I told her I'd call back Monday.

Since, I'm in no rush, I'll give them time, but obviously I want to see that they're looking at my reservation before I feel the problem is settled. I just looked at their website and I see pictures of all their employees, including the two I had been given. It's good to know that they really exist.

For those of you who have closer final payment schedules, I would suggest that you talk to Captains Club. Two Captains Club reps who should be able to help you are Fong and Heather.

Rich

Okay. Thanks again everyone!. I called Celebrity today to turn the reservation back to them. The Captains Club lady put me on a pretty long hold and talked to the agent that I had talked to several days ago. I guess they were looking into it further as she came back and told me that Greg was on medical leave and his reservations were being handled by 2 people in a Host Agency. .....

Rich

Thanks for the update. I too have been following this situation. Also hope the travel agent will be OK as his sudden absence suggests an unanticipated situation or emergency.

Okay. Thanks again everyone!. I called Celebrity today to turn the reservation back to them. The Captains Club lady put me on a pretty long hold and talked to the agent that I had talked to several days ago. I guess they were looking into it further as she came back and told me that Greg was on medical leave and his reservations were being handled by 2 people in a Host Agency. She gave me their phone numbers and I called them. I talked to one lady who told me that they just got this info last night. She wasn't able to pull up my reservation, but said they would have it as it's too soon, so I told her I'd call back Monday.

Since, I'm in no rush, I'll give them time, but obviously I want to see that they're looking at my reservation before I feel the problem is settled. I just looked at their website and I see pictures of all their employees, including the two I had been given. It's good to know that they really exist.

For those of you who have closer final payment schedules, I would suggest that you talk to Captains Club. Two Captains Club reps who should be able to help you are Fong and Heather.

Rich

I am really glad it worked out for you. It's good you have contact with people that will help you with your reservation. I agree ... arrive 1 day early and relax and start your vacation.

I'm actually arriving 3 days early in Buenos Aires for a once in a lifetime cruise to the Antartic. Lots of money spent on airfare so I need to make sure that the cruise goes throgh without any problems.

Rich

I'm actually arriving 3 days early in Buenos Aires for a once in a lifetime cruise to the Antartic. Lots of money spent on airfare so I need to make sure that the cruise goes throgh without any problems.

Rich

(y)

That's sounds amazing! Have a great time.

Rich

I’m happy you’ve been able to get this sorted, and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

I booked this cruise onboard and Celebrity told me yesterday no action is required until final payment is due in October. I can survive the loss of OBC if that is the only problem. My TA confirmation states $550 OBC and free gratuities for a 14 day cruise. My Celebrity booking confirmation states $250 OBC (which I've used to book excursions) and under promotions applied states GO BIG WIFI (not mentioned on my TA's confirmation) and OB SALE 14to 15N. Does anyone know what OB SALE 14to 15N means? Is this gratuities?

"You booked on boad =OB sale for 14 to 15 night cruise. Future cruise credit of $250. TA must have given $300 OBC for your type of cabin along with Free Gratuities; at the time you booked Two free perks must have been offered. Again, if you can't reach his parent company, TA invoice should have been or corporate stationary, get Celebrity involved, fax them a copy of your TA and original Celebrity confirmations. Plead your case. Good Luck. Let us know what happens.

This has been a fascinating thread and there is a lesson to be learned for any traveler and especially those who lack a lot of travel/booking experience. We have long (many years) recommended that prospective cruisers shop around "among reputable high volume cruise agencies" in order to obtain the best overall deal. The difference between booking directly with a cruise line or the wrong agent/agency can cost you the 7-10% (or more) that you will get in terms of pricing and/or amenities such as On Board Credits.

There is a long history in the cruise/travel industry of the existence of so-called "outside agents." Some less then reputable agencies (and some reputable ones) use outside agents who essentially work for themselves and usually do this out of their home. They try to sell cruises and get a cut of their home agencies commission. These agencies figure they have nothing to lose because that outside agent does the work, finds the clients, and only gets a portion of the commission. The agency just rakes in the commissions with little staff work. When you get involved with these folks you may learn the hard way that its really a dog eat dog world and you might be the one wearing milkbone underwear. We have met numerous "outside agents" while on our many cruises and they are fast to give out their personal business card which may not even disclose their home agency.

The problem, when you deal with outside agents or even small agencies, is that they can easily disappear, go out of business, etc. But, in a sense, they own your reservation since the cruise line's do not like to interfere with travel/cruise agencies. So the simple solution is stick with the larger high volume agencies...nearly all of whom operate their own Customer Service desk where you can quickly get agency help/advice in the event that you cannot reach your specific agent. In fact, with most of the high volume agencies you don't even need an agent as its easy to just book online for those who do not have questions or need lots of handholding. Some of my favorite cruise agencies actually charge a small extra fee for those who deal with an agent because it increases their cost of operation. In a sense they pass along the savings (in terms of time and staff) when you simply book your own cruise on their website. But you always have access to their customer service folks...which we think is a MUST for dealing with any agency.

A friend once thought it would be cool to have a T-shirt made that said something like "Don't be a fool, shop around for the best deal" and she had a very good point. But when you do find that "best deal" make sure its with a very reputable agency. that will advocate for you if anything goes wrong or you later need help.

Hank