Love these kids on a cruise threads:

• Out of control kids suck!
  • Don't cruise during holidays.
  • But I work for the schools.
  • Well...adults are worse.
  • Because they drink too much.
  • Cruise Azamara then.

Did I miss anything?

Several cruises ago I booked a oversized balcony to spend time on while enjoying the ocean. On one such day I was standing on the rail and a cigarette butt landed next to my feet. Needless to say I was mad at the inconsiderate guest smoking on their balcony. I called guest relations. They contacted security. A day later I again noticed ashes on my balcony. Once again I went through proper channels and once again the Problem not solved. Here is how I solve inconsiderate passenger and their kids. I have switched to adults only cruise ships. People happier and I don’t worry anymore about guest relations not performing there jobs Sent from my iPhone using Forums
I'm confused ... kids were smoking on the balcony above you?

Also, do you realize that adults (not kids) cause more than half the problems that people regularly complain about on CC. So, I'm curious how all of your problems have been solved; but, I'm happy for you, regardless.

I'm confused ... kids were smoking on the balcony above you?

Also, do you realize that adults (not kids) cause more than half the problems that people regularly complain about on CC. So, I'm curious how all of your problems have been solved; but, I'm happy for you, regardless.

In my experience most likely a much higher percentage than half.

Here is how I solve inconsiderate passenger and their kids. I have switched to adults only cruise ships. People happier and I don’t worry anymore about guest relations not performing there jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do those ships have a test to see if the passengers actually will act like adults, or do they just look at passenger age?

I have to think a bit about people being happier on an adult only cruise ship. Seems to me that adults on disney cruises, Carnival, NCL, etc cruises are pretty happy, but maybe that's just me. Maybe the trick is not to book on cruise lines like Celebrity where people apparently aren't happy. Personally, I'm going to look for a cruise line that bans unhappy people....irrespective of age.

What I’m saying is if the inconsiderate adults and their children are ruining your vacation and security and guest relations does not want to get involved there are other cruise lines that would be happy to have you. Complaining does nothing. Guest relations would never tell a family how to act on their vacation.(for fear of losing business)

Do those ships have a test to see if the passengers actually will act like adults, or do they just look at passenger age?

I have to think a bit about people being happier on an adult only cruise ship. Seems to me that adults on disney cruises, Carnival, NCL, etc cruises are pretty happy, but maybe that's just me. Maybe the trick is not to book on cruise lines like Celebrity where people apparently aren't happy. Personally, I'm going to look for a cruise line that bans unhappy people....irrespective of age.

Doesn't sound like Mr. Sunshine to me...

What I’m saying is if the inconsiderate adults and their children are ruining your vacation and security and guest relations does not want to get involved there are other cruise lines that would be happy to have you. Complaining does nothing. Guest relations would never tell a family how to act on their vacation.(for fear of losing business)

You are absolutely correct when you state that there are other options. Not every line is a good fit for everyone. However, Celebrity does in fact take stern action in cases where a person or persons has been disruptive. A one time, "Top Cruiser" has been banned from taking any Royal Caribbean product and I've witnessed people being removed from a Celebrity ship. The last case I personally know about was on Silhouette when the Father yelled at the Captain. The entire family was put off the ship the following morning.

You really are missing the point! In my experience, and I don't think I'm alone, adults do more annoying, inconsiderate things than kids. Kids don't reserve chairs on their way to breakfast; they don't yell from table to table in the dining room; they don't return drinks because there aren't enough olives...and so on. These folks can't be stereotyped based on wealth or age either.....I've seen folks who could buy the ship scream at waiters; I've been run over by older folks in electric wheel chairs; we all have our war stories. Let me assure you, from first hand experience, that moving to a more expensive, more exclusive cruise ship won't eliminate some of the folks you want to eliminate. That includes river cruises where you find few children and lots of folks who care about "ME" only.

Find the right cruise line for you...or at least the right cruises. The passengers you'll find on a Celebrity 14 day Antarctic cruise are far different than a 7 night Caribbean cruise. We have all been in situations that we found intolerable, but couldn't do anything about. Generally, they are unique situations and I wouldn't throw out a cruise line for one incident.

Best of luck on having a great cruise, whatever cruise line/ship you select....but remember, you just never know who's in the next cabin, who talks loudly in halls or who feels that the rules just don't apply to them....... You can't stereotype...it's not age, it's not money....it's just people who do what they feel is right....and sometimes that differs from your view.

While I can see how your solution would solve your problem with unruly children, I don't see what it would do about passengers smoking on their balcony.

It show whether your cruise line's safety and security department is interested in controlling their passengers' behavior where safety is concerned. Smoking on balconies has been blamed for several fires at sea!

Tough situation as those kids also have a right to have some fun. But if it is really that bad, get a Smartphone and record some of the incident. A picture is worth many words. Take your phone to Guest Relations and show them your issue.

Hank

We did just that on one of our cruises where a gang of teens was roaming around the ship after midnight. Guest Relations was able to identify the teens, including one whose grandmother we knew. We heard later from grandma that Guest Relations contacted her and threatened to put the two of them off the ship if she didn't get the teen under better control. (Apparently the girl had snuck out of the cabin after grandma fell asleep). And what Guest Relations hadn't shared with us (but told grandma) was that their video monitors had caught the gang of teens going behind one of the ship's bars in search of alcohol. So rest assured that the ship's security staff is aware of what's going on, whether there's a safety or law enforcement risk, and where the culprits are staying.

Unfortunately you are so correct. As to the posters who say take your vacations when kids are in school...my wife and I would also be in school as we are teachers...

Then sail on an adults only line. I was a teacher for 15 years so I understand that restriction. And since you are teachers you should know that non-parented out of control kids are increasingly the norm, and a lot of the parents are pretty sketchy as well (you must have had the experience of understanding a kid's dysfunctionality better after meeting the parent). But if you put yourself in an environment where you will likely be surrounded by them that is on you. There are other vacation alternatives. Because sure as God made green apples, whining here about it isn't going to change a thing.

I don't a agree with that sentiment. Traveling during school vacations shouldn't negate your right to enjoy a fairly quiet breakfast on your balcony. OP is not talking about kids playing, talking, giggling on their balcony. They're banging the partition, running and yelling. The parents should be responsible for teaching their kids proper behavior.

I agree, but you saying so and me agreeing isn't going to do a thing to change it. So you either suck it up and live with it (hopefully without whining) or seek other alternatives. Because wishing doesn't make it so.

Still contend...teach your children to respect others...no bratty behavior is going to dictate when I should go on vacation. Obviously their parents are to ignorant to know better. Their children’s poor behavior and bringing up should not be a guest problem....

I agree, but how's that working out for you? You can rail against reality all you want and bang your head against a wall and make yourself unhappy, or seek alternatives that avoid the problem. There are all kinds of adult only vacation venues.

You really are missing the point! In my experience, and I don't think I'm alone, adults do more annoying, inconsiderate things than kids. Kids don't reserve chairs on their way to breakfast; they don't yell from table to table in the dining room; they don't return drinks because there aren't enough olives...and so on. These folks can't be stereotyped based on wealth or age either.....I've seen folks who could buy the ship scream at waiters; I've been run over by older folks in electric wheel chairs; we all have our war stories. Let me assure you, from first hand experience, that moving to a more expensive, more exclusive cruise ship won't eliminate some of the folks you want to eliminate. That includes river cruises where you find few children and lots of folks who care about "ME" only.

My point (made earlier) is that adults can be dealt with but children cannot. If adults are being loud or obnoxious they can be told to lower their voices, etc. Failure to do so could result in them being asked go back to their cabin (or worse).

On the other hand, no one can really discipline a child except for their parents (even a polite request to the parent to curb their child(s) behavior can be met with anger and verbal abuse).

In the opinion of many, the things that you listed that adults do are not as disruptive as children running up and down hallways in the middle of the night (screaming at the top of their lungs) and the list could go on and on.

As an aside, we cruise on what you consider "expensive cruise lines" and rarely witness a "ME" attitude. There are also very rare cases of anyone being drunk, loud or obnoxious.

I think, to stay with a sailing term, we're going a little overboard here. OK, we've only been on 6 cruises but all have had kids on them. I don't recall any incidents. In fact, on a couple of cruises there were groups who were notably polite. In one case I witnessed several teens on an elevator who vacated it so a couple on scooters could use it on a busy night. Last year on Silhouette I was waiting for my wife to finish cosmetic shopping when a group came up on a human scavenger hunt. "Sir, are you from New Zealand? Please be from New Zealand!!" They were so cute I wish I had been. We just haven't seen kids being issues. That said, we're taking our granddaughters on their first cruise in 2020 - they'd better not change my opinion. :D

Then sail on an adults only line. I was a teacher for 15 years so I understand that restriction. And since you are teachers you should know that non-parented out of control kids are increasingly the norm, and a lot of the parents are pretty sketchy as well (you must have had the experience of understanding a kid's dysfunctionality better after meeting the parent). But if you put yourself in an environment where you will likely be surrounded by them that is on you. There are other vacation alternatives. Because sure as God made green apples, whining here about it isn't going to change a thing.

Sorry, this is an IMO moment. I think that when anyone spends a couple thousand dollars on a cruise vacation then it's reasonable to expect to have an enjoyable time even if it is a school vacation week. Suggesting that passengers who don't like out of control children should book on an adults only cruiseline puts responsibility on concerned passengers and not on a parent's responsibility to control their children or the cruiseline's responsibility to maintain a safe environment. Unsupervised minors on a cruise create safety concerns for all passengers, not just the kids themselves.

Isn't it really about the cruise line enforcing ( or not) their Code of Conduct ?

If the policy were to be enforced, and seen to be enforced, I suspect there would be far fewer cases of people pushing it to the limit as they would be aware that there are consequences to their actions.

If I pay the fare for a cruise, why should I need to consider that due to the time of year, feral children may be a risk? Isn't it the responsibility of all of us to conduct ourselves and our children in keeping with the policy?

We're all in the same boat, why not give some thought about how your actions, and those of your children impact others, and adjust your behaviour accordingly. I know I do.

I would contact security and the hotel manager and ask them to talk to handle it. Years ago, you could approach the parents and tell them there children are misbehaving and they would straighten the kids out. These days, there's a good chance that the parents will get angry at you for criticizing their kids.

This is why we have called GS or security before. These days the parents usually will be mad at you.

We’ve had all kinds of inconsiderate neighbors....some of it annoying but understandable. We’ve had next cabin folks who open the balcony door and play the tv at full volume. Folks next door with Bluetooth speakers who play loud music all day. Folks next door who play the tv at full volume at night or morning. Endless loud coughing every morning (medical unfortunately). Kids running in the halls, yelling in the halls, pounding on every door. Kids running through specialty restaurants....I could go on.

There’s really not much you really can do....we live in a “me” society today...I paid for the cruise, I can do what I want including letting my wonderful kids do what they want.

It’s really not celebrity’s fault..and really nothing they really can do. It’s just the unspoken reality of cruising on a mass market cruise line in today’s world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sure there is. Call GS or security and they will look into it. It has always helped for us. If the people aren't notified then the behavior will keep up.

I think, to stay with a sailing term, we're going a little overboard here. OK, we've only been on 6 cruises but all have had kids on them. I don't recall any incidents. In fact, on a couple of cruises there were groups who were notably polite. In one case I witnessed several teens on an elevator who vacated it so a couple on scooters could use it on a busy night. Last year on Silhouette I was waiting for my wife to finish cosmetic shopping when a group came up on a human scavenger hunt. "Sir, are you from New Zealand? Please be from New Zealand!!" They were so cute I wish I had been. We just haven't seen kids being issues. That said, we're taking our granddaughters on their first cruise in 2020 - they'd better not change my opinion. :D

I have to say, outside of the obvious YOUTUBE videos to the contrary, I've never seen kids misbehaving on a ship. I certainly can't say that about a LOT of the adults I've seen! We did Oceania & there were NO kids at all. We booked for the food & will be back. This is the reason we switched from Celebrity. I'm sure there are misbehaving kids on most cruises, we just haven't seen any. We do avoid cruises during school vacation time. We did one cruise on Princess a few years back during Feb. school vacation. Quite a few kids from infant to about 18. All were well behaved. Again it was the adults who were pretty gross. It was "Super Bowl" week the first part of our 14 day B2B. Worst behavior I've ever seen on a ship. The second part of the trip, the fans were gone & the trip was great.

We've only done 1 cruise on Solstice March / April this year

I can relate to people trying to get in the elevators while people are still trying to get out... and there were people literally running for the elevator like there wasn't another one for 30 minutes or something

I only came across 1 inconsiderate person - an older female at the Pool Bar.

I was sitting there with my seapass card out, waiting for the bartender to become free (was a busy sunny sea day), when this woman came up, slapped her gold seapass cards on the bar and said in a loud voice "I'll have an Banana daiquiri and a Pomegranate Mojito"... I politely said to the lady that I was next in the queue and she said "you'll just have to wait your turn"

But when the bartender became free, he came to me and asked what I wanted.... you should have seen the look on this womans face!

It seems this thread has turned into the ‘all those rotten kids’ posts. I’m coming up on X cruise #25 and have never experienced out of control kids. out of control adults, you bet. There are legit stories of teens/kids causing troubles, but from my direct experience and talking with others and being on this forum, that isn’t an issue on X except for few/far between happenings.

So if the remote chance of a youth causing an issue on a cruise is a major concern, make the move over to whatever you think will solve that, except of course the real issue is with disruptive adults, isn’t it.

Got it.

Den