Feeling a little guilty!

Dahlia11

I gotta tell you I feel a little guilty about getting on a fancy cruise ship in a couple of days and sailing off into beautiful weather when other folks along the Carolina coast line are fighting to save their homes and their lives. God bless them.

I understand, but it's out of our control and the awareness is just heightened right now. The same thought could be applied to child poverty and the unemployed. Sadly that's happening everyday too but we don't tend to feel guilty about it when cruising. Now you can even more guilty. ;)

Dan

I try to keep the attitude that I am extremely blessed to have the many things and opportunities that have come my way. That way I also know I should always help others whenever I have an opportunity, but I don’t feel guilty when I enjoy life. At any moment I could be the one in need and I would hate to think I didn’t fully enjoy the good times when I could.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best way to look at this is to reverse the situation. If it was you in the mess on the coast, would you wish and/or expect others to give up their planned vacations because of your situation? While we don't know each other, i'm certain you wouldn't feel that way. These types of situations force us to think of things in ways we usually don't have to in normal days.

We were at a resort in Jamaica the year of a bad Mississippi River flood. A couple there said their house was presently under water. There was nothing they could do, rushing home wasn't going to make the water go away. So, they stayed and tried to enjoy their vacation before dealing with their mess. Now thats a perspective.

Some very random thoughts....

Help out a resident of one of the islands you may visit, give an extra big tip to staff somewhere. Give extra thanks to the staff. You can't always help in a situation directly, but you can use that as an impetus to make your little piece of the world a bit better.

Send a check to a charity like the Red Cross or other relief organizations. Maybe send a check to your local fire department; there is always the next disaster they are preparing for. Bake a tray of cookies for your local first responders. Maybe if you are going to somewhere near a Coast Guard station, stop by and say thanks to them. Tell a police officer, "Be Safe".

Someone always posts something like this everytime a disaster of some kind happens. If you really feel that way, then you'll never travel because something happens everyday. Also, the people affected don't care that you are cruising. They have more important things to worry about than your guilt.

When you get home organize your neighbors. Go through your cabinets and closets. Take the sheets and towels from the bottom of the pile that you never seem to use, check your garage, attic, basement for items useful in home keeping,cooking, clean-up, Is there unused furniture in your attic or basement? Call the Salvation Army truck (1-800-SA-TRUCK or. 1-800-728-7825. I THINK). They will pick it up as soon as possible. Or just call them and ask how you can help. God bless you.

OK, the first thought that popped into my head was, "You gotta evacuate SOMEWHERE". Then, I thought that was a little crass of me. I agree with some of the other posters here: get online and donate specifically to the relief efforts in the Carolinas. A local church you know of? Catholic Charities? Red Cross? Salvation Army?

What goes around, comes around.

We’ve spent months dealing with horrible fires destroying thousands of homes along the West Coast. I’ve had players at work lose their homes, friends lose homes and cars and everything. Was very happy that one two players who lost homes last month actually won cruises we were giving away. They are thrilled and ready for a break. They know we also have cruises booked and as they said, you never know when it’s your turn so go enjoy and enjoy your life, yes the whole thing sucked and will for a while but not going on vacation isn’t going to help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fact that you even posted this shows you are a good person. We all sometimes take for granted out lives and everything we have. Make a donation to Hurricane relief and enjoy yourself because you deserve to have a good time as there is always suffering in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I gotta tell you I feel a little guilty about getting on a fancy cruise ship in a couple of days and sailing off into beautiful weather when other folks along the Carolina coast line are fighting to save their homes and their lives. God bless them.

Nice virtue signalling. How does you going or not going on a cruise affect them?