Eurodam MDR closed for dinner?!

dntw8up

Hi all -

I boarded the Eurodam today for an 18 day cruise. I just got tomorrow’s When & Where and the main dining room is closed for dinner. I’ve never been on a ship that closes the MDR for dinner. Yes, it’s an 11pm departure tomorrow, but it’s an 11pm departure today too, and the MDR is open. Should I expect the MDR to be closed for dinner on all days with an 11pm departure?

Not that I’ve noticed.

The MDR was busy tonight, and I’m not looking forward to an embarkation lunch crowd overwhelming the lido for dinner tomorrow night. It’s not a big deal, and I know we won’t go hungry, but now I’m wondering if there will be more scaled back service surprises of this sort.

Not that I’ve noticed.

The MDR was busy tonight, and I’m not looking forward to an embarkation lunch crowd overwhelming the lido for dinner tomorrow night. It’s not a big deal, and I know we won’t go hungry, but now I’m wondering if there will be more scaled back service surprises of this sort.

There must be something missing here. Where is Eurodam tomorrow? Where were you today?

I'm on the same sailing and it's clearly been omitted from when/where although feel it has got to be an error. We're sitting in Seattle tonight and MDR was in full swing, only difference tomorrow is we'll be sitting in Victoria instead.

Just did a two-day Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver on the Amsterdam. Departed Seattle at 11pm, and the next day also left Victoria at 11pm (similar to what the Eurodam is currently doing before starting its Hawaii itinerary round trip from Vancouver). Dining room open on both nights, at usual times, fixed and open seating. Something sounds not right, and if I were on board I would be questioning the front desk, Neptune concierges, Guest Relations Manager, and Hotel Director, etc.

It could be there was an issue in the Main Dining Room Kitchen. On one of my cruises, there was a small fire in the MDR Kitchen, which cancelled lunch & tea service for a day at sea. It could be there was a similar issue on this cruise that meant there could not serve dinner, but it will be able to be fixed while they are in port.

We have done that Seattle -- Victoria, etc., situation several times.

Dining room was open but no assigned sitting on those 11 PM departures. Only the lower part of the dining room was open. They expected many people to be touring Victoria and having dinner elsewhere.

But it was not completely closed.

Very strange.

OP, we have had late departures as well and overnights and I've never seen the MDR not be open.

This is very strange indeed. There has to be a reason. If you get an explanation (and I would be asking if I were in your shoes) please do come back and let us know.

OP

I just went back and read WCB's Live report. They are on the same cruise as you.

In Ketchikan their waiter informed them that the next evenings dinner -- Victoria -- would be Open Seating only on the lower level. Only fixed dining would be closed.

So the dining room was not completely closed.

That's what I thought too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP

I just went back and read WCB's Live report. They are on the same cruise as you.

In Ketchikan their waiter informed them that the next evenings dinner -- Victoria -- would be Open Seating only on the lower level. Only fixed dining would be closed.

So the dining room was not completely closed.

Thanks KK - that makes sense :)

We've always had fixed Main seating on HAL, and have run into this a couple of times but I cannot be sure which ports were involved. However, I do recall that it was when the ship was in port late (11 p.m. or so) and I think part of it had to do with the possibility that a number of passengers might choose to dine in port and not on the ship.

My memory is vague on this but I'm thinking that maybe San Juan and Curacao were the two ports where we experienced this happening? We were still able to dine in the MDR but as others have stated, it was an open seating arrangement within a set time frame - there were certain sections of the MDR open and we were seated at a table that was different than our assigned table and we did not have our usual waitstaff.

Why is it when someone asks a question that someone else doesn't like or agree with, they're labeled a troll? There's nothing about the OP's post that leads me in that direction. I thought the post and replies have been informative.

Roz

Back when we first caught the cruising bug (1980's forward) it has usually been the case on HAL and Princess that "open seating" was standard for the first day of sailing and for ports in Europe and the Caribbean with late scheduled departures. Sounds like that procedure has remained in place.

Curious as to whether the specialty restaurants are open in these late departure situations. :confused: We were planning to dine at the PG on the evening that Eurodam is in Puerto Vallarta until 11pm on our upcoming Mexican Riviera cruise.

Does anybody know?