Bring my own coffee ?

Bishop Geils

32 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Why so much drama about the question? With a French press or a Melitta-type pour over brewer all the OP would have to ask for is water that is boiling or close to it similar to what is provided for tea.  No one would raise an eyebrow if a passenger brought his/her own tea. 

This has been suggested. OP wants to give one serving of coffee grounds to RC and ask them to brew his coffee separately for him - that’s what the fuss/answers are about!!!  Please read original post. 

43 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

This has been suggested. OP wants to give one serving of coffee grounds to RC and ask them to brew his coffee separately for him - that’s what the fuss/answers are about!!!  Please read original post. 

I read the original post and the responses.  After it was reasonably explained why it wouldn't work some posters offered suggestions on how the objective could be achieved while others piled on the OP. They demanded to know if her/she was "kidding," saying "just buy the coffee," laughing at the OP or implying if they could "deal with" shipboard coffee for "one week" the OP should too.

What the OP sought wasn't unreasonable.  How he planned to go about it was a bit offside but hardly deserving of lectures that he should "just buy the coffee" that's provided and "deal with it." 

The OP has been a member here since 2014 but not posted much.  To conclude he is a troll one would have to accept the dubious proposition that he waited four years just to troll about coffee.

There are posters on this site who resort to smuggling booze on to cruise ships in little plastic bags they buy on Amazon because they claim their tipple of choice isn't available on board. It is entirely possible that someone is equally attached to a specific coffee. 

1 minute ago, K32682 said:

The OP has been a member here since 2014 but not posted much.  To conclude he is a troll one would have to accept the dubious proposition that he waited four years just to troll about coffee.

There are posters on this site who resort to smuggling booze on to cruise ships in little plastic bags they buy on Amazon because they claim their tipple of choice isn't available on board. It is entirely possible that someone is equally attached to a specific coffee. 

The idea of the OP only posting twice in four years was never a consideration for my comment. 

How would  the coffee  bar workers know if something had b een added to the coffee  grounds, something such as powder from bottom of a tin or jar of nuts??     Put that  in their coffee  maker and that could  be real trouble   for a guest  with a 'nut allergy' getting coffee from that pot   Could be  very, very  bad situation.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:06 AM, pacruise804 said:

Can't passengers get hot water from room service for tea?  I know it's not super hot, but likely warm enough for instant coffee and hot cocoa.

If not, pack a thermos to get hot water from lido the night before.

Instant coffee is not coffee and is not drinkable.

DON

• Like 1

7 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

My dad always said that too (and he could drink almost any coffee), but found the singles that look like tea bags to be a big step above the old crystals.  It sounds like the Starbucks instant packs are decent too.

On 10/19/2018 at 7:18 PM, sail7seas said:

previously posted by underwtr;  

No one has suggested bringing a heating device.. 

On 10/19/2018 at 7:18 PM, sail7seas said:

There is a certain logic that   could  lead to  the 'brilliant' idea to bring a heating device.

Is it inadviseable to have an independent  thought?

Edited by sail7seas

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Yes, they can get a   carafe of hot  water from room service    but it is not  truly hot  enough  IMO

On 11/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, K32682 said:

Absolutely people are attached to their coffee😱. Just Google coffee aficionado and there is a whole community that is obssesed with their coffee😜. They know what they like and how they like and won't settle for anything else. It is perfectly normal to them to travel with their own beans, grinder and some sort of small coffee maker just so they can have access to their favourite coffee😳.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Absolutely people are attached to their coffee😱. Just Google coffee aficionado and there is a whole community that is obssesed with their coffee😜. They know what they like and how they like and won't settle for anything else. It is perfectly normal to them to travel with their own beans, grinder and some sort of small coffee maker just so they can have access to their favourite coffee😳.

That's fine, except that with most - if not all - cruise lines you cannot bring any type of coffee maker that is electric and has a heating element in it on board as it is a fire hazard, and as such would be a prohibited item.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That's fine, except that with most - if not all - cruise lines you cannot bring any type of coffee maker that is electric and has a heating element in it on board as it is a fire hazard, and as such would be a prohibited item.  

The coffee fancier doesn't need to bring a maker with a heated element.  All he needs is a French press or pour over maker and water that is boiling or close to it which he should be able to get from the bar/dining room staff.  

27 minutes ago, K32682 said:

The coffee fancier doesn't need to bring a maker with a heated element.  All he needs is a French press or pour over maker and water that is boiling or close to it which he should be able to get from the bar/dining room staff.  

As others have mentioned, hot water availability from the staff?  Most likely.  Boiling?  Doubtful.  And in either case it would then need to be transported to the stateroom.  Many buffets will have hot water dispensers for use with their teas and that may work as a source. But then I guess you would need to take the press with you there. Still seems like a lot to go through for a cup of coffee, IMO.  But then I am not a fancier.

9 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Unlike tea, boiling water is undesirable for coffee making (or so I'm told). 

The optimum temperature is around 200F for a French press or pour over.  The usual practice is to boil the water and wait 60 seconds or so before pouring. 

• 1 month later...

Coffee fanatic here.. I was planning to bring my coffee with filters and pour over but I may rethink and just get the Starbucks via packs. Not my favorite but I need my fix when I wake up. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Part of traveling is to experience things different from the ordinary;  that is why it strikes me as a bit contradictory to go to too much effort to bring all the comforts of home along while traveling.  Sure, if it can be done relatively easily - like bringing your favorite teabags, why not?   But, when it comes to bringing appliances like grinders and brewing gear, and bags of favorite beans, it seems a bit excessive.