Clothes line

We don't bring one. On Princess there is one across the shower. Not real long but okay for occasional use. We have sailed enough with Princess to get free laundry as a perk. Princess also has self service laundry rooms on all ships.

As others have said, there's one across the shower - a retracting line. On every cruise ship I've ever sailed.

Pull it from its location on the shower wall to a hook on the opposite shower wall.

To get travel wrinkles out of your clothes, hang them on hangers on that line, turn the shower on & close the shower curtain for 5 minutes to steam out the wrinkles.

Make sure that the shower is pointed away from the clothes before you turn it on :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

We've been on a couple of lines that don't have a clothes line in the shower. And don't have a laundry room for passenger self use. For those ships we bring a length of sturdy twine and a couple of heavy duty magnets with hooks (rated to hold 40 pounds). That's good for a week's  worth of underwear and a few t shirts. I find that clothes hung in the cabin dry much faster than in the shower - probably due to better air circulation. And it only takes a minute to put up or take down the line. Amazon has all kinds of travel clotheslines.

• Like 1

We do take advantage of HAL's laundry.  But there are delicate items I will not send out.  Only the Pinnacle Suites do not have a clothes line.

Many years ago when we use to have luggage stores that sold all kinds of travel items, I found a clothes line that had 8 clips already on it.  Great for doing 4 quick items.

When I decided to do all our laundry on a 26-day TransAtl/Med, I bought this:

Travelon Clothesline

in addition to the retractable one on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I did use dollar-store clothespins not the twist system, then just threw out the ones that hadn't already broken at the end. The snap-hooks on the Travelon clothesline just reached from safety grip-rail to some other hook (can't remember exactly); I didn't use the suction cups. If doing a sink-load of handwash, the retractable one if there is one, may not be enough space!

Now, would I recommend doing ALL your laundry on a month's cruise? Not so much! My rationale at the time was that I didn't want most of my clothes dried in a dryer... but my new plan on longer cruises is to wash only small and easy things, and those that would break my heart if they shrank at all -- let the laundry have my DH's nylon-poly shirts and pants, and write in "warm or cold wash, low dry" for the rest.

I have a couple of delicate tops that need to be dried naturally, not in a clothes dryer. On our last cruise I brought some inflatable clothes hangers with thin metal hooks which could be hooked into the air-con outlet. They worked perfectly. The inflatable arms meant that the front and back of the tops didn't stick together so they dried quite quickly. And, of course, they don't take up much space in my luggage when deflated.

21 hours ago, mom says said:

We've been on a couple of lines that don't have a clothes line in the shower. And don't have a laundry room for passenger self use. For those ships we bring a length of sturdy twine and a couple of heavy duty magnets with hooks (rated to hold 40 pounds). That's good for a week's  worth of underwear and a few t shirts. I find that clothes hung in the cabin dry much faster than in the shower - probably due to better air circulation. And it only takes a minute to put up or take down the line. Amazon has all kinds of travel clotheslines.

I like this idea.  We run/work out during the cruise and those clothes need rinsed out as well as swimwear (including rash guards) after snorkeling excursions.  We find the shower line to be too small for all our stuff, and takes too long to dry.

We have a drying rack that fits in the larger suitcase, but are trying to downsize the amount of luggage we bring.  We thought about making our own rack with pvc pipe that would break down into small pieces, but the magnets and line should work much better (and probably cheaper too).

I like the braided rubber clotheslines with velcro loops on the ends, like these https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Clothesline-Size/dp/B003MU9JZC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1495314684&sr=8-4&keywords=travel+clothesline

I've had no luck getting the suction cups to stay attached once clothes are put on the line.  Nite Ize twist ties work well for attaching the line to fixtures in the bathroom.    

https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-GTBA-A2-R8-Original-Assortment/dp/B00SHBO2Q2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541107921&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=nite+ize+gear+tie&psc=1

If you don't like pruned hands, and who does,  the Scrubba wash bag works really well, and you can use it as a dry bag in your daypack while off the ship.

https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Wash-Bag-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B01N68XF0O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541111681&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=scrubba+portable+laundry+system&psc=1

I bought that Scrubba for a camping-trailer trip and then never used it. It hasn't made the cut for any of our carry-on only trips, but it still seems an ingenious idea. I will find a way to get it to the ship when we leave for 28 days (!) from our "home port"!

If I'm cruising on a ship that I KNOW has a pull-out line in the shower, I don't bother packing my own. But, Celebrity's Solstice Class did away with that particular feature. I found a very good travel clothesline at REI, several years ago. It stretches to fit a tub enclosure, and has the option of suction cups or velcro bands, for attachment. No clothespins needed, either. 😎

1 hour ago, jlp20 said:

Never found two permanent points in a cabin that allowed anything to be attached. Pretty sure they were designed that way.

Are the walls considered permanent points? Perhaps we've just been lucky,  but we've always found magnets with hooks on them have worked every time.

16 hours ago, mom says said:

Are the walls considered permanent points? Perhaps we've just been lucky,  but we've always found magnets with hooks on them have worked every time.

Rare earth magnets are relatively new. Old school here, learned how to use hangers and furniture if needed.