Living on the Edge with vtcruising!: A Live Review!

vtcruising

4 hours ago, pl281 said:

Thanks - if you can post a pic that would be great - hopefully it's a little warmer on the ship - it's only in the low 40s this morning in the West Palm Beach area

Philip

I’m laying in the sun - windy but the Retreat deck has high glass so comfortable - frozen drink in hand. They got  a foot of snow at home and the power went off. This is great!!!

image.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Did I mention the handwahing center in the OVC? Instead of purell they have a nice hand washing area. So cool!

5A0BF748-8C8B-4D56-9E87-DDB975F75DAE.thumb.jpeg.7b52719a40a27528e9dae7b235d741e3.jpeg

489ED8A9-ED4B-411E-8EEB-2251EEB4664D.thumb.jpeg.85ae697b3c9a2804f66db6838dda0ffa.jpeg

I was hoping they incorporated something like this. I know they have something similar on the Symphony of the Seas, so figured they would go this route. Even Carnival has a hand washing unit next to the buffet entrance and burger line.

Marilyn your CC famous, so expect to be approached by anyone that reads these boards. Have so much fun, hate that our paths won't cross, I believe you cancelled the cruise we were sharing.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Better yet..dh thought it might be port property. .Broward Couny..Maybe u could file a report at port authority and can call a Fla atty..some specialize in stuff like that..some even on back of  tourist benches..ha....

In some states there is  usually a short time frame to preserve your rights..but who knows if you might need more med  care ???

..this is just a thought  and  not  legal advice in any  way but couldn,'t hurt  to check it out.

Thanks for the advice. 😀

The safety officer from ship has interviewed us both and asked what we thought could prevent this. My DH let them know!

Just went to my suite and there was another bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries from GR. 2 bottles and so little time - party at our place this afternoon !!

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

VTcruising you are solid and a very loyal Celebrity Cruiser.  We are so lucky to have had you on this website journey.   Your contributions have been over and beyond the causes of duties.

This new ship, The Edge owes you so much for your contributing to her beginning threads, photos, and a totally new Edge spreadsheet , that have been enchanted by your thoughtfulness. Thanks You.

Now I know where my cabin is located because of your red circle️.

Edited by cruise47

2 hours ago, hcat said:

... it might be port property. .Broward County..Maybe u could file a report at port authority...

I was going to mention that.  hcat is right, it can't hurt to try.  I know you are not out to get rich from it, but if they will waive your EMT costs and cover the onboard medical center fees, both now and on the 1st, then it will work out ok for you.  Just ask.  The worst answer you can get is 'no', but if you don't try, you won't ever get a 'yes'!

Glad you are feeling better today, and I hope you have fun despite your injuries.  We are all pulling for you and wishing you well.

Regarding the hand washing stations at the OVC, they are very nice, but the problem is getting people to use them.  It is difficult enough to get the hand sanitizer used, but at least someone can essentially block entry into the area by standing at the door and dispensing it to everyone.  Once it is on your hands, you almost have to rub it around to get rid of it, and that works.  However, to get everyone to stop and wash their hands WELL, is another problem.  (I believe you are supposed to wash thoroughly for 2 minutes) You know that is not going to happen.  So, even if we all wash well, not everyone else will, and there you go... germs passed.  The only way to get it controlled on a personal basis, is to get your food, put it down at your table, then go wash before you eat it.  That way, you have not touched something anyone else did before you touch your own food.  Just a suggestion.

Did anyone else notice that the bar stools in the Retreat area outdoors (at least I think that is where the photo was taken by VT) do have the horizontal foot bars on them?  And, remember back a long while ago, there was a conversation about those white plastic chairs that were being used by the folds in Blu to hang those chandelier icicles?  Well, aren't those the white chairs at the tables under the roofed-over area in that Retreat outdoor area?  Just wondering.

The only thing I would say about the lack of foot rests on the bar stools is that it would be not only uncomfortable for those of us with shorter legs, but it can be unhealthy because having your feet dangling off the edge of a chair without support can compromise the circulation in your lower legs.  That is a very bad thing to do.  I wonder why no one at X thought about that.  Design has to be ergonomically comfortable and efficient and medically safe, too.  

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks Michelle! Yes, we will need to have extra security around the faceless ones when hcat is onboard.😉

i think I’ll head up to the Retreat for s continental breakfast. I’ll let you know how it is. 😀

I promise  not to harm the faceless ones..Might even take a selfie if I meet one I want to befriend!

Continue to enjoy your day!  Glad you did not let cruise  be ruined by the injury you sustained,,,You are a true EDGIE!

Ps.. I would request and retain copies of all reports you are asked to sign or are shown, as well as any releases, and med file, And take some photos of you for your files.   Just a thought.,,

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Thanks for asking!!! Yes I am doing better - sore all over and my face is a mess but I am feeling sooooooo lucky.  I hit the window frame pretty hard and there was a ton of blood - I was nervous about developing an intracranial hemorrhage but think that risk has passed. 

The doctor will check me out this morning and had said to get the stitches out in 5 days. I said That I would be back on board in 5 days and she said “great, I’ll take them out. It’s better to have the same person do it anyway.” So I have a date when I board on the 1st to have my stitches out. You can’t make this stuff up!! 

The bill is on my account. It was $589, I think. Much cheaper than my ER at home. I was lucky because this MD has a lot of suturing experience and said she was good at it. She gave me the choice of steri strips and glue (<$200)or the sutures, saying the outcome would be much better with suturing (it’s in the middle of my forehead). Seemed like a no brainer. They were excellent to deal with - I will bring them some maple syrup this morning.😉

Everyone has been so nice. I have had calls from so many X  people, asking what they can do. I may ask for the ship model in the gift shop $55 or the crystal one that is $120. To make me feel better. 😉

I say go for crystal, for sure!

Happy to hear you are feeling better...

Continue to enjoy.

All the best and bon voyage

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

I promise  not to harm the faceless ones..Might even take a selfie if I meet one I want to befriend!

Continue to enjoy your day!  Glad you did not let cruise  be ruined by the injury you sustained,,,You are a true EDGIE!

Ps.. I would request and retain copies of all reports you are asked to sign or are shown, as well as any releases, and med file, And take some photos of you for your files.   Just a thought.,,

Thanks! Great idea! I took a selfie. I wish I had thought to ask the MD to shape my scar like an E. 😉

• Haha 1

VT - If you have the balcony doors are open and the window is down,  does that automatically turn off the AC to save energy?  I'm assuming it does, and if I my assumption is correct, does the AC stay on if the balcony doors are open, but the balcony window is up?

Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, is the handwashing station located outside the OVC?

Hi VTcruiser

Your posts make me smile. You have had a terrible experience but are still up beat and getting on with things and haven't spent all of your posts moaning about the cruise line. Would love to meet you one day and sail on the same cruise. :-)

Hope you don't mind me asking, but we are in cabin 8292 in August which is at the back of the ship, on starboard just above an outdoor area that seems to come from Eden. We have asked Celebrity numerous times what this area was going to be and have been guaranteed that it will not be noisy. (Have that in writing). I'm just a bit worried incase it is though. Don't suppose you know what it is. IF this makes any sense

Anyway, the main priority is that you take care

x

4 minutes ago, ecslady said:

VT - If you have the balcony doors are open and the window is down,  does that automatically turn off the AC to save energy?  I'm assuming it does, and if I my assumption is correct, does the AC stay on if the balcony doors are open, but the balcony window is up?

Also, it's hard to tell from the picture, is the handwashing station located outside the OVC?

Good questions..esp about the A/C

As for the open trough  sink area...with all those handles,  it looks like a germ incubator  to me.  Also looks like a good place to have clothes splashed on...

We wash before and after meals and carry our own sanitizers. We'll pass on the sinks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kearney said:

Another thought... I had some minor facial surgery and the doctor prescribed something called bioCroneum to prevent scaring (ti worked well for me). I got this from the surgeon's office, so not sure it is available... but you might ask about that or mederma or other scare prevention cream. Also... you should use sunscreen on the area after stitches removed. bioCroneum does have sunscreen in it. 

Hi Marilyn -    First remedy for healing is a great attitude and you have it in spades!   🙂

My Doctor recommended these and I had good results with them.   Mine were not this brand but a silicone sided "bandaid" just like these.  https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/scaraway-scaraway-silicone-scar-sheets-1.5-inch-x-3-inch-1.5x3-inch/ID=prod6019237-product 

Also pure Vitamin E oil or gel.   

THANK YOU for all the great photos and commentary.    

Joe

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hcat said:

….

As for the open trough  sink area...with all those handles,  it looks like a germ incubator  to me.  Also looks like a good place to have clothes splashed on...

We wash before and after meals and carry our own sanitizers. We'll pass on the sinks!

I think most people will pass on the sinks.  I think the hand washing station will be one of the most under utilized areas of the ship.

I think the hand washing station is a great idea.  I can do a better job of getting my hands clean than with gel.  Also, some germs are not killed with hand sanitizers.  Having said that, I carry my own gel and use it after getting food and before eating.  Re: the handles being a germ incubator...use a paper towel to turn the water off like you do in any public restroom.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beachbunny6 said:

Regarding the hand washing stations at the OVC, they are very nice, but the problem is getting people to use them.  It is difficult enough to get the hand sanitizer used, but at least someone can essentially block entry into the area by standing at the door and dispensing it to everyone.  Once it is on your hands, you almost have to rub it around to get rid of it, and that works.  However, to get everyone to stop and wash their hands WELL, is another problem.  (I believe you are supposed to wash thoroughly for 2 minutes) You know that is not going to happen.  So, even if we all wash well, not everyone else will, and there you go... germs passed.  The only way to get it controlled on a personal basis, is to get your food, put it down at your table, then go wash before you eat it.  That way, you have not touched something anyone else did before you touch your own food.  Just a suggestion.

Science has proven (and even X officers have admitted) that Purell and other hand sanitizers don’t kill germs. Aside from that there are some of us who are allergic to Purell. 😉 The best defense is hand washing. The washing stations are a great idea, but as we all know not everyone will use them correctly or even at all. At least it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, first mate said:

I think the hand washing station is a great idea.  I can do a better job of getting my hands clean than with gel.  Also, some germs are not killed with hand sanitizers.  Having said that, I carry my own gel and use it after getting food and before eating.  Re: the handles being a germ incubator...use a paper towel to turn the water off like you do in any public restroom.  

If we want to talk about “germ incubators”, the serving utensils at every station, in every dish of food is at the top of my list. I have seen people standing in line waiting to serve themselves eating food off their plates with their fingers, then picking up the serving utensils! But I digress...

Back to the enlightening discussion of the Edge. 😁

• Like 1

C-Dragons:  "The best defense is hand washing", so true.  If people don't believe that, Google it and find all the germs that don't get killed by sanitizers.  I probably will be one of those people going back to the washing station to wash again before eating. Yes, I am a hand washing fanatic but maybe because I"m a nurse.  If people see others using the hand washing station, they may realize it's a good idea and use it, too...herd mentality. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, first mate said:

Thank you! This is exactly what I was about to post. And this is exactly what I always do, with or without hand washing stations. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Science has proven (and even X officers have admitted) that Purell and other hand sanitizers don’t kill germs. Aside from that there are some of us who are allergic to Purell. 😉 The best defense is hand washing. The washing stations are a great idea, but as we all know not everyone will use them correctly or even at all. At least it is a step in the right direction.

Since I am not a fan of those Purell-type hand sanitizers, I have mixed feelings.  I know they are not strong enough to actually kill all germs, but I also believe there is very little chance to get people on cruise ships to stop at an open-to-the-public (as it were) hand washing station, and also I agree about getting splashed by everyone around you.  That is just not a good idea, but it is a try in the right direction.  

I am in agreement in that I, too, wash before meals, then touch nothing on the way to the buffet line, so at least I feel like I am doing my part to help the situation.  Trouble is, most others will not, so other than those of you here on this board, we are all at the mercy of the germ police, and have to trust that they will do all they can to keep us safe.  Get your flu shot, everyone!  Maybe that will help.  :classic_wink:

Vt - hope you are having a good day!

~Barbara~

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

If we want to talk about “germ incubators”, the serving utensils at every station, in every dish of food is at the top of my list. I have seen people standing in line waiting to serve themselves eating food off their plates with their fingers, then picking up the serving utensils! But I digress...

Back to the enlightening discussion of the Edge. 😁

Yes, that is gross.  That is why we have to wash again before eating.  It's a pain in the neck, but if we eat in the buffet area, it goes with the territory.  Cruising with so many people in close contact is a risk for getting sick.  But we can try to stay healthy on our vacation.  

12 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Since I am not a fan of those Purell-type hand sanitizers, I have mixed feelings.  I know they are not strong enough to actually kill all germs, but I also believe there is very little chance to get people on cruise ships to stop at an open-to-the-public (as it were) hand washing station, and also I agree about getting splashed by everyone around you.  That is just not a good idea, but it is a try in the right direction.  

I am in agreement in that I, too, wash before meals, then touch nothing on the way to the buffet line, so at least I feel like I am doing my part to help the situation.  Trouble is, most others will not, so other than those of you here on this board, we are all at the mercy of the germ police, and have to trust that they will do all they can to keep us safe.  Get your flu shot, everyone!  Maybe that will help.  :classic_wink:

Vt - hope you are having a good day!

~Barbara~

They have these hand washing stations on Harmony, and there is a crew member stationed in front of it corralling people in to the hand washing area before they eat. True, some people will just keep walking through without washing, but for the most part, at least when I was there, people washed their hands. Now whether they washed thoroughly for an adequate amount of time to actually kill germs is another story...