A New Twist on Chair Hogs

I'm sure there are others like me who enjoy settling down with a book in the afternoon in the Viking Crown Lounge (or whatever they call the disco on the ship of the moment). On the Snowbird Migration cruise, this was not an option. Go up there on any given afternoon and all chairs were spread with personal belongings with very few people in attendance. Since this was the overflow for the Diamond Lounge, I can only surmise there were some very determined people to ensure they had reserved optimal seating for the evening.

It's a regular problem, been doing that sailing for years now, actually still on the ship finally getting off in 3 days. But 15-20yrs ago at most you'd have 6-8 Diamonds on a Prime new ship sailing, now many many including the newer Upper Tier Diamond Plus and Pinnacles. Back then was required Jacket/Tie but got to sit/take over the Crown Lounge with Captain, Chief Engineer, Cruise Director and other Heads. Was always a one on one or two...

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I will handle these hogs the same way I handle

the “pool side” variety. Pick up the unattended items and move them out of my way. 

Me too.   Probably to a far corner somewhere on the floor.

Edited by bouhunter

Wow...I can see the normal personal belongings near the pool...just in case they actually ARE in the pool and returning in a few minutes (which would not make them a chair hog..yet anyway)....but in the VCL?  What?...did they go to the bathroom and fall in or something?  😮 

I should think in that case, if no one shows up within 10 minutes, I would simply gather their stuff and bring them to the bar, or the concierge, or even GS to turn them into the lost and found.  I should hate to think those poor people would forget where they put their stuff and are desperate to find them...poor things.  😉 

• Like 7

I was on the same cruise and saw the same as you. Would go up to the DL and see books reserving seats at 3.30pm. On formal nights you’d see numerous people up there in formal gear at 4pm sitting ready for the drinks to start flowing. We’d go at around 6.30pm when a lot of people had left for dinner. We’d stay for a couple of drinks and leave. If we couldn’t find a seat we’d just go to one of the other bars that wasn’t so crowded and enjoy a couple of drinks. 

Jenni 

14 hours ago, leerobbs said:

Just pile them up on another chair hog table.  Let them sort it out.

14 hours ago, leerobbs said:

If they come and question it...in the spirit of Sgt. Shultz...I know nothing.

I'd gather them ALL up, from ALL the chairs, and dump them all in a corner somewhere.  If anyone said anything later, "it was like that when I got here" is all I would say.  

• Like 2

Getting worse every cruise. 

On the snowbird migration there were some 1,207 eligible for the DL happy hour.  Two of the four elevators to the VCL were out of service being upgraded.  The two remaining elevators were like a college frat prank... how many diamonds can you cram into an elevator booth?

People often criticize millennial's for being entitled.  No way... seniors display it much more.    On this cruise the level of entitlement was through the roof, the VCL roof.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

I will handle these hogs the same way I handle

the “pool side” variety. Pick up the unattended items and move them out of my way. 

Same here! This past March we sailed the HOTS, and one morning we were searching for place near the pool area and found 2 chairs with one flip flop on each of them!! I took those flippers and put them some where else, we were there for about 2.5 hrs and nobody came around. But during that cruise we noticed they were "tagging" the chairs with a time on it, if nobody came around they removed the towels or belongings.

5 minutes ago, MTLCRUISER72 said:

Same here! This past March we sailed the HOTS, and one morning we were searching for place near the pool area and found 2 chairs with one flip flop on each of them!! I took those flippers and put them some where else, we were there for about 2.5 hrs and nobody came around. But during that cruise we noticed they were "tagging" the chairs with a time on it, if nobody came around they removed the towels or belongings.

I feel like just moving books isn't enough.  As a book reader and having recently watch the remake of Fahrenheit 451 I hate to say this but dousing in strawberry jam mixed with a red wine soaking may teach lounge hogs to keep their books in their cabin.  Perhaps I'll grab an extra 'breakfast syrup' in the windjammer for this purpose.  

So if any of you would be lounge hogs find your books doused in jam and breakfast syrup (why waste wine?)  you'll know who to thank.  Breakfast is on me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

On another twist, on the Symphony TA last month, people were placing their seapass cards on top of the backs of seats in the auditorium and ice arena to save seats. Very annoying. 

I didn't see that on the Symphony TA.  Wish I had... free drinks!!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, HicksRA said:

On another twist, on the Symphony TA last month, people were placing their seapass cards on top of the backs of seats in the auditorium and ice arena to save seats. Very annoying. 

Hmmm.....If I saw a SeaPass card lying about I would take it to Guest Services....assuming it was lost. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HicksRA said:

*plucks card from seatback*

*flings card to random distant area*

*sits in seat*

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6