To all recent Allure passengers

I was on the Allure 2 years ago and going again in January. Trying to figure out if the dress code enforcement has changed since my last cruise. Two years ago many men wore shorts and nice collared shirts to the dining rooms. The only time someone was turned away with shorts on was on a formal night. I am getting the feeling from some posts I am reading that this may have changed. What have you recent Allure cruisers noticed? I do not want to start a debate but just interested in what others did and saw. Thank you in advance for your input.

19 minutes ago, Sprinkler Guy said:

I was on the Allure 2 years ago and going again in January. Trying to figure out if the dress code enforcement has changed since my last cruise. Two years ago many men wore shorts and nice collared shirts to the dining rooms. The only time someone was turned away with shorts on was on a formal night. I am getting the feeling from some posts I am reading that this may have changed. What have you recent Allure cruisers noticed? I do not want to start a debate but just interested in what others did and saw. Thank you in advance for your input.

Dress suggestions are not enforced, so you will see the full range of attire.  Wear whatever you want.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

From friends and family recently onboard "Just like NCL, do whatever you want" 

Actually, NCL is the only line I have, in person,  seen refuse someone entry to the MDR for dress code reasons in recent history. A late teens / early twenties girl was told her shorts didn't meet the standard, and she would have to change.

There really isn't any dress code because nothing is enforced.  People dress nicely, people dress like slobs, people care what they wear, people don't care what they wear.  

I think that no one backs the employees if they try to enforce the code and if some cruiser complains to headquarters, the enforcer gets in trouble.  If the cruiser doesn't complain, more than likely tips will be removed because it's "my vacation" and I can wear what I want.  That in itself is a problem. So, today's cruisers dress however they want including wearing pool wear into dining areas. There are many blind eyes onboard.

I just got off the Independence of the seas and we were shocked to see people coming to dinner wearing shorts and mentioned this to our waiter and she just rolled her eyes and said.... the times are changing. I guess they are and if you cruise mid level expense cruise lines this is what you can expect. If you don't want to see shorts in the dinning room at dinner time then try silver seas or azamara but eventually they will change too. I remember when people flying used to wear suits, ties or dress shirt with ties but that went away too. casual is the mantra of society now. My opinion.

We were on Allure week of Dec 9th.  On the 2nd formal we were actually surprised - we did not see even on Tux.  I am sure there were some, but we did not see any.  We were up in Schooner's having drinks and I think I only saw 3 women in formals.  I wore a nice cocktail dress and husband were silk slacks/silk shirt.  While we were eating we noticed a group coming in with Tshirts and shorts.  

So I would say it is pretty much dress the way you want and no one is going to say much.

My observation is limited. I’m onboard now. We didn’t actually go in the dining room but the first formal night almost everyone during the promenade reception was dressed formally ( we still dressed up but didn’t eat dinner, we took advantage of the great bars on the promenade instead 😁). Second formal night it felt like hardly anyone was dressed formal but definitely more of the old “smart casual “ that you used to see. 

We just sailed on Allure Dec 2 and 9. During the week of Dec 9, so many men wore basketball type shorts, t-shirts with lettering and sneakers to dinner in CK, that on the 2nd formal night, the Suite Concierge left a phone message to all suites advising that shorts were not allowed that night and men must wear long pants. I spoke to the CK hostess who advised that the dress was getting bad.  After 40+ cruises, I have never seen the men so underdressed on a cruise. We were thrilled when Celebrity went to "Chic" dress as we're tired of lugging formal clothes and prefer a more casual attire, but there is a new level of casual when men look like they're heading to the gym.

3 hours ago, rncruiser said:

Flavio was the Activity Manager. 

He is awesome.  He hosted our meet n mingle and it was the best meet n mingle i have ever been to.  He is funny and energetic.  I remember him on allure in 2017 and he has grown into his role.  

18 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

You’re free to abide by any suggestions you’d like.  That’s why they’re called suggestions.

I get that.  But as we read these conversations, people come here for "permission" to not wear the suggested dress code.  People say "gee if they'd enforce it I'd do it but they don't enforce it."  People come here to wonder "will they turn away if I wear shorts?"  etc.  So heck, if someone is worried about what others think, or being turned away, or being under dressed, why not just abide by the suggested dress code?  Not that hard.  A pair of pants and collared shirt and shoes, now no concerns.  That's all. Just a thought.   By the way "any suggestion?"  No...can't wear a thong bikini to formal night... or can you?😳  

Edited by papaflamingo

Just now, papaflamingo said:

I wasn't necessarily addressing the OP I was only making a random suggestion.

Fair enough; my observations over the past couple of years and observations of friends and family recently is that RCI is very welcoming of "come as you are" in reality, if not in printed material.  

On 12/22/2018 at 8:19 AM, clean1owner said:

Actually, NCL is the only line I have, in person,  seen refuse someone entry to the MDR for dress code reasons in recent history. A late teens / early twenties girl was told her shorts didn't meet the standard, and she would have to change.

Few times was on NCL they would stop shorts/tank tops in Main and Pay dining. Royal will stop them, that I have personally witnessed last 3 yrs. This is usually on Formal nites but not all will be stopped...

Edited by ONECRUISER

So,,, there is nothing to enforce. There is only “Suggested Attire” not a “dress code”. 

We we were on the Allure earlier this year and saw men in shorts sitting next to men in tuxes. 

We were recently on the Symphony and saw no tuxes in our section of the MDR on formal night. 

On 12/22/2018 at 1:09 PM, karena1 said:

We were on Allure week of Dec 9th.  On the 2nd formal we were actually surprised - we did not see even on Tux.  I am sure there were some, but we did not see any.  We were up in Schooner's having drinks and I think I only saw 3 women in formals.  I wore a nice cocktail dress and husband were silk slacks/silk shirt.  While we were eating we noticed a group coming in with Tshirts and shorts.  

So I would say it is pretty much dress the way you want and no one is going to say much.

I wasn’t aware the Schooner Bar ever had a dress code, even when it was enforced. 

Always a fun topic....

I've seen people turned away from the MDR with tank tops, swim suits, etc.    A decent pair of sorts and a golf shirt will likely be OK, but enforcement of any kind is scattershot.    As for "what's right", I think its a function of what your group will think and, if you care, what others will think.   We don't do "formal" nights, but the men in our group usually bring a sport coat and nice pair of slacks for any time we want to get a little dressy.    An average MDR night will be long khakis and a decent collared shirt of some kind.  Our general rule is ties only at weddings and funerals, so none of the men even bring one.    I admire those that want to go full formal, they always look great.   It's just way more clothes than we want to bring on a vacation.