Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

32 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

Deep blue, from my experience in sailing charters (I ran a 60’ white hull and best friends ran a 56’ dark blue hull)....dark blue rarely looks well after cruising in salty ocean water.  The salt clings to the hull making the blue look faded and blotchy.  My friend used to hose down his hull any time he could.

For the engineers, dark colored hulls are a B..ch in the tropical sun. Those AC units work especially hard keeping up.

TY Donut

I didn't even consider the salt-- oh gosh-- it will be expensive to maintain. And Cooling--- yikes

Why oh why would the marine architects do this? OR was this a marketing choice and no one asked the experts regarding upkeep and costs to run the HVAC? 

Edited by Fogfog

On 1/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I've probably sailed on the Oasis class ships at least 25 times because I have a DD that loves the Flow Rider.  My DW and I tried the Silhouette several years ago and we have never looked back  Unless I'm sailing with my DD there's no way I would sail on any of the Oasis class ships (Oasis, Allure, Harmony or Symphony).  I sail in conventional balcony cabins, perhaps the  Oasis class ships are ok if you are sailing in Suites.  I have several issues with the Oasis class ships; the cabins are smaller, there isn't a true Solarium pool on any of the ships, things are more crowded, the shows happen at odd times and requires much more planning, the Ocean View Cafe is much nicer and less crowded than the Windjammer, the MDR food is always cool, there's nothing equivalent to Aqua class and the overall level of service is much less.  If it were a smaller RCL ship I'd say give it a try.  But I would take any Celebrity ship to any caribbean destination rather than the Oasis class ships.

Good Luck

Appreciate your thougths here. We haven't sailed RCCL and have seen the massive ships while on our S class celebrity sailings

Have wondered about the RCCL experience. We had considered the suites there at one point...

26 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

Deep blue, from my experience in sailing charters (I ran a 60’ white hull and best friends ran a 56’ dark blue hull)....dark blue rarely looks well after cruising in salty ocean water.  The salt clings to the hull making the blue look faded and blotchy.  My friend used to hose down his hull any time he could.

For the engineers, dark colored hulls are a B..ch in the tropical sun. Those AC units work especially hard keeping up.

Yep, those dark hulls look beautiful at first.  We have a sailboat with a white hull, our friends hull is black.  Our wine stays much cooler than theirs...😁

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

TY Donut

I didn't even consider the salt-- oh gosh-- it will be expensive to maintain. And Cooling--- yikes

Why oh why would the marine architects do this? OR was this a marketing choice and no one asked the experts regarding upkeep and costs to run the HVAC? 

I will be the first to admit that a dark blue (or the dark green hull I ran), when clean, are stunning.   John kept his 56’ Hull pristine.  In a tropical anchorage I was just another white hull sailboat.  John was unique.

Years later I ran a private 59’ Hinkley, deep emerald green.  I used to wash and wipe down, by hand, the hull before the boss arrived and anytime she showed salt.

i remember one trip the boss wanted to dock her.  He doinked the dock and left a scratch through the green paint. Thankfully I had a Green sharpy to cover the white scratch until we got home.

ok ..... how many blue sharpys will the Summy and Milly carry to touch up Boo Boos.  Hahaha

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fogfog said:

TY Donut

Just like in the design of the EDGE "form over function" as noted on several EDGE threads.  Looks good but not so practical.

50 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Somehow Disney and Azamara have made it work all these years :classic_huh:

Right? I feel like everyone has to look for something to complain about everyday on here. Betcha if they left it white they would complain TOO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you... 😊

I have never seen anyone criticize X before for their choice of colors for their ships. Unreal.

Any mode of transportation put into the sea needs regular maintenance and painting.

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

12 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Right? I feel like everyone has to look for something to complain about everyday on here. Betcha if they left it white they would complain TOO!

11 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Thank you... 😊

I have never seen anyone criticize X before for their choice of colors for their ships. Unreal.

Any mode of transportation put into the sea needs regular maintenance and painting.

People were not “complaining” about the blue hull.  They were making educated comments about the care/maintenance and costs associated with dark hulls.  And, guess who those costs are passed on to  🤔.  Just saying...

18 hours ago, Donut23 said:

I recall reading that there is something special about the paint on Edge. Between the special paint and the micro bubblers installed and the new/old hull shape... the ship trims 40% of their fuel costs. I assume that they are using this same paint on the other ships. I am guessing that the additives to the paint require the paint color to be something other than white... so perhaps that is the reason for the dark blue color. Just a thought

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cluso said:

People were not “complaining” about the blue hull.  They were making educated comments about the care/maintenance and costs associated with dark hulls.  And, guess who those costs are passed on to  🤔.  Just saying...

I did not use the term “complaining”, I said criticizing. Blue hulls are not a new feature to the Celebrity line, but all of a sudden this is an issue that reflects badly on them? It wouldn’t make any difference what color was used, anything placed in the Ocean requires regular maintenance and repainting. Edge does have special paint which will most likely be used on the whole fleet.

And, yes, I am quite aware that all costs associated with doing business are passed on to customers. All those receiving “free perks” when booking a X cruise, are paying for it.

Edited by C-Dragons

33 minutes ago, kearney said:

I recall reading that there is something special about the paint on Edge. Between the special paint and the micro bubblers installed and the new/old hull shape... the ship trims 40% of their fuel costs. I assume that they are using this same paint on the other ships. I am guessing that the additives to the paint require the paint color to be something other than white... so perhaps that is the reason for the dark blue color. Just a thought

I can only speak from my yachting experience and this has been around forever.

We had an ablative bottom paint on the yacht I ran.  Basically teeny/micro/mini amounts of bottom paint would wash off as we moved vs. bottom paint designed to leech the copper/anti-fouling properties requiring you to have boat hauled each year to apply more paint.

Ablative paints are super convenient.  The first layer was blue, then 2 coats of black.  We didn’t have to think of hauling her until the blue paint began to show through - generally longer than conventional paint.

these ships don’t haul out each year.  Their bottoms could be seriously fouled with grass by then.  It’s amazing how much a dirty bottom adversely affects speed.

hummmm......the same could be said for people too!  😲😉

Edited by Donut23
  • Haha 1

Revolution question. I posted this as a thread, but I think all the experts are following this thread!! I read that part of the revolution is to bring the Le Petite Chef experience to Qsine. I'm on Summit post-revolution. Would love to know if that's confirmed. I will definitely reserve a night there if that's the case. What a cool experience!

2 minutes ago, Donut23 said:

I can only speak from my yachting experience and this has been around forever.

We had an ablative bottom paint on the yacht I ran.  Basically teeny/micro/mini amounts of bottom paint would wash off as we moved vs. bottom paint designed to leech the copper/anti-fouling properties requiring you to have boat hauled each year to apply more paint.

Ablative paints are super convenient.  The first layer was blue, then 2 coats of black.  We didn’t have to think of hauling her until the blue paint began to show through - generally longer than conventional paint.

these ships don’t haul out each year.  Their bottoms could be seriously fouled with grass by then.  It’s amazing how much a dirty bottom adversely affects speed.

hummmm......the same could be said for people too!  😲😉

I am not an expert and I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn... just making an assumption based upon the limited info they provided. But what does Disney do to keep their blue hulls looking so nice?  Doesn't HAL have dark hulls as well? They must have some trick to maintaining the luster of their hulls over time.

1 minute ago, kearney said:

I am not an expert and I did not even stay at a Holiday Inn... just making an assumption based upon the limited info they provided. But what does Disney do to keep their blue hulls looking so nice?  Doesn't HAL have dark hulls as well? They must have some trick to maintaining the luster of their hulls over time.

Im sure they have clearcoat over

Our last cruise we were docked next to a ship you mentioned and she looked very shabby.

Celebrity’s blue stripe didn’t always look well either.

Then again, last time we sailed on the Radiance of the Seas her hull looked gastly with rust and paint patches.  It would help if they used the same color white and same type of paint.

i think what will get them will be how they repair Boo Boos......fenders rubbing on mirror finishes will make the shine dull, a ding on the pier, a touch of rust.  

On dark hulls any imperfection shows like a red light on The Block in downtown Baltimore.

20 hours ago, Fogfog said:

TY Donut

They probably did it because when the hulls are happy, they are absolutely stunning.

i have often wondered how NCL hulls look up close.  Now that I think about it, we haven’t been nearby an NCL ship in say, forever.

9 hours ago, printingchick said:

Revolution question. I posted this as a thread, but I think all the experts are following this thread!! I read that part of the revolution is to bring the Le Petite Chef experience to Qsine. I'm on Summit post-revolution. Would love to know if that's confirmed. I will definitely reserve a night there if that's the case. What a cool experience!

When we were on the Constellation last Spring , Qsine was deserted, the food was pretty much a deep fried mess, the whole iPad ordering system seemed antiquated, and no one was there. I’m pretty sure Le Petit Chef is being rolled out fleet wide. But when it happens, I think the Qsine name will either be changed entirely, or expanded into something like “Le Petit Chef At Qsine.”

On 1/31/2019 at 8:17 PM, B-Rizzle said:

I remember I made an honest comment, years ago, about  a Disney World bathroom being smelly.  A very interesting conversation began only to be shut down when the Disney apologists began with snarky comments.

in case you misunderstood my note, perhaps my assurance that it wasn’t a complaint, just observation from my 12 years of professional yachting experience.

Its not news that a dark hull, at the best of times, shows flaws more than a light color.  Also much more work and expense to maintain.

It’s only common sense to realize a dark hull absorbs the heat of the sun and makes the interior more of a challenge to keep cool.

Not complaining.  Just stating facts.

😊😊😊😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Donut23 said:

I remember I made an honest comment, years ago, about  a Disney World bathroom being smelly.  A very interesting conversation began only to be shut down when the Disney apologists began with snarky comments.

in case you misunderstood my note, perhaps my assurance that it wasn’t a complaint, just observation from my 12 years of professional yachting experience.

Its not news that a dark hull, at the best of times, shows flaws more than a light color.  Also much more work and expense to maintain.

It’s only common sense to realize a dark hull absorbs the heat of the sun and makes the interior more of a challenge to keep cool.

Not complaining.  Just stating facts.

😊😊😊😊

B-Rizzle has had TONS of posts removed.

Having seen some of them-- I wonder if it is a child/teen because he/she admits to not having cruised--let alone cruised Celebrity yet is trolling this forum in defense of the Edge and Eden-- because of ?? Family/friends. Makes not sense 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, BarbarianPaul said:

When we were on the Constellation last Spring , Qsine was deserted, the food was pretty much a deep fried mess, the whole iPad ordering system seemed antiquated, and no one was there. I’m pretty sure Le Petit Chef is being rolled out fleet wide. But when it happens, I think the Qsine name will either be changed entirely, or expanded into something like “Le Petit Chef At Qsine.”

Thanks. I went ahead and made a reservation for our Revolutionized Summit cruise in 2020. It was available at the original price and I understand it's more expensive with Le Petit Chef. Figured I'd grab it when it was more affordable.

The problem with adding anything to an existing ship is that it necessarily requires taking something else away (save for tacking on new spaces). 

Making Michael's Club exclusive took it away from everyone else. Adding Luminae on M class took away the M class Murano equivalent.  Adding more Aqua will take away spa space. Making something exclusive for one class will make the experience at least a little bit worse for others. 

• Like 1

The M class Murano equivalent restaurants were replaced by Tuscan Grill, not by Luminae.  Luminae was carved out of the MDR on both S & M class ships.  Blu was also carved out of the MDR on M class.

Except for one ship that had a piano player, Michaels Club never seemed to be busy when it was open to everyone.