Edge/Revolutionized Ships---Hmmm---$$$$

cluso

12 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I will ask GS, but maybe others here will have ideas. 🙂

My thoughts on reading your original post regarding the reward were that you should possibly find someone you trust that is going to sail on Edge and have them hand deliver your reward to Arturo in a Thank You card from you.  That way, if they cannot find him, you will be assured that you will get the money back so you can try again at a later date with someone else.  I know the time is limited before we all cruise on the 20th, but maybe there is someone near you in north-central FL who can do this for you on another voyage.  That way you would know for sure that he did get it.  Just a thought...

Edited by beachbunny6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

My thoughts on reading your original post regarding the reward were that you should possibly find someone you trust that is going to sail on Edge and have them hand deliver your reward to Arturo in a Thank You card from you.  That way, if they cannot find him, you will be assured that you will get the money back so you can try again at a later date with someone else.  I know the time is limited before we all cruise on the 20th, but maybe there is someone near you in north-central FL who can do this for you on another voyage.  That way you would know for sure that he did get it.  Just a thought...

Thanks!  I appreciate your input.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who is planning a trip on the Edge.  Hopefully, I will get it to him!

23 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

This has been an interesting and informative thread, there is no need to acknowledge or respond to risible posts.

(although I myself have been guilty of doing so on the CC Board). 

I agree with those who would have preferred a slower time frame for the start of the "Revolution", now that it clear that the changes seem to primarily entail reducing public spaces and squeezing in more cabins per ship.  We were shipboard for one of the many presentations of the Revolution, some time ago, and I remember thinking "not a minute to soon to completely refurbish this aging fleet of vessels".  Although the price tag revealed at that time, half a billion US dollars, indicated there would be an increase in cruise rates.  I had not imagined the prices would skyrocket like they did on the Edge.  It seems we agree the market will drive adjustments in those currently published fares.  

Not convinced the prices will rise to Edge levels post renovations.  But we will have refreshed cabins and in some cases more cabins.

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Not convinced the prices will rise to Edge levels post renovations.  But we will have refreshed cabins and in some cases more cabins.

Surely, the prices won't jump so high, yet who would have predicted the significant markups on the Edge when compared to other Celebrity ships sailing in similar waters.  A 20% premium, even a  33% premium for a brand new ship with a new cruising concept was what we and most people expected to be asked to pay. 

We are taking a cruise on the Reflection in March, when comparing the per person/per day cost of our cruise (exclusive of taxes, incidentals, insurance, et.al.) to a cruise on the Edge embarking within two days,  in a comparable cabin to the one we purchased, the cost to cruise on the Celebrity Edge is over 200% more. 

While I'm scratching my head trying to comprehend that difference, I am caused to wonder what those refreshed cabins and the remaining refurbished public areas will cost us.  I am writing down current prices for Celebrity cruises now, hard copies, to compare in the coming year to the updated ships' prices. 

Here’s something odd. My wife and I just booked a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the “revolutionized”  Equinox in May of 2020. We thought it would be fun to try a back to back with another cruise ship departing the same day we return from Miami. The only one leaving that day to ports we found interesting is the gigantic Symphony Of The Seas.

We’ve never sailed on Royal Caribbean, and have never had the mega ship experience, so we thought it might be fun, even though we’re well aware of all the issues. We went ahead and booked, but were surprised to discover that the cost of Aqua Class on the Equinox for 10 days was almost identical to the cost for a cabin with a large veranda on the Symphony for 7. Huh? Am hoping the cost will go down for the Symphony over the next year, since all the wave season deals are currently for 2019 cruises, otherwise we might cancel.

55 minutes ago, BarbarianPaul said:

Here’s something odd. My wife and I just booked a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the “revolutionized”  Equinox in May of 2020. We thought it would be fun to try a back to back with another cruise ship departing the same day we return from Miami. The only one leaving that day to ports we found interesting is the gigantic Symphony Of The Seas.

We’ve never sailed on Royal Caribbean, and have never had the mega ship experience, so we thought it might be fun, even though we’re well aware of all the issues. We went ahead and booked, but were surprised to discover that the cost of Aqua Class on the Equinox for 10 days was almost identical to the cost for a cabin with a large veranda on the Symphony for 7. Huh? Am hoping the cost will go down for the Symphony over the next year, since all the wave season deals are currently for 2019 cruises, otherwise we might cancel.

You might be paying more of a premium if kids are out of school, although that usually has more effect after the first week of June.

16 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

We are doing what you booked right now.  We are now on the  mega ship RCCL Harmony and then after 7 days doing Edge both out of FLL.  Harmony was a lot less expensive.  But Symphony just launched so it will be pricey in its first year like Edge. Harmony is nice but it is a crowded amusement park type experience so far.

16 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

I've probably sailed on the Oasis class ships at least 25 times because I have a DD that loves the Flow Rider.  My DW and I tried the Silhouette several years ago and we have never looked back  Unless I'm sailing with my DD there's no way I would sail on any of the Oasis class ships (Oasis, Allure, Harmony or Symphony).  I sail in conventional balcony cabins, perhaps the  Oasis class ships are ok if you are sailing in Suites.  I have several issues with the Oasis class ships; the cabins are smaller, there isn't a true Solarium pool on any of the ships, things are more crowded, the shows happen at odd times and requires much more planning, the Ocean View Cafe is much nicer and less crowded than the Windjammer, the MDR food is always cool, there's nothing equivalent to Aqua class and the overall level of service is much less.  If it were a smaller RCL ship I'd say give it a try.  But I would take any Celebrity ship to any caribbean destination rather than the Oasis class ships.

Good Luck

On 1/15/2019 at 8:54 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

I've probably sailed on the Oasis class ships at least 25 times because I have a DD that loves the Flow Rider.  My DW and I tried the Silhouette several years ago and we have never looked back  Unless I'm sailing with my DD there's no way I would sail on any of the Oasis class ships (Oasis, Allure, Harmony or Symphony).  I sail in conventional balcony cabins, perhaps the  Oasis class ships are ok if you are sailing in Suites.  I have several issues with the Oasis class ships; the cabins are smaller, there isn't a true Solarium pool on any of the ships, things are more crowded, the shows happen at odd times and requires much more planning, the Ocean View Cafe is much nicer and less crowded than the Windjammer, the MDR food is always cool, there's nothing equivalent to Aqua class and the overall level of service is much less.  If it were a smaller RCL ship I'd say give it a try.  But I would take any Celebrity ship to any caribbean destination rather than the Oasis class ships.

Good Luck

We are in a mid level suite (Crown Loft) on Harmony.  The suite experience overall is good but imo not Celebrity level.  I will compare to our mid level CS next week on Edge.  Harmony is about 2 years old.  Our suite is very neutral tone.  Mostly grays with natural wood tones and splashes of light and dark blues.  Pretty nice comfortable furniture and bed.  Balcony came with two loungers and a low round table.  I asked for an upright chair and footrest and they got it for me.  The suite lounge and suite restaurant (Coastal Kitchen) is around the corner from us on deck 17 so set up a lot like Edge Retreat area.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We are in a mid level suite (Crown Loft) on Harmony.  The suite experience overall is good but imo not Celebrity level.  I will compare to our mid level CS next week on Edge.  Harmony is about 2 years old.  Our suite is very neutral tone.  Mostly grays with natural wood tones and splashes of light and dark blues.  Pretty nice comfortable furniture and bed.  Balcony came with two loungers and a low round table.  I asked for an upright chair and footrest and they got it for me.  The suite lounge and suite restaurant (Coastal Kitchen) is around the corner from us on deck 17 so set up a lot like Edge Retreat area.

I'll be interested in hearing your comparison to Celebrity, especially with regard to Coastal Kitchen.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:36 PM, hcat said:

Where are all the S and M class ships going for Carib cruise season?  Any X ship for Port Canaveral? West Coast?

I would like to sail out of Port Canaveral or Tampa with Celebrity.  Would help to make my  traveling decision if price and itinerary are good.

23 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I would like to sail out of Port Canaveral or Tampa with Celebrity.  Would help to make my  traveling decision if price and itinerary are good.

Celebrity doesn't seem interesting in any ports up the coast in Fl, Ga etc

Edited by Fogfog

16 minutes ago, AuburnKT2001 said:

The new plans show 7003 as 2 person only and I am booked in it for 3...???

http://thecelebritycommitment.com/tools_deck_plans.html

The millenium new ones are posted, summit is not, assuming they will be identical?

Was the original reservation made for 3--for a room for 3? All adults or with a child?

I'd be on the phone to ask.

Good luck.

46 minutes ago, AuburnKT2001 said:

The new plans show 7003 as 2 person only and I am booked in it for 3...???

http://thecelebritycommitment.com/tools_deck_plans.html

The millenium new ones are posted, summit is not, assuming they will be identical?

This is really good news to me. The Retreat Sun Deck is using mostly little used space. They are not taking over the Cosmos Lounge for the Retreat. Michael's stays where it is and is being renamed the Retreat Lounge. There should be just as much space available for non-suite passengers as before, unlike on the Edge.  I would imagine the Summit plans will be identical, but who knows? Now, let's see what happens to S- class ships. Thank you very much for this useful link.

3 hours ago, emileg said:

This is really good news to me. The Retreat Sun Deck is using mostly little used space. They are not taking over the Cosmos Lounge for the Retreat. Michael's stays where it is and is being renamed the Retreat Lounge. There should be just as much space available for non-suite passengers as before, unlike on the Edge.  I would imagine the Summit plans will be identical, but who knows? Now, let's see what happens to S- class ships. Thank you very much for this useful link.

Maybe I am missing something

But aren't these deck plans etc current/pre revolutionized in most cases?

I am looking at deck plans on this link and they are fro years ago...

am disappointed Celebrity hasn't been forth coming about Millenium and such...

and we buy without seeing the product

18 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Maybe I am missing something

But aren't these deck plans etc current/pre revolutionized in most cases?

I am looking at deck plans on this link and they are fro years ago...

am disappointed Celebrity hasn't been forth coming about Millenium and such...

and we buy without seeing the product

I’m sorry. But when I click on the Millennium deck plans, it is clear to me exactly what I reported. Look specifically at deck 12 and you will see the Retreat Sun Deck. You will see the new Aqua cabins on Deck 10 starboard of the spa. On Deck 4, Where Michael’s club would be is clearly marked as the Retreat Lounge. Make sure you are looking at the Millie’s deck plans and not one of the other M-class ships. 

Changing the topic a little...my DH and I decided to book a 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise(we usually do not cruise in the Caribbean because we love Europe) for 2020 on Equinox.  That particular ship, has always held a special place for us, after several great experiences!  At first, we Selected our fav, an S1 corner aft.  However, after looking at the price for that, along with the S2 next to it, we noticed a price difference of $800!  Wow, Celebrity has heard so many of us on here saying how much we love those cabins, along with the larger tables etc., so I guess they raised those prices. the difference for me has never been that much.  Anyway, we changed to the S2 because the price was so much cheaper.  The big box store was giving back 10%.  So, we took a chance on the new revolutionalized Equinox in the Caribbean...the price was 8,300, with a 450 dep. & tons OBC.  That certain makes it a little more palatable.  (The big box company is much more of a hassle, but the extra perks were nice!  I still enjoy only having to deal with an online booking, and then a transfer to a TA who does it all; no customer service agents that take up so much of your time getting it wrong, and having to correct them.)  Of course, that is MHO from dealing with them...hope yours has been better.

Compare this to:

Our cruise on Edge for 11 nights in Europe is 8,100, with all 4 perks in an SV, but the itinerary was lovely with the overnight in Trieste and Corfu.  So, yes there certainly is a difference...also a little more OBC added to the 300.  Our first Edge cruise is at the end of April for 15 nights...the best price of all..., but still our most expensive suite to date.

Edited by Lastdance

13 hours ago, emileg said:

I’m sorry. But when I click on the Millennium deck plans, it is clear to me exactly what I reported. Look specifically at deck 12 and you will see the Retreat Sun Deck. You will see the new Aqua cabins on Deck 10 starboard of the spa. On Deck 4, Where Michael’s club would be is clearly marked as the Retreat Lounge. Make sure you are looking at the Millie’s deck plans and not one of the other M-class ships. 

TY

Will do

I was looking at another M ship.....

Finding when I click on the specific ship--even Millenium--that the brochure is dated with last refurb from years ago and the deck plan doesn't show the retreat...

This is dated 2016

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Deck_Plans_Staterooms/Millennium-Deck-plans.pdf

Edited by Fogfog

13 hours ago, emileg said:

The new Aqua cabins really shrink the spa area down.  Tuscan Grill looks cut back too, but maybe it is rarely full.  Losing the iLounge stinks, I thought it brought life to the middle of the ship.  Instead, we get 2 inside cabins!