Grace Period for final payment

HD2003

My brother-in-law was told by a Celebrity customer service rep, that he would be able to make final payment 3 days after the due date because there is a grace period.  I advised that he actually pay no later than due date and that I always pay a few days sooner.  I have never heard of a grace period.  Has anyone ever paid after the final payment and did not have their cruise cancelled?  Our final payment due date is 1/20/19 and I have already paid in full for me and my husband.

Another poster reported asking for and getting an extension on the final payment date because they were waiting on medical test results.

Friends of ours cancelled a cruise, they told us they cancelled but did not notify Celebrity.  They got emails and calls from the CVP for a week after final payment date.  Since we helped them through the booking process with our CVP she even reached out to us before cancelling.

Personally, I would not wait to make final payment after the due date.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

4 hours ago, HD2003 said:

My brother-in-law was told by a Celebrity customer service rep, that he would be able to make final payment 3 days after the due date because there is a grace period. 

I REALLY think your brother-in-law should test the system and not pay by the due date. Maybe wait until the fourth day past and then call up and apologize and try to get that stateroom at the previous price. Especially if he's one of those folks you really don't care to have show up, right? 🙂

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I have never heard of a grace period either.  We book through a big on-line company that charges automatically on their final payment date which is usually a month ahead of Celebrity's.

We have noticed the early final payment requirement also.  When we inquired, we were told it was a group booking, which requires final payment 30  days earlier than normal.  

9 hours ago, HD2003 said:

My brother-in-law was told by a Celebrity customer service rep, that he would be able to make final payment 3 days after the due date because there is a grace period.  I advised that he actually pay no later than due date and that I always pay a few days sooner.  I have never heard of a grace period.  Has anyone ever paid after the final payment and did not have their cruise cancelled?  Our final payment due date is 1/20/19 and I have already paid in full for me and my husband.

Is he booked with Celebrity or a TA? 

9 hours ago, HD2003 said:

They can and will extend your final payment due date very easily when there is a valid reason to do so.  

The most recent time they did it for us was when we were trying to make final payment on the final payment due date and they were having system problems.  (Surprise!)

We called Celebrity and the agent who answered the phone immediately extended our final payment due date by 5 days, as soon as he acknowledged that the system would not accept our payment. 

It only took him a few seconds to extend the date, so apparently it is quite commonplace and done at the discretion of the agent as he did not need to put us on hold or get approval from anyone higher up to do it.

The new due date immediately showed  up in our account, while we were still on the phone talking to him.

Edited by fleckle

18 hours ago, HD2003 said:

Seriously?  Why do you have to be like that?  I know he needs to pay on time, I just need other thoughts to prove to him.  Life's too short to be so mean.

That was a joke. Not everyone gets along with family members, m'dear, and in some cases some folks might not be offended or disappointed if a certain family member doesn't come along, for one reason or another.

No need for a snit. Laugh, love, and enjoy life. I have very few mean bones in my body and don't need to share them here.

I was only asking a question and did not expect that anyone would give me this much flack m'dear.  Nor did I expect anyone would jump to the conclusion - jokingly or not - that I don't get along with or want my brother-in-law to go on this cruise with us.  The 4 of us having been planning this for over one year.  No need for a snit.

I know that on at least one other cruise line they’ll extend final payment if you call and get manager approval. The decision is mostly based on how well the cruise is selling and availability. If it’s a slow seller, they’ll keep the reservation active longer instead of precipitating a cancelation. But if the sailing is selling well, they won’t approve the extension in order to give someone else the chance to fill that spot. 

On 12/31/2018 at 5:54 PM, twodjs said:

I would definitely encourage payment by the due date and be grateful he is not booked on Viking - they are now requiring payment a full YEAR prior to the cruise!

Port Angeles. A beautiful town. Gotta love the sea to summit.