What food does HAL do well?

dundeene

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Whatever....another lecture about how much/what to eat.  

Roz

Not at all - just a reminder that one nutritionally does not "need" much meat to have a balanced diet if one choose to eat a meat inclusive dietary plan, but no lecture at all about being able to enjoy as much as you want.

Eat as much as you want.  Enjoy. Who would ever stop a just 4 ounces at Ruth's Chris Steakhouses?  Yum. (PS- there is one right across from the dock in San Deigo)

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

I'm not a horribly picky eater, and typically don't take much note of food dishes unless something really stands out. These are highlights from our Alaska trip in September on the Eurodam (my first cruise) and overall I thought the food was very good:

Best: Seared Kingfish in the MDR. I think this was my favorite entree of the whole trip. No kidding. Except for a few varieties of fish, we generally don't eat seafood so this was a nice surprise.

Average: NY Pizza.  Based on other's comments I expected better, but it wasn't bad either.

Bad: Taco Bar in the Lido.  No idea why so many people have good comments.  The meat was completely tasteless and other fixings were bland. The average taco bar setup at hotel conferences put this one to shame. But maybe it was a bad day when I tried it.

Inedible: I very rarely ever rate food as inedible and always try to finish what I get, but there was some sort of baked breakfast casserole in the Lido that was absolutely terrible - due to the imitation eggs.

8 minutes ago, MTAK said:

Bad: Taco Bar in the Lido.  No idea why so many people have good comments.  The meat was completely tasteless and other fixings were bland. The average taco bar setup at hotel conferences put this one to shame. But maybe it was a bad day when I tried it.

Sloppy, gooey, crunchy and satisfying - plate of nacho dip - guac, cheese, sour cream, salsa, beans, hot sauce with tortilla chips for dipping.  The whole is greater than the sum of of its rather bland parts. So, your comment is valid - not all offerings at the taco bar are great by any count, but one can put together some great combinations. For snack food. Which can also be nutritionally sound. 

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

IIRC, it was still there on the NA's MDR menu at the beginning of February.

Edited to add that richwmn has posted the dinner menu on his current NA thread and it does indeed include the French Onion Soup on the "available daily" section of the menu.

I wish it had been on Zuiderdam's…..

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Not at all - just a reminder that one nutritionally does not "need" much meat to have a balanced diet if one choose to eat a meat inclusive dietary plan, but no lecture at all about being able to enjoy as much as you want.

Eat as much as you want.  Enjoy. Who would ever stop a just 4 ounces at Ruth's Chris Steakhouses?  Yum. (PS- there is one right across from the dock in San Deigo)

Some get a little testy when something hits close to home...

I would stop at just 4 ounces at Ruth's Chris.  It's a homogenized chain.  Plus, I don't eat the meat - I'll get whatever fish they have on the menu... 😉  Plus, I prefer to "eat local" when possible.  If you want a good slab of beef in San Diego, instead of patronizing a corporate behemoth, wander a little past the dock and go to Cowboy Star.   An entire separate menu of just steak.  Damn good other things, too.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Wrong - I was never negative, though a lot of people were when they were first introduced. In fact I was one of their first defenders once I started enjoying them. I was never a "sandwich" person at lunch before, so I had no loyalty to the loss of custom made sandwich station,  so I think there is a case of mistaken identity here.

Grab and Go sandwiches were another cataclysmic end of HAL forever and ever, and they still have some pretty rabid critics.  But I find them quite quite wonderful and convenient.  And I can't stop at just one half like I promise myself each time I get the chicken BLT. Something really simple like the baguette- turkey and cheese is all the tummy wants when the seas are moving around. It is the really fresh breads that really make Grab and Go sandwiches zing.

I really love them too ... I never a made to order sandwich unless my hubby got it for me as I’m far too introverted for that kind of set up. I can’t do Subway for the same reason. Grab and go is also great for throwing in the fridge for late night munchies after the cocktails too 

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

👍👍👍  Wholeheartedly agree!

• Like 2

I forgot:  HAL does the salad bar really well in the Lido. I can always find enough to make a nice main course salad.  If the fish or chicken looks good, I'll add a little of that to the salad.

When the staff cooks up some Indonesian food - yum!  I noticed this on other cruise lines, also.  

The portobello burger is hit/miss to me.  

Muesli for breakfast...

Kazu - was the filet you loved before or after HAL switched to Double D meat?  Just curious.  That was another discussion in another food thread.  

Here is another enticing dish.   You can't get these on the older HAL ships that don't have Tamarind so if you haven't sailed the newer HAL ships you are missing out !

tamarand2.jpg

Edited by JRG

17 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I dislike the grab ‘n go sandwiches.  I find them quite soggy with an unnecessary amount of sauce.  Perhaps I have been unlucky but I am 0 for 2 so I am not trying another.

The raspberry cheesecake in the Pinnacle Grill is to die for, as is the no-sugar-added Black Forest cake in the MDR.  And I am not a dessert person.

Totally agree with about the already made sandwiches.  We had them on 3 cruises and they were a total disaster.  And there wasn't anyone to make a fresh sandwich for you at that time.  Tons of mustard on one side of the sandwich and tons of mayo on the other side -- making the bread whimpy.  Lettuce whimpy.  Tomatoes not ripe.  DH and I tried them at 3 different times.

• Like 1

Really miss he cold soups -- they were yummy.

Love the lamb chops and filets in the Pinnacle.  Love the Filet and lobster in the Tamarind.  

DH loves the salmon -- anywhere on the ship.

Desserts:

Thai donuts -- Tamarind -- I think they are gone

Fortune cookie -- Tamarind

Mango cloud -- Tamarind

Chocolate Volcano cake -- Pinnacle

Just a start.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Totally agree with about the already made sandwiches.  We had them on 3 cruises and they were a total disaster.  And there wasn't anyone to make a fresh sandwich for you at that time.  Tons of mustard on one side of the sandwich and tons of mayo on the other side -- making the bread whimpy.  Lettuce whimpy.  Tomatoes not ripe.  DH and I tried them at 3 different times.

There were some false starts in the beginning, but they have vastly improved since their introduction a few years ago as they learned what holds up well as a pre-made sandwich and what did not.  Their best feature is no lines and this is where they also keep the little bags of potato chips. 

12 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

There were some false starts in the beginning, but they have vastly improved since their introduction a few years ago as they learned what holds up well as a pre-made sandwich and what did not.  Their best feature is no lines and this is where they also keep the little bags of potato chips. 

We’ll just agree to disagree on this one.  I don’t care for the bulk of them as they are on breads I can’t eat.  

I was really happy last cruise that we had a small choice of made to order sandwiches and even the panini machine was out 😄 

I’m hoping it’s the same this cruise - otherwise my choice in premade sandwiches is very limiting - I know, dietary issue, my problem.  (I’ve seen your posts on dietary issues) It’s simple in the MDR, I just ask for our bread basket to have a couple of buns I can eat.  Lido is easy - just get the one.  But premade sandwiches are mostly on breads I can’t 😞 

Anyone can get a little bag of potato chips - you don’t need to get a premade sandwich for them.

Speaking of the pre-made sandwiches...

Remember when the salad bar used to also offer things like mixed tuna salad or shrimp salad to put on top of or alongside your greens?  I'd have a salad like that just about every day for lunch.

Those special salad mixes are gone, so now I take those soggy pre-made sandwiches, scoop the filing on a green salad, and discard the bread.  All that goop makes a great dressing.  😊

• Like 2

Bread pudding at the lido is wonderful! If you've read the HAL cookbook, you'll know why--all that butter and cream. Yum! Fruit crisps and creme brulee are always reliable. nice variety of ice creams and sorbets at dinner. Cakes not as good. 

I agree with posters who like the lamb. I always order lamb chops or rack of lamb when it's on the menu. Beef was good, and one night I ate in the Lido because they had Yorkshire pudding. Not as good as mine, but pretty good. The onion soup is good. I love the salad bar for lunch and I like to augment it with guac and other things from the taco bar. (I hate that the K has no taco bar) Salads in the MDR often had misleading names. "Apple salad with cranberries and walnuts" was mostly lettuce, with two paper-thin slices of apple and a few cranberries and bits of walnuts on top. From the name, I was expecting something more like Waldorf salad. 

I'm in the "no" camp regarding the pre-made sandwiches. I recently tried the CLT, which I guess was supposed to mean chicken lettuce and tomato,  although the description said "chicken salad."  Two slices of roasted chicken, part of one romaine leaf, and the thinnest possible slice of tomato on mayo-slathered white bread with the consistency of wonder bread. I took it apart and made a half sandwich. This is what it looked like before I reconstructed it.

PWoXOEeidEXfap8LEJNFoRaXiuksuDN0Jg9QS7LomyD_liRMg7MUU9a9lvXuVLusu4INJfgOmJnRrYUOm8gY0xCdQHcR5loaXJqAYS-o9AXb9isHjKguwRi4PhPXIeYet9uxf7DaQiM4a0pm_D5kkRRzYal2wuWyOvqU6jNEhOEV73SZH6xjPtHsm0I68W4rvlh7sfRYad09NAYLWfhT-W4ArrwAjCp4um2gApNf1VhcJV19HNHFIQ2fKaPK6FCfUaAVwj28ogti5tkgky6K-NjSUsKN1AIEwKlv_togHnnAfW8_uMesLzn2L5VAiiq8ocmMMdUk5_8OgRkSuCi2d0NIn4e6H0Iu8EONmYmMloG1H8o7YR9dO2qxclgRu9srcuIQiGCMwk45morFmlVYuj3J_Lu01YJaW9EiYdsQ92Xl9ZiqVpmXQ2Zn9c2stDt1ASVeLsruMCmk_S3i9HeQ50cGbFVISTq7bNutkwEk9jlEXkbAhwnageuTUs6gIiQ4N-aF_IPQiNT2WdpUc2N-h45zPcvXHiZql4GxFBL2iKWdroS3MuqWz7LTbivcygszGUjy3nnBvwn49jrCtg3q5KP-eF0X9xBQ-w0w2KZrLa9rjTXxrWtj15WF5EHaXnLbbu0t15m4o97vlAMBeBZMzpf2LE435aQ=w727-h969-no

43 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Speaking of the pre-made sandwiches...

Remember when the salad bar used to also offer things like mixed tuna salad or shrimp salad to put on top of or alongside your greens?  I'd have a salad like that just about every day for lunch.

Those special salad mixes are gone, so now I take those soggy pre-made sandwiches, scoop the filing on a green salad, and discard the bread.  All that goop makes a great dressing.  😊

Great suggestion. I  too missed those ready made meat salad sides to add to the salad offerings. Forgot about those dishes - it was some time ago before the addition of the very popular full salad bars. I am such a sucker for the really

Breakfasts at the Lido are always very good with daily specials.

The Lido Meatsauce/ Bolognese at the Italian station is great. Try it with spaghetti, garlic and onion.

The Indian theme at Distant Lands at the Lido Market during Lunch ( normally at least once per cruise) is really good.

most soups are very tasty, with nice presentation.

Lamb is as mentioned before very good for mass catering.

Scallops are normally cooked correctly, meaning browned outside while still slightly glazy inside.

I have had very good tenderloin in the MDR but also poor Prime Rib...

most fish and seafood is quite tasty. The Lobster not included. 

Bread pudding and crème-Anglaise!!

Very good burgers and fries

items to improve on:

Salads are very weak compared to Celebrity, no choice of dressing and poor ingediens

some desserts are not according the description ( craquelin is disappointing although a Torres recipe)

Icecream is nowadays mostly limited to 3 basic flavours, and not made on the ship. Celebrity does a far better job here.

All schrimp is the inferiour pink variety, large or small, without any taste. This includes the PG. On a Dutch vessel, one should serve North Sea Grey schrimp ( more or less compareable to Brown schrimp) , which is infinitely better in taste and finesse and is a Dutch and Belgian specialty.

Edited by Despegue

What I enjoy consistently most in HAL's dining venues:

Croissants; the size of these darlings seem to vary from ship to ship, but, consistently, they are delicious.  All of the breads and rolls are excellent as well.

The "specialized rolls" when one is sailing in certain areas:  i.e. Panama Rolls.

Room service Club Sandwich

MDR Crisps are uniformly tasty regardless of the fruit.

PG's Pork Chops have been moist and flavorful.  PG's Crab Cakes are superior.

Dive-In:  Everything!  (But, please don't tell my cardiologist.)

MDR Breakfast:  Swedish Pancakes; they rival what I remember when I had them on Royal Viking Sky many years ago.

Sel de Mar:  Dover Sole, Escargots, and Crepes Suzette.

NY Deli and Pizza:  Everything that I ordered was delicious, including the Panna Cotta for dessert.

Lido Restaurant:  Whatever variety:  the cookies at the ice cream counter!

• Like 1