Would you take this upsell?

Momma Mojito

We booked a guarantee  BF on the Island Princess for 15 days. Was given a BD cabin then last night I received an email saying we could have a BC for $450 more.  I have until tonight to decide, what is your opinion?  I will say the new cabin is about 15 cabins closer to the center of the ship then our original cabin which was closer to the back of the ship!   Thanks 

The only way that upsell would make sense to me is if I really didn't like the location of my current cabin.  Since you seem to be fine with it if I were you I would pass.

Edited by capriccio

1 hour ago, Momma Mojito said:

We booked a guarantee  BF on the Island Princess for 15 days. Was given a BD cabin then last night I received an email saying we could have a BC for $450 more.  I have until tonight to decide, what is your opinion?  I will say the new cabin is about 15 cabins closer to the center of the ship then our original cabin which was closer to the back of the ship!   Thanks 

Not worth the upcharge.

I MIGHT pay that if the upsell were to a SUITE...or even to a mini-suite...But all you would be getting there is having your cabin moved a few doors down!  It's the SAME cabin...

Of course, I, basically, just took a similar deal...in a way...

We booked a BD cabin on Emerald Princess--for a 3-night cruise--much shorter...

Princess offered to move us to a suite for $289 per person...We wouldn't mind having a suite--but, on a three night cruise, that almost doubles our fare...and how much time would we actually spend in that suite?

Then Princess offered us a move to a mini-suite for $99 per person...We thought about it...But, we figured we'd be trading in our larger Caribe Deck Balcony for a sitting area in our cabin for $66 per night...Turned it down...

Then, Princess dropped the price on our cabin category and we were able to get a refund of $54...but it was a major hassle...Since we booked through a travel agent, we had to get them to make the call...and I felt really guilty...Their commission on this short cruise was so small already--and now they had to spend more time on it...

Then, Princess dropped the fares yet again...I called Princess directly...and plead with them to deal with me directly because I did not want to bother the TA any more...I said "If I don't ask for a price drop, but rather an upgrade-so it would NOT lower their commission, I am sure they won't care".  I volunteered that I would pay them another $100 to be moved to a Club Class mini-suite.  It should not have been that hard to understand my logic:  First, the cruise is less than six weeks away and over half of those Club Class minis remain unsold.  I was already paying more than those who booked the lower category balconies, yet the earlier upsell offer went out to ALL balcony bookings...and with the latest price drop, I was already paying almost $100 more than the cost of the lowest balconies.  Based on how slowly this cruise is selling...and on how few appear to be taking them up on the upsell offers, they likely won't sell out those Club Class minis...and, in this way, they would actually squeeze out another $100.

Princess' response?  They offered to move me to a regular mini-suite for $49...I said I was only interested in the Club Class for the dining experience and the included mini-bottles of wine--not the regular mini...and turned it down...

Eventually, we agreed for them to move me from my BD Caribe deck balcony to a B1 Caribe deck "Premium" balcony...pretty much the same cabin but exactly at midship...which is where I am as of now...

And since, the fares have gone up slightly again...Of course, with so much still unsold, I'm expecting them to go down again...and up...and down...But, when we adjusted this deal, my BD was selling for $33 pp less than I paid...So, basically, I spent $22 per night for that BD to B1 upsell!

Edited by Bruin Steve

I just took a upsell of 200 dollars ea from obstructed OV to BB balcony, Alaska trip so I grabbed and took a BC as I wanted a Lido balcony for the buffet and spa accessibility, and viewing of course too.  I thought this was a great deal.  It was like almost 1500 less then if I were to book myself.  Which is why I was booked in a Obst.OV in the first place, balcony was just over my budget for this cruise.  Hope you enjoy your balcony, I'd definately agree and wouldn't take your upsell offer.

Interesting that they are offering an upsell for essentially the same cabin.  The only ones we have ever received and accepted were to the next category (mini suite to full suite).  I'll join the "no" chorus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MCC retired said:

OP’s upsell  offer is the worse that I ever heard of . Upgrade Fairy looking for a sucker . 

That would be the Upsell Fairy.

The Upgrade Fairy is a much nicer fairy.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

I looked at a random Island Princess sailing for 14 days (not 15). The difference between a BC and a BD was $64/person or $4.57/night per person.

If the $450 for 15 days is for two people, that would be for you $15/night per person, over three times the regular cost difference for these two cabin types.

I agree with others:this is the worst upsell offer that has ever been posted here.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

6 hours ago, caribill said:

My error .I get them 2 mixed up ☹️

11 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

The upgrade fairy didn't find a sucker in me!!:classic_smile:

WOW!!    As always there is someone on here ready to correct our mistakes.    So the Upsell Fairy didn't find a sucker in me!!!

Edited by Momma Mojito
  • Haha 1