Escargot

ktmush2

Well, if they have them on my cruise, someone is more than welcomed to have my share of them.

19 minutes ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

Almost like a mushroom with lots of butter and garlic is the best way i can describe it.

A fairly chewy, kinda earthy mushroom. I thought the sauce they were in was good, the actual snail, not so much. But hey, I tried them, so that's one thing scratched off the bucket list.

The frogs legs on the other hand, I'd order those again!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Amyracecar said:

This comments about the sauce on this thread reminds me of a guy I was listening to on the radio who said 'For years I thought I loved snails, but it turns out I really just love garlic!' 

Garlic + a pound of butter makes anything palatable! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, runner15km said:

Is escargot available every night ?  And yes I soak my bread in the butter & garlic sauce. 

46 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Not that I recall - just one or maybe two nights of my most recent 8-day cruise, perhaps on elegant night?

I only remember it being on the "Rare Finds" part of the menu one night on both our recent cruises. I don't remember if it was elegant night or not though.

Edited by schazzy

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

What dos it taste like? Never tried it

It tastes like chicken!😊      Just joking!

Escargot does not taste like chicken......  I just had to say that before.   It is a different flavor, that is hard to describe, but very good to eat!    It's more like the frog legs!  😎

Both are worth trying! 

Edited by jwjax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jwjax said:

It tastes like chicken!😊      Just joking!

Escargot does not taste like chicken......  I just had to say that before.   It is a different flavor, that is hard to describe, but very good to eat!    It's more like the frog legs!  😎

Both are worth trying! 

Except frog legs actually DO taste very much like chicken.  🙂

I love escargot but you are right that it is very hard to describe the taste.   But there is no denying that it's a great vehicle for butter and garlic sauce.  Yum!

3 hours ago, TXBBQDUDE said:

Almost like a mushroom with lots of butter and garlic is the best way i can describe it.  

Hmmm, I'm not much for seafood (except Lobster 😂) and I hate mushrooms so I guess I shouldn't bother trying it. I have always wanted to but I'd hate to waste it.

2 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Hmmm, I'm not much for seafood (except Lobster 😂) and I hate mushrooms so I guess I shouldn't bother trying it. I have always wanted to but I'd hate to waste it.

For me they had the texture of a mushroom, which oddly is what i don't like about a mushroom.  Rather bland, chewy but the garlic/butter help lots.  

Edited by mom2tcdx2
  • Like 1

Tracey.kinney you should definitely try it... if you like garlic and you like butter, you'll like them! I order them any time I can from the MDR- not so crazy about the ones in the steakhouse though- it seems they've got some sort of tomato base mixed into them that I don't care for...