Federal Judge considers sanctions affecting Carnival that could affect cruises

4 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Given that the hearing was/is set for June 24:

“Miami federal judge Patricia Seitz will review the deal in court on June 3. Her options: Accept the deal, or reject it and set a probation revocation hearing for a later date.”

Was catching up on this topic and realized that I hadn’t seen Jimbo post in a long time. I always noticed his posts because I either 100% agreed or disagreed with him...reminded me of talking to my kids lol. Anyways I hope he’s ok, don’t know him personally to reach out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Was catching up on this topic and realized that I hadn’t seen Jimbo post in a long time. I always noticed his posts because I either 100% agreed or disagreed with him...reminded me of talking to my kids lol. Anyways I hope he’s ok, don’t know him personally to reach out.

9 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

I must have missed it? Well Jimbo if you read this, I glad you’re ok and hope to argue or agree with you soon lol

I took a little hiatus for several reasons, I always enjoyed our discourse.

The fish ain’t caught till it’s in the boat, and I recognize the emotion and seriousness of the issue, but I made my prediction on this topic way back on post 7.  I hope the judge agrees and Carnival has implemented and CONTINUES to ensure the right processes. 

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The fish ain’t caught till it’s in the boat, and I recognize the emotion and seriousness of the issue, but I made my prediction on this topic way back on post 7.  I hope the judge agrees and Carnival has implemented and CONTINUES to ensure the right processes. 

While in the most part I agree with your prediction, the sheer volume of violations is egregious, and the judge will want to set an example.  No details on the plea deal, so we don't know what level of pain Carnival has already agreed to, but it would not surprise me to see a few of the more "frequent flyers" on the violations list be barred for a short time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While in the most part I agree with your prediction, the sheer volume of violations is egregious, and the judge will want to set an example.  No details on the plea deal, so we don't know what level of pain Carnival has already agreed to, but it would not surprise me to see a few of the more "frequent flyers" on the violations list be barred for a short time.

I really have no idea, you are much more informed on the topic and I trust your knowledge and view.  Hopefully they (the judge who still has control, and Carnival who needs to tow the line religiously) can agree on a path.  I trust a judge to do the right thing in determining discipline and punishment.  

Bumping!! Breaking the rules because phone is being cantankerous and won't let me copy link for you guys to find.  Fifty lashes with a wet plastic straw.😕 Now you can continue discussion from Breeze thread here.

thank you

5 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

????

Host Carolyn bumped this to Page 1 because there is another post about Carnival cutbacks and the OP's dissatisfaction with the Breeze and is threatening to cancel her Mardi Gras cruise....

She mentioned this topic and it started to overtake the original post, so Host Carolyn reminded people to post their comments about it here, not in that other thread.

3 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Bumping!! Breaking the rules because phone is being cantankerous and won't let me copy link for you guys to find.  Fifty lashes with a wet plastic straw.😕 Now you can continue discussion from Breeze thread here.

thank you

Thank you.  All facts known as of now are indeed in this thread.

Money buys you a lot of support from people in high places. From the Miami Herald today

Here's the full article if anyone's interested. I'm eager to see what the judge's decision will be tomorrow, as are many folks here, I'm sure: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article231089203.html#storylink=hpdigest_business

I have removed the copyrighted text of the article --- links to the text  are ok under CC guidelines but not copying the article itself, which is linked above.

I have started a new thread temporarily called "Judge's June 3rd Decision re Carnival Corp Sanctions" and pinned it for now. Once the decision comes down please post your discussion there.

With apology to Organized Chaos for hijacking your post 😯           

Host Carolyn

Edited by Host Carolyn

13 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Money buys you a lot of support from people in high places. From the Miami Herald today:

( copyrighted text removed)

Carnival execs are closely tied to some powerful and influential people and organizations. Contributing to political campaigns, they have two execs on the board of the cruise industry lobby, the current chair of the Miami Chamber of Commerce is also the vice president of corporate affairs at Carnival Corp., and CCL's president is the first vice chair of the U.S. Travel Association. Looks as if they've placed their chess pieces in all the right spots.

Here's the full article if anyone's interested. I'm eager to see what the judge's decision will be tomorrow, as are many folks here, I'm sure: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article231089203.html#storylink=hpdigest_business

Yes, I am sure this will be a topic of interest for all of us. I guess we will also find out if the top executives from the Carnival corporation show up as requested by the judge.

Thanks for the article. Note that in addition to the pro Carnival letters, the judge also received other letters asking that  Carnival be held accountable. These letters seemed to be from private citizens as opposed to politicians or industry types. And these letters were made public by the judge. I wonder if we can read anything into that.

Edited by Host Carolyn

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I am sure this will be a topic of interest for all of us. I guess we will also find out if the top executives from the Carnival corporation show up as requested by the judge.

Thanks for the article. Note that in addition to the pro Carnival letters, the judge also received other letters asking that  Carnival be held accountable. These letters seemed to be from private citizens as opposed to politicians or industry types. And these letters were made public by the judge. I wonder if we can read anything into that.

This particular Judge has been very "open" with lots of comments which (at least from my neck of the woods) is atypical.  It will be an interesting day...

As I have said before, if that is the case, then any guest, no matter what it is, a wrapper, a cigarette butt on deck, should be fined and disembarked. I have done it, and I am sure we all have. I now/we all now need to be very careful. The cruise-lines should be held responsible to what is within their pervue, but so should the guests, at all times.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Its time Carnival learn its lesson and they get hit where they will take environmental issues seriously.

I enjoy reading your posts, but I still don’t know where you stand on this issue.  This post makes it clear that you think Carnival is wrong and should be punished accordingly.  However, in another thread you mentioned you still have a cruise booked on Mardi Gras. The only conclusion I can make is you aren’t that upset by Carnival’a actions, otherwise there is no way your conscience would allow you to continue to sail on Carnival. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:12 AM, jimbo5544 said:

continues? continue would require they have begun the right processes first which they have demonstrated repeatedly to not have implemented

Hello PhillyFan-  I just feel when a ruling in court is made the parties involved should comply.  Having 800 violations in just one years time while on their 5 year probation period is just uncalled for.  They didn't take these issues seriously, if they did, they would not have continued their illegal environmental issues.  

Yes, I have a cruise booked on the Mardi Gras, but at the time of the cruise I was only aware of the "plastic violations" and on the ship I heard of the other violations that Carnival has done while being on their 5 year probation...it just sickened me how people defy court orders and continue doing wrong and illegal things.  

My father in law and my other half were the first to say on day 5 on the Breeze that they want to cancel the Mardi Gras.  I spoke to my son who has $500 invested (he is young with two young children so loosing money would not be an option to him) and my daughter/her boyfriend who also doesn't want to loose their $198  they made it clear they are going.  They were the only ones that did not purchase the insurance as the rest of us have.  (young ones, think they can save money but don't understand the importance it could make in spending the money, maybe a lesson learned?). I can't bail out on them, this trip was to finally take a cruise with my son/daughter in law and my two young grandsons which I have not done yet, as for my daughter,  she has been on many cruises with me but she never been on a cruise or even taken a vacation with her brother in over 12 years so I feel its important to take this cruise all together.

As far as this court thing, and the possibility after the outcome,  Carnival may have to have more cutbacks, this was our concern, plus the fact I question whether the Mardi Gras with all the passengers she holds and looking at the layout feel it can be quite crowded on board, these two things are other reasons why I wanted to cancel.  The Breeze was very crowded I can only imagine the Mardi Gras but hoping the new layout will work out fine, but as you can see, its about our family being together finally on a trip together.  Yes, I hate the fact Carnival violated the probation and continued to do hundreds of new violations, how can I have respect for anybody that violates court orders and rules and regulations? (this applies to any and all things not just Carnival)  Its the person I am, if you can understand what I mean.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

2 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello PhillyFan-  I just feel when a ruling in court is made the parties involved should comply.  Having 800 violations in just one years time while on their 5 year probation period is just uncalled for.  They didn't take these issues seriously, if they did, they would not have continued their illegal environmental issues.  

Yes, I have a cruise booked on the Mardi Gras, but at the time of the cruise I was only aware of the "plastic violations" and on the ship I heard of the other violations that Carnival has done while being on their 5 year probation...it just sickened me how people defy court orders and continue doing wrong and illegal things.  

My father in law and my other half were the first to say on day 5 on the Breeze that they want to cancel the Mardi Gras.  I spoke to my son who has $500 invested (he is young with two young children so loosing money would not be an option to him) and my daughter/her boyfriend who also doesn't want to loose their $198  they made it clear they are going.  They were the only ones that did not purchase the insurance as the rest of us have.  (young ones, think they can save money but don't understand the importance it could make in spending the money, maybe a lesson learned?). I can't bail out on them, this trip was to finally take a cruise with my son/daughter in law and my two young grandsons which I have not done yet, as for my daughter,  she has been on many cruises with me but she never been on a cruise or even taken a vacation with her brother in over 12 years so I feel its important to take this cruise all together.

As far as this court thing, and the possibility after the outcome,  Carnival may have to have more cutbacks, this was our concern, plus the fact I question whether the Mardi Gras with all the passengers she holds and looking at the layout feel it can be quite crowded on board, these two things are other reasons why I wanted to cancel.  The Breeze was very crowded I can only imagine the Mardi Gras but hoping the new layout will work out fine, but as you can see, its about our family being together finally on a trip together.  Yes, I hate the fact Carnival violated the probation and continued to do hundreds of new violations, how can I have respect for anybody that violates court orders and rules and regulations? (this applies to any and all things not just Carnival)  Its not the person I am, if you can understand what I mean.

Carnival is the largest cruise ship company in the world, this fine is innocuous to them. As stated in another post, Carnival won't have major setbacks.