Recent Explorer OTS Cruisers: How's the Ship?

We're anticipating a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Explorer of the Seas this winter.  What shape is the ship in?  When was it last refurbished?  Does it have a Flowrider?  Fresh water pools?  How was the dining/food?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Too bad because we sailed her 3 times when she was based out of NJ. We loved her so much. Its sad to see her in that condition. She is a very well laid out ship, and the promenade was beautiful. I hope RCI returns her to dry dock to make her up to the beautiful ship she once was.

21 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

Too bad because we sailed her 3 times when she was based out of NJ. We loved her so much. Its sad to see her in that condition. She is a very well laid out ship, and the promenade was beautiful. I hope RCI returns her to dry dock to make her up to the beautiful ship she once was.

Her drydock is April 2020

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 10:13 AM, sisocialworker said:

I am planning to sail on her in december...after seeing these pic's I think I made a mistake

We are booked for 9 nights in December and I am not concerned. That thread states that most of the issues have been addressed later in the thread. 

We were on Explorer in 12/2013 right before her last major drydock and the comments on here were in line with these. We were very pleasantly surprised when we boarded. 

10 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

We are booked for 9 nights in December and I am not concerned. That thread states that most of the issues have been addressed later in the thread. 

We were on Explorer in 12/2013 right before her last major drydock and the comments on here were in line with these. We were very pleasantly surprised when we boarded. 

we're doing a 9 night this dec too..12/13..are you on that one?

If you look beyond the few misted windows (no pun intended) she is fine. Yes a little rust here and there, scuffs in the main pools and a couple of the hot tubs, but on the whole nothing at all to worry about.

The poolside screen is fully working, didn't notice any issues with the elevators.

Can't comment on the speciality restaurants but the food in the MDR was up to the usual standard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, icsys said:

If you look beyond the few misted windows (no pun intended) she is fine. Yes a little rust here and there, scuffs in the main pools and a couple of the hot tubs, but on the whole nothing at all to worry about.

The poolside screen is fully working, didn't notice any issues with the elevators.

Can't comment on the speciality restaurants but the food in the MDR was up to the usual standard.

Thanks for the info, we are cruising on Explorer for New Year’s and really looking forward to it!

The member who posted the few selectively chosen 'bad' pics has a real downer on this ship and tries to put everyone off with his negative comments (e.g."rust bucket"). Ignore him and take the more positive comments as being more representative of the ships true state

7 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

The member who posted the few selectively chosen 'bad' pics has a real downer on this ship and tries to put everyone off with his negative comments (e.g."rust bucket"). Ignore him and take the more positive comments as being more representative of the ships true state

It does look in need  of some urgent TLC

• Like 2

We were on in March out of Sydney and saw none of the things shown in these photos. We had absolutely nothing to complain about. Cleaning and maintenance was ongoing throughout each day. The food was great everywhere we ate and the only place we didn't eat was Izumi just because I am not a fan of Japanese food, hubby could have gone by himself but chose not to. We didn't have a bad meal even once. We ate at both MDR and Windjammer, Johnny Rockets, Giovanni's and Chops, I preferred Giovanni's out of the two specialties we ate at. Chops had a great breakfast for those in suites. Our room was spotless, as were the hallways and everywhere else I happened to see. For me the best coffee on the ship was from the bar in the Windjammer where they also do fresh juice as well and there was a long queue every morning for the coffee.

• Like 1

I am on it now and it’s perfectly fine!

There are two frosted windows I spotted but it’s nothing bad. 

The sun loungers were replaced when the ship reached Southampton. 

The ship is very clean and the food has been great so far. 

The room attendant spotted a light had gone in my room (just a small one) and she got maintenance up straight away to sort it.

• Like 2

I agree with Lois, my wife and I were on it a few weeks ago and really didn’t see anything untoward. We didn’t look for anything untoward either. I guess if you want to find fault you can do that but we were there to enjoy ourselves and we did. The food was good, the staff brilliant and we had a fab cruise. 

• Like 1

I would agree 100%. I find it absurd that someone would go on a cruise, waste time (which could have been employed actually enjoying the cruise) hunting out a few minor inconveniences then posting these selectively-chosen photos.

A couple of windows outside the Windjammer are misted - and that detracts from your cruise? Really? How much time do you spend looking out through those windows?

Get. A. Life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If things weren't right in my cabin then yes, l would mention it to the room attendant and/or guest services.

However l dont expect to find such things, and refuse to let a biased member's carefully selected photos of a few minor irritations spoil things for me.

I don not, for one second, anticipate a dirty, run-down "rust bucket" when l board in 40 days time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sisocialworker said:

how about stained furniture or carpet in your cabin, especially a suite cabin-paying top dollar or DL or CL...that should not happen, would that bother you?   is anyone on the ship-please check it out-point it out so the staff can hopefully correct it

There will always be stained carpet and furniture. I'll bet Spectrum has stains by now.  😉As long as it's not transferring to you, not really a big deal. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

There will always be stained carpet and furniture. I'll bet Spectrum has stains by now.  😉As long as it's not transferring to you, not really a big deal. 

once the stains are pointed out to staff, they should know how to get stains out

1 hour ago, sisocialworker said:

once the stains are pointed out to staff, they should know how to get stains out

Of course they already do. I have encountered deep cleaning, steam cleaning and complete carpet replacement on RCL ships. I have also seen sofas and armchairs being manhandled out of cabins, with new plastic-wrapped replacements waiting in the corridor.

As has frequently been said, if you go aboard looking for problems (a bit of rust, a clouded window a mark on a carpet)  you will find them, its self fulfilling.

Happy hunting. I am going onboard to thoroughly enjoy my cruise, on a great ship, staffed by great people who will attend to my every whim with a smile, who will serve me delicious food, and l will have 4 other members of my famly around me.  Naysayers wont ever discourage me. I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1