C&A Balcony Discount

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

In my example on Mariner 5/4/2020 the $150 CAS balcony discount is the same as the current flash sale which isn't combinable so net difference is zero.

No CAS applied:

216089660_MA5-4-20JSnoCAS.jpeg.2c7b6250720549bc63b86c73e0c8da49.jpeg

CAS applied:

550434658_MA5-4-20JSCAS.jpeg.b54e12265e51134f634d4807040403d3.jpeg

Wow. What BS!

12 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

Wow. What BS!

It's all in the terms and conditions:

• 12. Balcony and Suite Discounts are a per stateroom discount applicable on balcony and suite categories only available to Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Crown & Anchor Society members. Savings are not redeemable for cash and are non-transferable. When reserving, a valid Crown & Anchor Society membership number must be included in the reservation.
  • Platinum, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Crown & Anchor Society members will receive an increased discount for making a reservation for a sail date outside of six (6) months. Within six (6) months of sailing, if the guest cancels and reinstates the booking, applies a fare change, changes categories, or changes the ship or sail date of the booking, the discount will be automatically adjusted to the lower value.
  • This offer can only be combined with the Onboard Booking Bonus while making a reservation onboard a Royal Caribbean ship.
  • This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares and is not combinable with any other promotion or offer, including, but not limited to Shareholder Benefits, and other dollars off and onboard credit offers, MyCruiseSM Upgrades, Companion Fare and Free Cruise promotions and benefits.
  • Single occupancy guests paying 200% cruise fare are eligible for Offer. Single occupancy guests paying less than 200% cruise fare will be eligible for a prorated value of the Offer.
  • Prices vary by ship and sail dates; space is subject to availability at the time of making your reservation. Please call or have your travel agent call our exclusive precruise number at (888) 437-1953 to answer additional questions or to make arrangements.

In addition there is more than one form of NextCruise OBC. One is called "Onboard booking bonus" that is combinable but then there are other forms of NextCruise OBC that are not combinable. 

Bottom line - don't assume it's a straight $X off the best price you can find.  

Sometimes it saves you money and sometimes it doesn't.

Edited by twangster

The good news (I guess) is that even though RCL no longer allows you to stack discounts (Oh the good old days:classic_mellow:), at least they're quoting the best available price for a category. In my phantom Harmony January 2021 booking, the junior suite discount (D+) would have been $250. The "flash sale" discount was $300, so I was quoted the flash sale price. The bad news is that even with the current flash sale discounts applied, the JS is actually ~$400 more than the JS that I booked on this cruise when the itineraries were first released.:classic_rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The good news (I guess) is that even though RCL no longer allows you to stack discounts (Oh the good old days:classic_mellow:), at least they're quoting the best available price for a category. In my phantom Harmony January 2021 booking, the junior suite discount (D+) would have been $250. The "flash sale" discount was $300, so I was quoted the flash sale price. The bad news is that even with the current flash sale discounts applied, the JS is actually ~$400 more than the JS that I booked on this cruise when the itineraries were first released.:classic_rolleyes:

So another worthless diamond plus benefit. 

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Not quite worthless yet, but Royal is working on that. 

One can still maximize this benefit by booking early (when prices are their lowest), booking while onboard, and booking “date certain” cruises (it seems like NRD bookings hold the balcony discount level better than changeable bookings). On the January 2021 Harmony booking (which we booked onboard right after the 2021 itineraries were released), we got the full $250 D+ discount, the full BOGO 60% discount, the OBC, the reduced NRD price, reduced deposit, and a $150 promo discount (for whatever sale was going on when we booked.)

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, orville99 said:

One can still maximize this benefit by booking early (when prices are their lowest), booking while onboard, and booking “date certain” cruises (it seems like NRD bookings hold the balcony discount level better than changeable bookings). On the January 2021 Harmony booking (which we booked onboard right after the 2021 itineraries were released), we got the full $250 D+ discount, the full BOGO 60% discount, the OBC, the reduced NRD price, reduced deposit, and a $150 promo discount (for whatever sale was going on when we booked.)

Bravo - well done!

I'm glad that Bob and others continue to point out how underhanded RCI is with their "balcony discount". Give with one hand and take with the other.

Just booked another sailing in 2021 and pricing with the D+ C&A versus without is $188, not $350. Is that price difference going to make or break the trip? NO. I just find it disingenuous to show $350 in the pricing breakdown, but you really don't get it. Like going to deal with a car salesman.

As mentioned above, there are some other ways to maximize the discounts available. Sometimes the timing just doesn't work out though for booking onboard, etc.

Edited by L454S

I’m not sure I’d call it disingenuous.  

As humans we skim with our eyes and see what we want to see while ignoring the footnotes or terms and conditions.  Marketing everywhere on land and on websites plays on this human tendency.

I’ve posted the examples above to set expectations accordingly and educate to avoid the disappointment I initially felt when my Next booking was reduced by $100 or my $250 D+ discount didn’t end up at $250.  

Like everywhere when you see a special offer you need to pay attention.  The devil is in the details.  

I’ve saved quite a bit of money over a number of cruises and often book balconies more now because of the CAS balcony discount and I’m grateful for it.  Understanding how it works and how much of a discount to expect is critical to appreciating this benefit.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I’m not sure I’d call it disingenuous.  

As humans we skim with our eyes and see what we want to see while ignoring the footnotes or terms and conditions.  Marketing everywhere on land and on websites plays on this human tendency.

I’ve posted the examples above to set expectations accordingly and educate to avoid the disappointment I initially felt when my Next booking was reduced by $100 or my $250 D+ discount didn’t end up at $250.  

Like everywhere when you see a special offer you need to pay attention.  The devil is in the details.  

I’ve saved quite a bit of money over a number of cruises and often book balconies more now because of the CAS balcony discount and I’m grateful for it.  Understanding how it works and how much of a discount to expect is critical to appreciating this benefit.  

I have a lot more respect for a company who tells me I have a $350 balcony discount for my loyalty and when the figures are totaled, I have a balance $350 less than if I didn't have this discount. 

I guess you could call it a healthy distrust of language used by said company.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, L454S said:

I have a lot more respect for a company who tells me I have a $350 balcony discount for my loyalty and when the figures are totaled, I have a balance $350 less than if I didn't have this discount. 

I guess you could call it a healthy distrust of language used by said company.

"*May not be combined with other promotions and discounts" is extremely common in America.  From fast food, to groceries to tires, to oil changes to just about every company that offers a discount or coupon.  

Be careful what you wish for.  

In these days of super competitiveness the only way to guarantee an absolute amount that applied regardless of other promotions would be to lower it.  

$25 for platinum

$50 for emerald

$75 for diamond/plus

$100 for pinnacle

I'll take the current system that I know and understand how to manipulate for greater discounts.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:27 PM, orville99 said:

At that point they must have paid you to get on the cruise ship! Well done

20 hours ago, twangster said:

"*May not be combined with other promotions and discounts" is extremely common in America.  From fast food, to groceries to tires, to oil changes to just about every company that offers a discount or coupon.  

Be careful what you wish for.  

I get the 'May not be combined with other promotions and discounts' tucked away in the Ts&Cs, its common over here too!

But it clearly negates any 'loyalty' benefit when a new customer can get said balcony at the same rate as a loyal customer.

Ah well, at least you're quoted the best available price for a chosen category. You can then choose which promo/discount works best.

Edited by icsys

On 6/10/2019 at 10:55 AM, twangster said:

How about a little exercise to see the value of CAS balcony discounts.

I'm D+, so from Bob's post:

• Diamond Plus Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
  • $150* for sailings of 3-5 nights
  • $250* for sailings of 6-9 nights
  • $350* for sailings of 10+ nights
  • *When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from the dollar amount.

I went to the Royal website and priced 3 random sailings, all over 90 days out, one under 6 months, two over 6 months, price for two guests.

First we have Navigator Oct. 4, 2019.

No CAS applied, straight off the website:

1738299424_NV10-4-19CAS.jpeg.b1fc200e14403b017f75885e7867e574.jpeg

With my CAS D+ # applied

1352972527_NV10-4-19noCAS.jpeg.b9b57e778a443337ebddae472e904585.jpeg

A savings of $25 per person for balcony cabin ($50 total).  No savings on suites.

Next we have Mariner May 4, 2020.

1529058196_MA5-4-20noCAS.jpeg.b51faae99de32774ebdda5fe3c0e74a0.jpeg

With my CAS D+ # applied:

910396140_MA5-4-20CAS.jpeg.3b529133b2a7bc45ead73a1d93840b3a.jpeg

A savings of $19 per person for balcony cabin ($38 total).  No savings on suites.

Lastly we have Harmony on May 3, 2020.

1728529372_Harm5-3-20noCAS.jpeg.26cb75c2c7f4cb66f1b8d98c302f2dcd.jpeg

With my CAS D+ # applied:

687600117_Harm5-3-20CAS.jpeg.2f3f3b0a2ca71d2e9c2a17a538e89f8d.jpeg

A savings of $56 per person for balcony cabin ($112 total).  No savings on suites.

Wait, what about the $250 discount I should get?

Maybe there were GTY rates or something else in play.  So let's price a specific category and get into details.

Sticking with Harmony almost a year away.  I picked a 2J Central Park balcony. 

No CAS balcony discount:

2140241312_Harm2J5-3-2020noCAS.jpeg.6255358578d4b3953f7a53bb49557fc7.jpeg

With CAS D+ # applied;

1780609229_Harm2J5-3-2020CAS.jpeg.1774d18f0f45eb96fe3656f08ae572a5.jpeg

A savings of $150 per cabin.

Note the No CAS rate includes a $100 Flash sale discount absent in the CAS pricing.  It's not combinable with the current promo.

I also tried an ocean view balcony and got the same $150 discount. 

How about a suite?

No CAS balcony discount:

1606352859_HarmGS5-3-2020noCAS.jpeg.632e3c63a347ca3acac2502fa38037f6.jpeg

With CAS D+ # applied:

1430192572_HarmGS5-3-2020CAS.jpeg.543bc4d8e0f158e635574279b7f17f9b.jpeg

Hmmm.  No change.

I used to get a CAS discount on suites, not seeing it now.   Maybe the "Flash" sale discount of $300 exceeds the $250 CAS discount so it appears there is no benefit of CAS balcony discount in this case of suites (not combinable).

Summary:

3 Night saving $50 under 6 months compared to $125 stated above

3 Night saving $38 over 6 months compared to $150 stated above

7 Night savings of $112 over 6 months compared to $225 stated above (involved GTY rates)

7 Night savings of $250 over 6 months compared to $250 stated above (removing GTY rates)

7 Night suites savings of $0

In summary it all depends what current discounts are combinable with CAS balcony discounts and which are not.  In the case of the 3 night sailing the discounts everyone gets reduce the CAS balcony discounts by quite a bit but you do get some sort of discount, not just the full CAS balcony discount. 

Do not assume it's a straight discount off any rate you see.  It all depends.

I would advise using the balcony discount. Because that would stay there the flash sale would go away if you changed the booking.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, Tree_skier said:

I have been searching on both CC's and RC'S website and can't, for the life of me, find where the various balcony/suite discounts are listed. Also, we will move up a level on our next cruise.  Has anyone had any success with Nextcruise applying the new status to an onboard booking even though the points don't officially get added until after the cruise is completed.

We did. We changed level early on a cruise and they had our status changed so we could get a better discount. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 5/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Clarea said:

Balcony discounts:

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 50 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$200* for sailings of 10+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$ 75 * for sailings of 3-5 nights
$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$225* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$325* for sailings of 10+ nights

Diamond Plus Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$350* for sailings of 10+ nights

Pinnacle Club Balcony Discount When Booking More than 6 Months from Sailing Date:
$175* for sailings of 3-5 nights
$275* for sailings of 6-9 nights
$375* for sailings of 10+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from the dollar amount.

Thanks for this info .We be bandy tomorrow  when we book 2 cruises B2B 😄