A fairly new cutback that only affects a select few

Orator

59 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Assuming your 500 is correct, with 10 ships cruising 35 weeks a year with an average of 2500 (M Class and S Class combined) passengers on board, it would impact .057% of the total of 875,000 passenger load that Celebrity hosts each year.  To me that that is a select few. Although, those few are truly Celebrity Loyalists. FULL DISCLOSURE - I will never be one of them. Lucky to be a new Elite this year. 

In general the top cruisers are those who have sailed on Celebrity over 100 times.

Deleting this benefit obviously means that Celebrity no longer values their business.

10 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Was the benefit deleted or just altered?  In any case, as the saying goes, their game, their rules

The benefit was deleted. They also deleted the navigational bridge celebration for those reaching double or triple Zenith.

One of the CCH read us the email from corporate earlier this year.

The top cruiser is still supposed to dine with a senior officer.

Even more select! Any calculation of all those numbers needs to take into account duplication--top cruisers on one cruise seem quite likely to be top cruisers on a few others during any given year. 

Edited by mayleeman

11 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Closely held secret !!!

The ranks are growing though.

On one Solstice cruise last month there were four new Zeniths !!!

We have 9 Zeniths on the Transpacific.

I think I am the top cruiser,they sent me the flowers and the wine to my room.

I was offered a lunch at Tuscan and all Zeniths were  invited to dine with HD  and senior officers on the last sea day.

On the 2nd leg from Hawaii to Vancouver,they just hosted a Luncheon Party with all the Zeniths(13), Captain Tasos and a few Senior Officers.

IMG_1203.jpg

13 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Closely held secret !!!

The ranks are growing though.

On one Solstice cruise last month there were four new Zeniths !!!

Back in 2014 I had a Zenith (Sue Brown)  tell me that there were 75-80 but that there were a lot about to turn Zenith. That was five years ago, so I guess the number could  be well into the hundreds? Btw, do any of you know if Sue is still cruising?

Edited by djh

14 minutes ago, djh said:

Back in 2014 I had a Zenith (Sue Brown)  tell me that there were 75-80 but that there were a lot about to turn Zenith. That was five years ago, so I guess the number could  be well into the hundreds? Btw, do any of you know if Sue is still cruising?

Sue and Rob are really fine people and I hope to see them on a future cruise.

The number of Zeniths appears to be growing more than I expect Celebrity anticipated. Single cruisers receive double points when they pay double and Blue Chip members receive points for their often comped cabins. Often these cabins are top suites which they use a singles and that makes for a very rapid rise to Zenith. One did it in just 14 cruises. Celebrity writes the rules with an eye to enhancing the bottom line. 

18 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

Word is that later this year Celebrity will completely revamp the Captain's Club program to be 100% spending based.

Also a frequent flier type program with continued cruising requirements.

It's always exciting to watch Celebrity shoot itself in the foot.  I can hardly wait....   One can only hope that the only change is that instead of getting points based on your cabin type, they change to points based on your cruise cost....but that's probably too simple and doesn't take enough away 🙂  

19 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

I had reported about the deletion of the free specialty visit early in the year.

At the same time Celebrity increased the number of free drinks from three to unlimited for Elites.

Have no idea what the logic was but between the two changes the costs have increased!

The benefits vary from ship to ship.

Onboard Millennium last month every month every Zenith was called up on stage at the Captain's Club Celebration and given flowers and wine (there were like 20 Zeniths).

There was a Zenith lunch on the last sea day.

The top cruisers did not receive anything extra.

Word is that later this year Celebrity will completely revamp the Captain's Club program to be 100% spending based.

Also a frequent flier type program with continued cruising requirements.

We'll be grateful  to  keep our E plus perks like laundry, internet, a few discounts.  Beyond that we are cruising less these days and flying less as well...never with X air programs.  EDGE and APEX are expensive enough and we did not book them to get  any extra rewards. But we feel bad for those who are  affected... who knows, we may be next!

Continued cruising requirements means that loyalists are staying away in droves.  It's a shame they have to offer such a carrot and stick (emphasis on the stick) approach due 100% to their own changes to the product & ridiculous pricing.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:16 PM, Arno. said:

😢

Many top cruisers are no longer the top spenders onboard unless I count all the money spent on 200 cruises..  Most Zeniths are not in the high rent district on board.  In matter of fact, once a cruiser has attained the quick journey in suites to attain the Zenith level, they revert back to AQ/Concierge/Balcony and even insides. 

That homebrew is BAD!  I think I'll just ask for the label and return the bottle.  The premium drink package that is offered to Zs really means that the bottle of "wine" is not necessary.  The significance of the cutback is that, only a year ago, the top cruiser would always be at an officer's table and get that free visit to a specialty restaurant as well.  It's a good thing that we are trying to cut back on the calories and that our favourite restaurant has been eliminated (Murano) and 2nd, Qsine with the little joke of a special meal called Le Petit Chef.... Not that I'm complaining ... 😉

Most of the Zeniths are no more booking the Suites is because most of the suites booking come with the perks that already offered as Zenith.

That doesn't make sense for us to pay extra for perks that been offered.

If we can afforded to spend so much to be Zeniths,we surely could afford to stay in Suites.

Moreover the Menu in Luminae is not very appealing to me,I don't use the sun deck.I just enjoy the space in the cabin.

Edited by verizon

26 minutes ago, verizon said:

Most of the Zeniths are no more booking the Suites is because most of the suites booking come with the perks that already offered as Zenith.

That doesn't make sense for us to pay extra for perks that been offered.

If we can afforded to spend so much to be Zeniths,we surely could afford to stay in Suites.

Moreover the Menu in Luminae is not very appealing to me,I don't use the sun deck.I just enjoy the space in the cabin.

Same here. Prefer Blu to Luminae when we are traveling alone and usually dine in the MDR when we travel with friends who are not in AQ. Enjoying the company of friends is much more important to us than where we are dining!

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:16 PM, Arno. said:

😢

Many top cruisers are no longer the top spenders onboard

We have friends who are Zenith and pride themselves on finishing every cruise with $0 balance on their onboard account.  They don't generally go on excursions (because theyv'e been everywhere a zillion times), they don't buy gift shop items, they don't gamble, they don't go to the spa, and they only drink in the concierge lounge, at loyalty events, or the wine they get as loyalty gifts or from their TA. If their TA gives them some onboard credit they might buy another bottle of wine.  We cruised with them once and they were in the lounge at 5:00 on the dot when the happy hour started, and always asked for wine to go in a paper cup to take to dinner.  They were aghast when we said we were not leaving the pool area at 4:00 to get ready for dinner, LOL, because..horrors... we would miss the entire hour of free drinks from 5:00 until dinner at 6:00.    We showed up about 5:45 and they were practically frantic because we would only have time for 1 glass of free cheap wine.  🤣

edit:  oops!  This was Pinnacle/Royal, not Zenith/Celebrity, but the point is the same.  In fact, these same friends got rather in a snit when they found out their Pinnacle status wouldn't transfer to Zenith on Celebrity.  They more or less wrote off Celebrity at that point because they could not get recognized like they do on Royal, LOL

On 6/3/2019 at 7:14 PM, cruisestitch said:

since that dinner almost always took place on a formal/chic night it always had the same menu.

We were invited once to have dinner with an officer after striking up conversation with him; I can't recall the circumstances since it's been about 10 years.  It was not on formal night, though invitees were invited to dress in formal attire.  The menu was not what was being served on the regular main dining room menu.  I only have that one personal experience to speak from and things may have changed since then.

edit:  again, sorry, this was on Royal (forgot which board I was on) so maybe it was/is different on Celebrity as far as nights/menu for dining with officers

Edited by waterbug123

Yes, it is different on Celebrity.  For one thing, Zeniths have drink packages so no need to run to the cocktail hour.  For another, the Officer's Tables are traditionally held on the elegant nights, with the same menu for all.  So really, the experience on Royal isn't comparable to the experience on Celebrity.

FWIW, the Mariner program on HAL takes into account your onboard spend. Although we have no interest in climbing the ladder of loyalty programs with them, we did take note of the fact on a 7-night Alaska cruise with them last year, we earned an equal number of Mariner points by purchasing their drink package as we earned for the cruise itself. 

On 6/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, Orator said:

That's how spin works: Take a negative and make it appear positive!

Yes, like ........

I hear it’s a great play,  Mrs. Lincoln.

Edited by Donut23

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, cruise47 said:

If you have sailed over 200 cruises with Celebrity, it sounds liked you have spend some money cruising IMO.

OMG!  Can you imagine how many times they would have to watch "Topper" and "Chandelier."  Perhaps they should get a huge discount for their pain and suffering :).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Such an interesting thread.  The wine with your name on the label must stop, it's awful....The crew know it....The passengers know it and its a headache in a bottle.  Personally we just like the flowers in the room.  

We are the odd man out in that we went to one or two captains dinners early on and then never again.  It's a wildcard....too many crazy people in this world and we decided it was just not worth wasting a night sitting in the middle of the dining room smiling talking with people we had nothing in common with.  When they changed this to the "officers tables", we tried that once at Tuscan.  They also invited several Royal Suite and PH guests making our table 12 people.  As such, we learned that "officer tables" have abbreviated menus in order to ensure faster delivery from the kitchen and not delay the paying passenger meals.  We did this once, our favourites were not on the menu so we never did that again.  Waste of time.  12 people one officer does not facilitate much....except I learned that the lady next to me couldn't eat the pasta because she had been to the medical center that day because she had been constipated for 4 days and "that can be dangerous"....PASS.  

The one meal we always do is the Zenith lunch with many officers.....This is interesting, usually at Blue during the day.  You meet the entire "Management team" and the banter is about cruising and they all have great stories to tell.  It is a set menu and usually quite good, however this we do not go for the food...we genuinely enjoy hearing about their "Sea lives".  For us, this is our golden ticket.  It must be so hard leaving family for months on end...... 

As far as Zenith perks.....They are less.  The swing from many inexpensive cruisers long term.....to big spenders is indeed happening.  Our last cruise had a Double Zenith+ with 26 cruises.  We cruise in suite class and the suite guests achieving Zenith is always a topic in Michaels club or Luminae.   Set the goal and people will come.  I wouldn't be surprised if Zenith is further downgraded/spin......"improved" in the next year or two.  

Remember that cruising is all about perspective......The cruiselines want you to be their "guest" however you have paid for this experience so you are actually a passenger who has bought a ticket.  Choose your cruiselines wisely.....

Safe sails to all. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes, it is different on Celebrity.  For one thing, Zeniths have drink packages so no need to run to the cocktail hour.  For another, the Officer's Tables are traditionally held on the elegant nights, with the same menu for all.  So really, the experience on Royal isn't comparable to the experience on Celebrity.

Yeah, I thought maybe that was the case.  As I was posting I was mixed up in my mind, thinking I was on the Royal board.  Sorry.  But these friends of ours that I mentioned.... they'd still want to go to any lounge or event, even if they were given a drink package, because they want people to see them there and know they are "special", LOL.  On the one cruise we did with them, we went to a loyalty event at something like 10am.  We never would have dragged ourselves up and out for some free, cheap sparkling wine and snacks but they more or less insisted.  They got there super early so they could sit front and center during the little program when the most loyal cruisers are/were announced to walk up and get their free bottle of cheap champagne.   The whole time before it started they kept looking around and commenting on the size of the crowd....they clearly wanted to make sure the room was filling up and enough people would be there to hear their name called.  When the wife walked up to get the champs, you would think from her reaction that she'd just been crowned queen of the world, LOL

• Like 1