Sip and Sail promo coming June 13th

rocklinmom

Seems Sip 'N' Sail represents a different value for each of us, depending on our individual priorities.  Likely also true for other Princess promos.

It's been a couple of years since we did our first 2 Sip 'N' Sail cruises.  And, we opted for the $250pp OBC in lieu of the beverage package.  In, addition, Princess provided a free specialty dinner.  Those options are now gone.

Then, in May 2017 we booked our Feb 2019 Baja and Sea of Cortez cruise, launch fare but no perks.  We added Sip'N' Sail when it was offered in June 2017.  By the time 3 For Free came around end-Summer 2017, we kept the beverage package because the cruise fares kept going up and up and, at one point, the fares were nearly double our launch fare.  Never dropped.  Onboard we never even put a dent in our allocated beverages ... never drank enough to make the pkg worth our while.  But, because this itinerary is offered only 2 or 3 times a year, Princess had no need to keep fares low to fill the ship.

So, for our upcoming Feb 2020 month-long cruise, we booked the launch fare in May  2018, again with no perks.  We added Sip'N'Sail when Princess offered that promo and did not change the fares.  Better than nothing, and it was not a port-intensive cruise.  When 3 for Free rolled around in Aug 2017, our fare had dropped by $1000pp ... so we refared and took that promo.  Over time, the fare went up to some $800pp over our launch fare, and is currently more than $1500pp above our locked-in fare.  So, even tho this cruise is listed in the new SNS promo, we're not giving up our lowered fare, free grats, and significant OBC for a beverage pkg with minimal value for us.

In May this year, when Princess released new itineraries, we booked a Fall 2020 sailing, again launch fare with no perks.  This is another itinerary not offered but once or twice a year, so the fares may hold at or above the launch amount.  In any event, we plan to add the Sip'N'Sail promo mostly because we believe our cabin category will be sold out (not many of them on the ship) by the time 3 for Free comes out ... so we wouldn't be able to change out the promos.  The bev pkg, tho of limited value to us, would be better than no perks at all.  Hopefully, we'll be pleasantly surprised and be able to trade it out for 3 for Free's grats and OBC.

So, I do monitor the prices and promos ... and, as best as possible, we try to maximize what is of value to us.         

Edited by pms4104
  • Thanks 1

We booked with the 3 Day Sale.  We met a nice local T/A.  I don't think she was terribly experienced.  After cruising since 1986 on many lines, plus reading Cruise Critic - we are pretty knowledgeable.  

One of the 6 included "perks" was $400 for Captains Circle members.  The rate was $20 higher than it had been, when I asked about the $400, she called Princess and it was already included in the quoted fare.  So the rate was raised by $420 and as a "perk", they gave us $400 of it back.  The was very not impressive,. 

It would be nice to have a local agent again, so we'll see how it goes.  If it was a mistake, oh well - it wouldn't be our first.  We have several more cruises that we will look at booking on the S&S plan when it starts next week.  It least with S&S, you have a lot of time to shop and plan.  I'll be noting the current prices, knowing that is isn't uncommon for a price jump prior to the sale starting.    

At least next year when the 3-Day Sale comes around, I'll know who is offering it, without following the clues!  

• Like 1

My agent just sent this to me:

Dear Travel Partners, 

I have just be advised that the below dates should not have been included as part of the Sip & Sail voyage list.  A new list will be posted on OneSource by end of day tomorrow.  

Please remove the following 6-Day voyages from the Sip & Sail listing:

Australia Getaway

10/22/2020

H042C

JFM1/MEL1

Sapphire Princess

Australia Getaway

2/15/2021

C106B

ADL1/SYD1

Sea Princess

Southern Australia Explorer

11/10/2020

H044

MEL1/MEL2

Sapphire Princess

2/12/2020

8005B

SYD1/ADL1

Majestic Princess

3/5/2021

8107B

SYD1/ADL1

Majestic Princess

2/22/2021

H107

MEL1/MEL2

Sapphire Princess

3/15/2020

S005A

ADL1/SYD1

Sun Princess

Southern Australia & Tasmania

1/2/2020

5002A

MEL1/ADL1

Golden Princess

Tasmania

1/5/2021

SYD1/SYD2

Majestic Princess

Edited by Coral

On 6/9/2019 at 12:02 PM, CRUZBUDS said:

One of the 6 included "perks" was $400 for Captains Circle members.  The rate was $20 higher than it had been, when I asked about the $400, she called Princess and it was already included in the quoted fare.  So the rate was raised by $420 and as a "perk", they gave us $400 of it back.  The was very not impressive,. 

This is generally how sales work with cruise lines.  I do agree that sometimes you can get great values if you are diligent, but most people are only looking at the "perks" and are way overpaying for the value of the perk.  Same as people who only look at the monthly payment on a car instead of the overall cost.  And that is fine, it keeps the cruise lines happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

The only reason to accept  "free perks" on a cruise is that you won't have a large bill at the end of the cruise.The "free perks" are included in a higher fare.

Yes but if you were going to pay for those perks anyway and the cruise fare doesn't increase as much as you would have paid for the perks, it's a good deal.

• Like 3

Some of our experiences using Sip'n Sail got us the drink package for about 1/3 off, maybe more sometimes.  When we don't book with a sale, we buy the drink package.  We may not even drink enough to break even, but our thrifty life style just makes it near impossible for us to drop $50 or so for two rounds of drinks.  It worked for us to put out our card at the first bar we come to and charge $560 each for a ten day cruise.  Then we just forget about it and enjoy the cruise.   (that was a couple of years ago - it's probably more now) 

We treat the drink package like a balcony, we enjoy having one and don't care what the price is of inside or outside cabin is.  We don't do suites either, so we pay no attention to the cost of those either.  

We have two more cruises booked from last years Sip'n Sail sale and will likely book several more when the 2019 sale starts.  You do need to plan ahead  😀

• Like 4

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

The only reason to accept  "free perks" on a cruise is that you won't have a large bill at the end of the cruise.The "free perks" are included in a higher fare.

Last time I took advantage of this offer, my price on a cruise I had already booked didn't change. So it actually was FREE as I was prepared to pay the same price without it! Hoping this is true of the next round as I have a few booked that I will happily switch to the sip n sale promo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Rate Code Options for this Sip & Sail promo .

You do have choices but no OBC choice for limited drinkers this time:

https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/Promotions & LTO/PC_Sip+Sail_At_A_Glance_Final_FINAL.pdf

Interesting that they are including the soda and coffee package for Inside and Ocean View. I thought that Princess normally just offered nothing to those categories.

Right I saw that. And also for the 3/4th guest in Balc+ rooms, regardless of their age. It could work well for us as traveling (in a minisuite to AK) with my mom, who doesn't drink more than a shot of Kahlua and not every day, but drinks coffee from dawn to dusk.

We are just us two in an OV to So.Pacific, but I kinda doubt they're going to make it worth our while to re-fare.

Ok, so the sip n sail is available on Princess site. On June 5th I priced a cat. BA room on Regal for 14 nights in January. Total cost was $4763. Today, under tge “sale”, same room is $5895. Perhaps the three for freewill be better later in the year.

Congratulations to those whose prices don't increase or increase an amount worth switching to the Sip & Sail. This promotion never works for me financially, especially this time!

I must have lucked out with early bookings with other promotions though. We have two Princess 2020 cruises booked. The first is now CAN$5700 more for the same category cabin for the two of us, and that's not including the $600 OBC I got when I booked it!! I have NEVER seen a cruise price increase like that! 

The second isn't so drastic: for the same cabin with the S&S it's an increase of CAN$1400. But we got free gratuities & $250 OBC with that cruise, so the difference works out to over CAN$2200.

So no free drinks for us.... but after doing the math,  I guess I won't mind paying for them so much! 🙂 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

I noted on another thread the cost of the cruise I was going to buy YESTERDAY went up $300 p/p. Didn't buy today either. Princess lost a sale, but not sure they care. Someone else will fill that vacant cabin I was going to buy.

You can get the cabin without the Sip and Sail for a lower amount. Check with your TA or call Princess and ask them for the price without the Sip and Sail.

We just switched to S&S for our November 30 2020 booking as it’s just $80 per person increase for our 10 day cruise on the Sky.  The cost for our Alaska-Pacific Princess cruise next year was way more so we passed on that.  Very pleased with the Sky upgrade though, as I’ll happily slurp down many a festive cocktail with fruit in it on a warm-weather cruise.

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You can get the cabin without the Sip and Sail for a lower amount. Check with your TA or call Princess and ask them for the price without the Sip and Sail.

Wow! I didn’t know that. I will call my TA and ask. Thanks for that information. 

2 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

Wow! I didn’t know that. I will call my TA and ask. Thanks for that information. 

Yes,  if you search for the Princess Sip & Sale information flyer, it gives all the different options.  They have a refundable or non-refundable deposit, for the drink package or without it.  Not sure what those rates are because we were only interested in the drink perk.  But like above said call your TA and inquire because there are different fare codes out there for this promotion.  Good Luck!

4 hours ago, cruisingram1 said:

Go HERE and click on the "Sip and Sail at a Glance" link or simply click on the link below to see the 4 different booking options.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/Promotions & LTO/PC_Sip+Sail_At_A_Glance_Final_FINAL.pdf

On 6/13/2019 at 9:35 AM, adgtravel said:

I priced a 14 day cruise for January 2020 last night, and the same cruise/cabin today with sip and sail, today’s price is $1000.00 higher!!!  Not happy with Princess

I’m sorry, but you surely realize by now that nothing is “FREE” .  However, in your case, it would cost almost 2000 for two people to buy the beverage package outright. So it’s like getting it for half price.  Personally, we like our adult beverages so I would jump on a deal like that!  

• Like 1