Equinox from the "cheap seats"?

JennVT

We are in the group that prefers oceanview over balconies.  When we have an inside (and sometimes when we have an OV) we do as stated above, and leave the tv on overnight, on the bowcam channel, with the sound muted.  It's like another window.

We sailed first 2 times in insides and enjoyed it. We've had balconies since and do prefer but wouldn't hesitate to go back to insides if economics demanded.

what we find importand is to look at the packages. The drinks package is importnat to us and if it's not included with insides we  factor in.

You'll love it!

Our first cruise was in an inside stateroom. Since then we have done almost 30 cruises... in Ocean Views, Balconies, Aqua and Suites. Aqua is our preferred class. However, in an inside you will be on the same great ship and be able to enjoy all the things that matter to a first time cruiser. So should you decide to stick to an inside, don’t worry, you will be fine.

I am pretty sure you will get as hooked as the rest of us. You will then be able to determine if the perks exclusive to other classes matter to you or not. Out of your own experience and not just by others telling you about them...

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NC State said:

Good question we are thinking of an inside for our first X cruise. but explain the different buffets based on rooms. Will we be limited on where to eat?

Nahh, the only limit in dining is that Aqua gets Blu and suites get Luminea, which are for them.

Take a gander over at X's website for more complete info on dining and offerings including Specialty Restaurants...

Welcome and bon voyage

3 hours ago, poffles said:

Soo ... unlike what some have said about your first cruise and that maybe you should do a balcony, I tend to disagree a bit.  If you have decided the cost of an inside cabin aligns with your budget choices then I say stick with that and if you like it (which I'm you will !) then you are not thinking you have to do a balcony all the time when you sail again and again and again.  🙂

I think this is the best advice given on this thread.  Stay within your budget.  If the budget allows then maybe consider the Oceanview.  Many first time cruisers don't know but if you were to book the inside cabin and later (even after you make final payment) a higher class cabin comes available within your budget you should be able to just call and upgrade to that category by paying the difference.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 4

Stick with your budget.

A guarantee might  be a good way to get into a ocean view or balcony from an interior

We like daylight and to see that and the weather.... that would be why we'd not do interior.

Having said that--our adult boys have sailed interior cabins  several times when they joined us on cruises and loved the darkness to get good sleep.

The main dining and buffets are included in your room.

Extras will include alcoholic drinks -- or canned sodas/bottle waters. You don't need those to have a nice cruise

Specialty dining is an upcharge and also not required

Welcome to cruising.  Lots of information on the Celebrity web page and here on CC. Also use the google search functions  and youtube for video tours of the ships etc

16 hours ago, NC State said:

Good question we are thinking of an inside for our first X cruise. but explain the different buffets based on rooms. Will we be limited on where to eat?

Remember most of the time you have to do Ocean View or higher to get the included perks.

There is included food also for breakfast and lunch in the Spa Cafe which is inside the Solarium toward the front. Very good  salads, sandwiches, soup, cookies, etc. The smoothies there are for a fee, but the food is no charge.  Breakfast offers some delicious protein bars. There is no charge for the sweets at Cafe Al Baccio and you do not have to buy a coffee to get them.  Hamburgers and dogs at the Mast Grill are no charge.

Edited by 39august

My first ever cruise (and it was with Celebrity) was in ocean view, then we had balconies about 8 times here and there (once on Silhouette, a sister of Equinox). Other than this we always sail in insides with all lines and Celebrity. We cruise 5 times a year and loving it. However we cruise, because we enjoy ships. This is why we dropped Carnival after several tries, as outside of our cabins it was not enjoyable at all and we did not want to spend majority of our time in our cabin.

I realize that balcony is an added bonus, but from 8 times we had it I also realized that we under utilize  it to the point it does not make sense to book it. Besides all times we had balcony I woke up very early. Now, most of the days on cruises I wake up at 5:45 am to go to the gym, but if I don't go I want to sleep, and it is much better to sleep in insides (for me).

Outside of the cabin unless you are in suites and have special restaurants and zones (not large) you have all the same as people sailing in OV ,balconies or lower suites have, which is most of what ship offers.

Celebrity is a great line with more refined than most of massmarket lines food, services and most important people (even little people - kids 🙂 )

Food... is plenty. It is available at all times and when buffet and restaurants are closed which is outside of night is rare there is a room service (included).

Enjoy! I am jealous. First cruise is always special.

Edited by Tatka

16 hours ago, NC State said:

The Oceanview Cafe buffet is available to ALL and you can get any meal there morning to evening. 

Oceanview Cafe (Buffet)

The Main Dining Room (MDR) is available as a sit down restaurant is also available to ALL ... I will not get into the booking/scheduling of the sit down but it is not limited based on room.  Here is an example description though it will vary slightly based on ship.

Main Restaurant

Other specialty restaurants are the pay as you go available to ALL to book (Tuscan Grill, Murano etc). 

Finally, as others have stated there are a couple dining areas that are for suite guests or aqua class guests only (Blue and Luminae) but have no fear you will have lots of food to select from no matter what room you are in ... take it from me as I know 🙂

Edited by poffles

6 hours ago, jimkathyd1 said:

Remember most of the time you have to do Ocean View or higher to get the included perks.

It looks like, as of this past April, their new policy for booking with perks include insides ! And transatlantics too. 😀

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Sail_Your_Way_Elements_FAQs_internal.pdf

On 6/27/2019 at 1:10 PM, JennVT said:

I see lots of posts/reviews from folks who are sailing in suites, balconies, etc but not much from the folks who are sailing insides. Even the reviews are scarce or the search function is failing me.

I'm also a first time cruiser and have finally gotten DH to consider joining a cousin on the Equinox in early January 2020. Key West and Cozumel! We would definitely be in an inside or an ocean view. Any feed back from folks who are sailing in those classes and probably not doing much in the way of specialties for dining? What was your experience like? Especially post dry dock.

We just booked an inside cabin on Edge for Feb 2020, so data for you yet,;). I will say though that there are levels of inside cabins. If budget allows, consider booking as close to mid ships as possible, on a lower deck - 7,8,9. This will put you further from the pool, but  give the most stable ride, which might be an important selling point for a first time cruise.

We usually sail in AQ and did a Sky Suite a few times.

A few years ago we couldn’t justify the difference in cost between AQ and a veranda

We had breakfast every day in the MDR and  found that the menu had a better selection and the pastries were the same as what was served in Luminae and Blu.  The also served the same juices and coffee.  

Lunch?   It is available in the MDR, buffet, Spa Cafe or mast grill.   All of the deserts are basically the same,  sweet, and otherwise tasteless.   Suites have Luminae on sea days.  

Food wise, why is it that many in Blu or Luminae want to order off of the MDR? 

Other than more space in a suite and some extra perks thru Michael’s Club lounge and the Persians Gardens for AQ  it is getting harder to justify the extra cost of those categories.

As written we sailed in Sky Suites, AQ and veranda,   It is BS that once you sailed in a suite you can never go back.   We have done it  as it is hard to justify the extra cost.   The only times we sailed in a suite was because it cost effective.    $100/day pp and up extra for a suite doesn’t cut the mustard for us.  Booking a cheaper category still allows us to sit at the Martini Bar or WCB, see the same shows and lay out on the upper deck and etc. and get the same burger at the Mast Grill.

happy cruising🌅🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cangelmd said:

We just booked an inside cabin on Edge for Feb 2020, so data for you yet,;). I will say though that there are levels of inside cabins. If budget allows, consider booking as close to mid ships as possible, on a lower deck - 7,8,9. This will put you further from the pool, but  give the most stable ride, which might be an important selling point for a first time cruise.

Totally agree with this.  Being midship is important to me not only due to it maybe having less motion but also because it is a quick walk to the center area of the ship that I seem to frequent more.  I also like to consider what is around me with regard to noise (even above/below).  I do tend to overthink though 🙂  I had an inside on the Edge and it was close to elevators, cabins above/below and it was midship, great location.

If you do stay in the inside cabin, use the Bridge View on your television as your "window."  That camera is always on and if you turn the brightness down on your TV, it won't be quite so bright in the evening.

As others have mentioned, I would at least try for an oceanview room for your first sailing.  Allows you to at least look out and see the ocean as you're moving along.  Keep in mind that when you are in port, you could have 'neighbors' on another ship looking down into your cabin.  

We have only sailed balconies though we are starting to see the appeal of saving some money on the longer cruises by going with an oceanview room.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, miched said:

Where did you find the info that "many" in in Blu or Luminae want to order off of the MR menu.

Personally, we have never ordered off of the MDR menu when eating in Luminae.😃

12 hours ago, miched said:

To take advantage of the more personalized service in a smaller venue vs. the MDR.  The MDR menus are not bad, but sometimes it can be a bit of a 'cattle call' in the MDRs during busy times.  

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

Where did you find the info that "many" in in Blu or Luminae want to order off of the MR menu.

Personally, we have never ordered off of the MDR menu when eating in Luminae.😃

Many is not all.  Read some of the other threads where members are disappointed when they can’t order from the MDR menu in Blu or Luminae. 

The whole point of my comment was that the MDR food is pretty good and not garbage as some (some,  not the same as  all)  may claim it to be.  People don’t need to book AQ or a suite to have good food.   Another option is to book a cheaper cabin and then purchase a specialty dining plan for every night of the cruise with the money saved.   That will really give them good service, supposedly the best food on the ship and the cost can be as less than $30 pp/dinner depending on the package..  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

5 hours ago, creativegenius said:

To take advantage of the more personalized service in a smaller venue vs. the MDR.  The MDR menus are not bad, but sometimes it can be a bit of a 'cattle call' in the MDRs during busy times.  

That is exactly what I am trying to point out.  If the food was that bad in the MDR passengers in Blu or Luminae wouldn’t be ordering off that menu.  Why would someone pay for a suite and then order from the MDR?   One reason is that was something they had before and liked it.   

We were very happy with the service we received in the MDR.  We always asked for and received a table for two.   We had select dining and if the servers on the first night were good we would request them every night.  We felt the service was just as good as in Blu and Luminae.   I don’t t think that the waiter will intentionally give worse service because you are in the MDR. Their livelihood relies on TIPS and the better the service the larger the extra gratuity at the end of the cruise.  Our wine glass was always kept full and many times we said no more.  For Breakfast they came around with exactly the same pastries,  and juices many, many times while dining.   Our coffee cup was never empty very long and many times we said next time by.  

It is also a fallacy that the best servers are in Blu and Luminae.  Wrong because

we had servers that were never on a cruise ship l before and that is the same with our cabin attendant. 

From my cruising experience on X after sailing in AQ and suites many times the menus do get a little tired and old but there are many choices and sometimes trying something different then what you may normally order may surprise you.   My wife just as a whim tried the meatloaf in Blu.   She loved it.  Problem is it isn’t consistent from  ship to ship and cruise to cruise.   She had it many times since and claims it isn’t the same as the first time and I agree.  Different presentation and possible recipe.  It is the same with many of the entrees.  They  seem to always change something to make it a little different, sometimes for the better but not very often.  

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Just returned from the Equinox. Had any time or your time dining. Got there 15 min early. In only 5 min we were let in and given a very nice table for two by the window. Service was fast and excellent. Each course arrived almost immediately after completing one. We ordered the NY Strip steak. It was very good, no worse than the Tuscan grill filet. What a surprise. The plates were so hot when the steak arrived. Needed to be careful not to touch them. No hot plate in the Tuscan grill. So what does that tell you. We desided to eat at the buffet the last evening. They were doing steaks to order. NY Strip or Ribeye. Your choice on a flame grill. To our astonishment. The steaks were perfect, very tender, juicy and excellent flavor. 10 or 12 oz. Nice size and thickness. Topped both of the others. Never would we have figured that.

We've been on the Equinox 4 times and always in an Inside cabin. There are inside cabins on deck 7, 8 and 9 forward of the front elevators that are on their own interior corridor. No one goes there and it is quiet as anything. It is a long layout rectangular cabin with the bathroom by the door and you walk in and the bed is on your left or right against the wall. The advantage on 9 is that you are only 2 decks from the pool deck and the Solarium is right up forward where DW spends a lot of time. We stayed on a higher deck in an inside which was on the deck with the Concierge Class cabins. We got a cabin upgrade for booking onboard. This inside was more of a square shape and you had a little bit of extra space. Again it was quiet up there and very airy and spacey. My observation of the location of the Oceanview cabins is that they are on a lower deck on the ship and it can feel more closed in and claustrophobic as the hallways just go on and on.

As far as being in the dark and not knowing what time it is in an inside, we always kept the light on in the bathroom which made midnight visits a little easier. Plus there is a little convenience called WAKE UP calls; just dial the Customer service desk and they'll gladly set one up for you. Plus we always bring a travel clock just in case you need to know in the middle of the night.

Someone addressed eating in the MDR as being in a cattle call. We always eat at fixed dining at the late seating. There is no cattle call at fixed dining. You go to your table with no problem. The food in the MDR is very good. We enjoy eating in the Oceanview cafe with no problems. Cruising should not get overcomplicated. We like to get off the ship in port and do excursions and not sit on a balcony doing nothing. On sea days DW gets up early and gets a swim in and gets a bed in the solarium and has a snack there.

In summary there is no reason you have to pay for a balcony or higher to enjoy yourself on the Equinox, like I said I think the OV deck gets claustrophobic. If you like a balcony good for you, go for it.

Personally I think in the Caribbean on a port intensive cruise I think it's not necessary.

Get out of your cabin and enjoy the ship.

Enjoy your cruising days.

• Like 1

We've always booked inside cabins and they have never bothered us.  We love being outside and have tons of windows at home, but we are only in the cabin to sleep, dress and bathe.  We love being around people so don't need a private balcony, we'd just as soon sit on the deck.  If I was assigned an ocean view I wouldn't care, just isn't a priority for us.