Equinox from the "cheap seats"?

JennVT

I see lots of posts/reviews from folks who are sailing in suites, balconies, etc but not much from the folks who are sailing insides. Even the reviews are scarce or the search function is failing me.

I'm also a first time cruiser and have finally gotten DH to consider joining a cousin on the Equinox in early January 2020. Key West and Cozumel! We would definitely be in an inside or an ocean view. Any feed back from folks who are sailing in those classes and probably not doing much in the way of specialties for dining? What was your experience like? Especially post dry dock.

If you are going to use this cruise to judge cruising, you might want to at least consider Ocean View or Balcony cabins.

On the Jan 4, 2020 cruise the pricing is not that different.

Inside            - Start at 759pp

Ocean View - Start at 849pp

Balcony        - Start at 849pp

Just a thought.

Happy cruising!

Edited by bookitdanno
  • Like 3

I think you will find that the food in both the Oceanview buffet and the dining room is quite good and quite varied on the buffet. The sweets in Cafe Al Baccio are free. You do not have to buy a coffee there to get these. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bookitdanno said:

If you are going to use this cruise to judge cruising, you might want to at least consider Ocean View or Balcony cabins.

Just a thought.

Happy cruising!

I agree...an Oceanview is probably a good option to start with.  Me, I like a Balcony....my neighbors cruise a LOT on Celebrity, and always take an inside.  They love it, but they keep every blind shut tight in their home, whereas my Wife and I hardly have anything on the windows.  Point being, they live in a cave year round.  Zero natural light in their home.  Thus the insides appeal to them.  

Your cabin, on a Solstice Class ship (of which the Equinox is one) whether an inside, oceanview or balcony cabin will be exactly the same size with the exact same furnishings and bathroom.  It is entirely up to you how much money you want to spend and what your priorities are.  We’ve sailed a transatlantic in an inside but normally book balconies because I spend a lot of time on one.  I’ve never booked a suite because I don’t want to spend that much money.  No one onboard will know what type of cabin you are in or how much you paid.

And you will have access to the same food and shows, etc as everyone else (with the exception of suite class.)

• Like 2

For your first cruise, nothing wrong with going inside or ocean view. Personally I spend very little time in the cabin except to sleep and change clothes.  Then you can see if cruising is for you or not and then you can make a decision on what type of cabin you would want on a future cruise.

Norma

• Like 4

You may want to consider booking a "guarantee veranda".  That way you will save money and often get a veranda for the same price as an inside.  The difference is that they will assign the cabin.  That is something to consider. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bookitdanno said:

Just a thought.

Happy cruising!

This is just a five day cruise. The pricing is accurate but doesn't include around $100 and gratuities of $103 which means you can add around $200 p.p. to the above price.

We've never stayed in an inside cabin but my friend didn't like it because she could never tell day or night. She went with OV on the next cruise. It's been suggested that you put the TV on the channel that has the ships bow when you go to sleep so you know day and night. We always did OV but for our honeymoon in 2007 we went with a balcony. Because of that experience we always do a balcony. For us it's worth it in so many ways.

Have a wonderful cruise no matter what cabin you're in!

• Thanks 1

It's your first cruise.  To really appreciate the experience it helps to book at least an oceanview.  If today's prices are higher than you want to spend then just book and inside cabin and keep an eye on prices for a trade-up opportunity.  Sometimes as you get close to sailing balconies can sell for little more than an inside.

• Like 2

My husband and  have sailed on Celebrity with  inside , oceanview and balcony state rooms. Each has its pluses and minuses. I have learned the location can be more important than the view . I love balconies!!!! Especially aft ones so I can watch the wake. But I also love not having to walk a mile to the elevators every time I leave the stateroom way back there. My next cruise is an inside, near the back elevators and we'll have just as much fun in that lowly😁 stateroom. And the dark room is always great for sleeping late after an evening of drinks under the stars up on deck.

As someone earlier said, the state rooms in these categories are the same size. 

The state room category shouldn't make much of a difference in your cruise experience . As a new cruiser, there is so much to see, learn, and do that it's all exciting and different and cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You do what works best for YOU and your budget!!  We have done inside for up to 14 days, outside and Balcony   All are good, and everyone gets the same ship.  Our first ever cruise was an upgrade to a suite, but we would never spend that much money on our own for a cruise, as we could do 2 or 3 in an inside/outside or balcony.  I would rather travel more often than blow it all at one time.

Remember, even with a window, at night it is pitch black so you see nothing.  When you are at home and go to sleep, AT NIGHT, most people close the blinds and use an alarm clock to wake up, so whats the difference!

What ever you decide you will love it. Do what works for YOU

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you decide on an inside, the inside cabins on deck 9 & 10 just forward of the middle elevators are larger. Around 200 sq ft. We've been in 9256 and 1092 on the Silhouette and they are more square than rectangle.  They are very comfortable. 

• Like 2

I too have sailed Inside(my first cruise), Oceanview and Veranda cabins, and as you can see, having an Inside did not dampen my enthusiasm for taking cruise vacations.  Everyone is correct, the three cabin categories(with some exceptions)have nearly the exact same square footage inside, and no one will ever know what cabin you're staying in unless you tell them. Do what your budget will allow, and maybe check out some social media videos on each category to get an idea of what they look like.

• Like 3

We have sailed inside, ocean view and balcony. Nothing wrong with inside... except being aware of what time of day .... you might bring a small clock... Now that DH's mobility is limited... we go balcony...in case he isn't up to leaving the cabin.. but generally we don't spend much time in the cabin... This is particularly true when you are new to cruising... you likely want to explore and try various activities. Basically I would rather do multiple cruises over the course of the year by saving $ on cabin cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 39august said:

I think you will find that the food in both the Oceanview buffet and the dining room is quite good and quite varied on the buffet. The sweets in Cafe Al Baccio are free. You do not have to buy a coffee there to get these. 

Good question we are thinking of an inside for our first X cruise. but explain the different buffets based on rooms. Will we be limited on where to eat?

6 minutes ago, NC State said:

Good question we are thinking of an inside for our first X cruise. but explain the different buffets based on rooms. Will we be limited on where to eat?

The buffet is the same for everyone. And all Inside, Oceanview and balcony state rooms use the Main Dining Room, except for AquaClass balconies and Suites which have their own smaller dining rooms with different menus. 

These are the only 2 dining venues that are limited by what category state Room you book. (The suites do have a lounge, too).

So dining is not really limited at all.😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NC State said:

Except for Luminae(suites only dining room) and Blu(Aqua Spa cabin dining room), all restaurants are open to every passenger. The buffet and main dining room meals are included in your cruise cost, while almost all the specialty restaurants charge an extra fee and require reservations.  The only "limit" for the Main Dining Room is either fixed time(two seating sessions, and you dine at the same time and table every night) or select dining(your choice of time and table every night) which you(hopefully) choose yourself.

Me and my brother used to get the inside rooms which was fine since we never stayed in the room that much. 

One thing is to set an alarm because not having outside light is disorienting when you wake up since it's sometimes 6 AM and sometimes 12:30 PM if you just let yourself sleep until you wake up. 

6 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We stayed in an inside cabin on our very first cruise, never again. Like sleeping in a walk in closet with the only light being the light that comes in under the door. It's a deal breaker for us.

Sounds like a step above solitary confinement.

Check out the prices.  Often there are very small differences between the categories.  

We have stayed inside , oceanview , balcony, Conceirges and Aqua Class. Next cruise for us is a 15 night inside. The cabins are the same. The only thing missing is daylight. We are not willing to spend $1000 between us for a window and more for a balcony on this one. We set wake up calls but neither of us ever sleep in anyway. At the moment a balcony is $1100 more EACH than what we paid. That is another whole cruise.

For your first cruise you will rarely be in the cabin. There is so much to do and so many places to explore on the ship. . Then on post days you are not home anyway!!

• Like 2

I like my balcony because it makes me feel more connected to the ocean which is one of the biggest attractions I love about cruising.  Personal preference.  That said, my last cruise was an inside, thought it would be just fine and it mostly was.  The room is similar size to a balcony so was not a downside at all, it was primarily the disconnect with what is going on outside and I personally missed my ability to walk on my balcony to view my surroundings, I love sailing into the port first thing in the morning and watching it all from my room, this is one of my favorite things.

If you put that aside, nothing else about an inside was a negative to me.  I would love to sail in a suite but that will never be in my budget and I really don't care if it ever is to be honest.  Non suite guests get to visit and utilize most areas of the ship, eat in MDR and buffet and have access to specialty restaurants ($$) so I would not let that sway any room choice for me.  I am a buffet person so I tend to gravitate there anyway so all good.

Soo ... unlike what some have said about your first cruise and that maybe you should do a balcony, I tend to disagree a bit.  If you have decided the cost of an inside cabin aligns with your budget choices then I say stick with that and if you like it (which I'm you will !) then you are not thinking you have to do a balcony all the time when you sail again and again and again.  🙂